• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 12:08 PM

Thanks Joe i'll have to look that one up.

#17 jdlbz OFFLINE  

jdlbz
  • Banned
  • Member No: 40134
  • 10 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Load tires and wheel weights

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

• T Guiles said thank you

#18 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 08:46 PM

I replaced the engine in my Ford 80 this winter with a much lighter engine, eliminating the starter-generator, too.  I had never pushed snow before, so I didn't know how much the angled blade would normally move the tractor.  I had very little steering when the blade was in the snow.  It was best for me to take small bites, and angle the blade downhill when plowing across the hill.  The tendency to slide downhill somewhat counteracted the blade's sideways push.

This spring I plowed the garden with a moldboard plow, and realized just how much of a problem the light front end is.  As soon as the plow sucked into the dirt, the front end would lift and turn.  My solution was to add some steel plate and lead ingots to the front end and load the front tires.  Those little tires only a bit more than a gallon of washer fluid each, but it helped.  I expect pushing snow will be much better this winter.

On the rear end, I had wheel weights (40 lbs each) and about 50 lbs of spare tire chains under the seat.  I had chained turfs working the driveway and garden.  Last week I got a set of tubed Carlisle ags, which I might load.  Those tires cost more than I paid for the tractor!

Edited by bja105, August 01, 2013 - 08:48 PM.

• T Guiles said thank you