5 replies to this topic

#1 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 07:38 AM

Has anyone used these blades? The site has great things to say about them but of course they want to sell them to you. I must say it appears to be a good idea. I think I have seem similar setups on the tractor mowers the state uses to mow roadsides.

Larry

http://www.meg-mo.com/

• larryd and JRJ have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 08:35 AM

I saw a couple of systems like that 30 - 40 years ago. It seemed to work good until it hit a few rocks then a blade would fly off. The big mowers where a chain is used work well. I would be quite careful about it. Good Luck, Rick
  • larryd said thank you

#3 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 11:06 AM

I'm sceptical of these things

larryd

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 12:00 PM

As far as function, I would bet they DO mow better.  They are like a discbine cutter head.  Our discbine only has 2 blades per head, BUT, they spin at a much faster speed than an average mower, so will have the same effect as 4 on the meg-mo.  Our New Holland 1411 discbine has short blades that look pretty much just like the meg-mo blades, and talk about being able to cut at fast speeds!  I can cut faster than safe to drive the tractor in a field.  What I would be concerned about is blade breakage.   We break several blades a season on our discbine, but it has a rubber apron to help stop a broken blade.  In a lawn mower, they could be dangerous for anyone within a long range even outside your own yard.

#5 joel christensen OFFLINE  

joel christensen

• Member No: 5954
  • 37 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 12:39 PM

I got a set for my JD 317.  They work well and cut great.  I had gator blades on the mower before and I thought that they seemed to take a little bit more power to shred the clippings while cutting.  With the Meg Mo blades It seems I can go faster and still get a good cut in most conditions except for really tall grass, which just needs more time to get out of the chute.

• olcowhand and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 01:54 PM

I got a set for my JD 317.  They work well and cut great.  I had gator blades on the mower before and I thought that they seemed to take a little bit more power to shred the clippings while cutting.  With the Meg Mo blades It seems I can go faster and still get a good cut in most conditions except for really tall grass, which just needs more time to get out of the chute.

Welcome to GTT Joel.