25 replies to this topic

#16 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 12:15 PM

Sometimes it takes a while for the payoff to come. I spent 2 yrs looking for a Scut/Compact Tractor. The wife thought I should get a larger GT Than my 318. When I brought home the 1500 Ford with 15" front wheels and 24" rear tires last September. The Skeptical look in her eyes was deafening.

Last week when I dug a 70 ft row of potatoes and brought them to the house in less than an hour, She Said"  at our age that would have taken a day and a half digging with a fork. And I only found three potatoes that were showing minor damage(you are eating them for breakfast tomorrow morning). With a few more implements, that tractor is going to save  us a ton of time."

I took that as permission to buy a few more implements?

Now THAT is an endorsement!  I dug a row of potatoes this morning with my little Massey, went MUCH faster than digging by hand.  I'm still a little concerned about loosing 'taters in the dirt, how do you go about finding the ones that aren't clearly visible?

• farmer john said thank you

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 12:28 PM

Now THAT is an endorsement!  I dug a row of potatoes this morning with my little Massey, went MUCH faster than digging by hand.  I'm still a little concerned about loosing 'taters in the dirt, how do you go about finding the ones that aren't clearly visible?

After I had picked up all I could find and "Kicked around some Clods"( :wave: ). I went back through on either side of the furrow with the middlebuster. I only found about 6  potatoes I had missed.

I plowed plenty deep and most of the potatoes rolled right back in the furrow, there were not that many that were outside the furrow..

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 26, 2013 - 12:30 PM.

• HowardsMF155, twostep and farmer john have said thanks

#18 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 01:05 PM

Hi all, Well i was hooking up the trailer and going for a little road trip with my son when my wife came outside , told her i would be back in an hour or so. it was a nice day so she said she wanted to come for the ride, oh great!!! we all jump in the truck and she asks me where are we going, i tell here lewiston ny, why? i have to pick up something, what? stuff, what type of stuff? snowblower, for what? for doing snow, but you have a snow blower, i tell her i dont have a wheel horse one, she says why do we need the trailer? jiggs up might as well try and slide it past her now, well this paticular blower happens to come with a wheel horse 310-8 and a rototiller, get the look and am asked when this is going to end, I bite my tonge, its an 1 1/2 drive, but now that no ones around i can tell the world the answer NEVER!!!!! BWA HA HA HA HA !!!!! she has to go back to work in sept, theres a guy with 2 wheel horses 1057 in rotchester hope he can wait till then, she'll never know ha ha

Your a regular GT Lecter, lol

• farmer john said thank you

#19 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 01:36 PM

When my Monster in Law was here last time she got my wife complaining about my tractors. They were in full blow over it and I could hear it all over the baby monitor in my shop so I went inside. I asked them where they would rather have me - in the shop 50 feet out the back door or across town at a bar/strip club/crack house? They both agreed that the back yard was a far better place.

• WHdbJD, boyscout862, twostep and 2 others have said thanks

#20 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 01:45 PM

Been here on this and here it all the time!  Promised this was "The Last One" about 5 tractors ago, even with here along to get them. Think she really likes the roadtrips sometimes too, just won't admit. Trying to sell some now and having only a little luck with that. Really not thinning the herd, just making more room for the ones that are "growing up", ha! I actually have several done and running again now, but have no real use for them, so maybe time to go. Once they are done and working, they just take up space and the "fun" factor is gone then. Can't use them and get them dirty and damaged you know!

• boyscout862, farmer john and OkieGt have said thanks

#21 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 06:09 PM

My wife encourages me to get as many as I want, or can. Well duh, it's my money that i buy them with not hers, I dont tell her which kitchen appliciance she can buy. It amazes me how so many wives think, "your money is our money and her money is hers", lol 

• twostep and farmer john have said thanks

#22 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 10:25 PM

...where they would rather have me - in the shop 50 feet out the back door or across town at a bar/strip club/crack house?

I use the same excuse... I just tell everybody that it keeps me out of the bars... and I probably spend less too!

• boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#23 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 11:00 PM

no joke... my wife isn't that type (thank you Lord) but womens shoes cost as much if not more than good work/hunting boots!

My wife's last bag that I know "about" was over 500 bucks :ah_shoot:

P.S. Two years ago a few of our cars parked in the yard were broken into, they took her purse and glasses along with some other stuff (GPS, cd's,sun glasses, etc, anyway they got caught, after things were added up by the police, they were charged with "grand larceny" one got two years in jail and the other was a minor and received 1 year in kids jail and probation until 21. Bet they like me didn't realize how much a purse can cost :D

#24 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 11:02 PM

I get questions all the time about how much are my tractors worth. When people reduce things to money, I turn and walk away and dont bother answering them. I know who they are, they are worshippers of money, a mortal sin and character flaw.

#25 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • Member No: 39058
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 03:05 PM

Yeah I've had similar conversations with my wife. Some times I have been out of line too with the amount I was spending on my hobbies while stuff was needed in our home. She has sometimes helped me see what was really important. I am truly grateful for my wife who is generally very understanding and supportive of things I enjoy (in this case GT's). I love her! When she wants new shoes, I usually try to make sure she gets them. (She doesn't have a closet full of them) I'm not sure but I might have more tractors than she has pairs of shoes.

Edited by breimer, July 28, 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#26 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 06:36 PM

I had this conversation after my third tractor. Eventually she gave up and found it easier just to help find more tractors to purchase.

• michelle, twostep and farmer john have said thanks