• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 09:51 PM

you know I am about half tempted to buy a 4 row, sell off a couple units and let the other guy pay for mine.
From what i have seen so far two unit machines cost as much as 4.

Yes, they are kind of like small farm tractors.  A smaller used 45hp can cost you more than an equally used 150hp tractor.

• larryd said thank you

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 10:03 PM

http://rdhoutdoors.c...1_Planters.html

Thanks for the link Gary!! I will bookmark that site and watch their inventory.
  • larryd said thank you

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 10:07 PM

I wonder if your not planting a lot, would the smaller metal hoppers be better than the big plastic and fiberglass hoppers?
I am thinking if the seed gets low in the hoppers it might not fall in the plates as well?
  • larryd said thank you

#19 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,443 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 04:05 AM

That's a good question Wolfgang. The way the planting unit mounts to a toolbar they can be adapted. I have seen several guys mount a single unit to a Garden Tractor and even set up for a sleeve hitch. If the ground it tilled properly I think it would do fine.
Now one might get into trouble in No Till Ground where no tilliage is done before planting?

But I avoid as many chemicals as possible, so would not be doing any no-til.
Years ago I had a friend(since 8th grade) who pulled a pull type 2 row JD Model 70 planter with a 317 JD garden tractor growing sweet corn. I am sure I could run two rows with the Ford or pull one easily enough with my JD 318.

I do have a Category 1 3 point on the Ford and that unit would be a  simple matter of matching the plates to the seed and do the job.

It's as you said, it's a qiestion of your soil. Our soil here is clayey and other parts are pebbly - there you have to work hard w/ your tiller and a one row planter!

#20 oldironmm OFFLINE  

oldironmm
  • Member No: 32034
  • 9 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 05:35 PM

Some of the people out here in the midwest are starting to use John Deere 7000 planter units to made a 1or 2 row planters. The nice thing about these planters are you can still get parts for them or use Kinze parts. They good planters. Maybe something to look into. Just trying to give you another idea or way.
  • JD DANNELS said thank you

#21 oldironmm OFFLINE  

oldironmm
  • Member No: 32034
  • 9 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 09:07 PM

JD just was checking to see where you live, you live in Iowa like I do just on the other side of I-35. Che k on craigslist off and on. Sometime they list foodplot planters. I have seen Allis's and John Deeres. I also know you can find the complete planter on a farm sell and just cut it down to what you want. Good luck. I'll be interested in how it works for planting pumpkins.

#22 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 10:32 AM

this is what I build with a 7000 JD unit.

IMG_20130502_163255_572.jpg

• olcowhand and JD DANNELS have said thanks

#23 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for reminding me Ducky!! I will have to go back and find that thread with your build.

For some strange reason I was thinking you had built an air planter?  You probably grow more sweetcorn than anyone else on this site.

That is a nice looking planter.

• ducky said thank you

#24 Dirtdoc OFFLINE  

Dirtdoc

• Member No: 4434
  • 12 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 09:19 PM

buy a Cole planter. Will plant corn,beens, pumpkins, melons, not so good on spinach,beets, turnips,ect.. buy jang planter for this. cost is little less than JD 71...but harder to find. I use yanmar 155d for most of my garden work. Good Luck. Greg

#25 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 11:51 PM

Thanks for reminding me Ducky!! I will have to go back and find that thread with your build.

For some strange reason I was thinking you had built an air planter?  You probably grow more sweetcorn than anyone else on this site.

That is a nice looking planter.

If I can find an air/vacuum unit I would love to build that one.  I have planted corn, peas, and pumpkins with great results.  I have not removed any fingers from the from the seed unit for pumpkins so we just thin as required for now.  I do have another finger unit that I plan to do that with.  We are running corn at 25000 plants/acre and peas in double rows at 50000 plants/acre.  We are going to add more drive sprockets so it will be easier to vary our populations.  When I do that I will update the planter build. 

#26 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 08:02 AM

I will be looking forward to you update and seeing how you add the sprockets.

I have been scouting around on the net looking at options. The White Air Planters are well thought of and seem to be very adaptable.

Since they use an electric blower to power the fan.  The one concern I had was they said it took a 60 amp alternator to kep up with it.

I think my Ford 1500 only has about a 30 amp alternator.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 31, 2013 - 08:13 AM.

#27 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 08:11 AM

buy  Cole pl nter.  Will pl nt corn,beens, pumpkins, melons, not so good on spin ch,beets, turnips,ect.. buy  j ng pl nter for this. cost is little less th n JD 71...but h rder to find.  stupid putor won't print the letter before 'B'...fill in the bl nk..lol... I use y nm r 155d for most of my g rden work.  Good Luck.  Greg

I have never seen a Cole Planter in this part of the country. I would sure look at one if I could.

The Yanmar 155D is a nice tractor. I looked at one the night before I found the Ford on Craig List.

The right front wheel was wobbly and I was concerned with what it would take to fix it.

I have later learned there was a wedge shaped pinch bolt in the kingpin that wears and is not expensive or difficult to replace.

#28 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 06:12 PM

Here is a small planter unit I stumbled onto that is very reasonably priced. I bought one this July and planted some old soybean seed with it for a cover crop after sweet corn. I also broadcast and tilled in some beside the planted area. Apparently the seed was too old because none of it came up. I haven't gotten any more seed to try it again.

http://new.hosstools...-page/seeder-4/

• MH81 said thank you