• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 12:01 AM

How did I know that would get some reaction.........LOL.   :smilewink:  I've read a few articles on loading the tires vs wheel weights that's raised a few questions.                                                                                           1.   what do the ford - jake owners choose and why?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 2.  if I load the tires will this cause slop in the steering?s Seem's like the extra weight would cause more wear on the entire setup.Next to the plastic dash/ hydro cover, the steering seem's like the only weak spot in a machine built like a TANK.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    I have a large plow that was modified by the PO and am afraid that the front end will wash if I try to plow the deep wet snow.  I do have chains on  and I have a set of plastic coated wheel weights that might fit, haven't tried them yet.    So please let me know what you do for extra weight and bite....Thanks                                                                                                                                                   After thought,  are the 165lgt  and the 195lgt plows the same in size?  and yes I'll get some pics posted of the plow.  

• larryd said thank you

#2 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 03:48 AM

The plows are different. The 195 is a much larger machine. I don't have a plow. But on my 165, with my 42" blower, I used a weight box. I put two sets of wheel weight and two sets of extra chains in it. That did the trick for me. I have a long flat driveway. I would not fill the tires myself. The steering is well built. Yours is probably worn.[attachment=78788:image

Joe

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• larryd and T Guiles have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 04:26 AM

I haven't had the opportunity to plow snow, so don't know what my LGT 165 might need for that. But I do have 75# of weights on each back wheel!

• larryd, OkieGt and T Guiles have said thanks

#4 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 05:37 AM

Tire Chains and about 200 lbs on the back. It had fluid in the tires when I got the GT but it had rusted the rims out so I replaced them and didn't put fluid back in. This worked better than expected.

I put an aggressive tread tire on the front to keep the front from sliping.

Edited by Arti, July 26, 2013 - 05:40 AM.

• larryd and T Guiles have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 06:17 AM

From reading your post it seems you are concerned about the front end sliding sideways when plowing heavy snow. I'd say that is a valid concern and one that I've had to deal with over the years. I don't have a Ford but this applies to all GT's. If you want to keep weight on the front end then use rear wheel weight for traction and not weight hanging off the rear end. Wheel weight, either loading or bolt on, will put the weight right where it needs to be to provide traction, won't add to rear axle load and won't transfer weight off the front wheels. For front weight I'd say to try loading the fronts. Having good tires on the front and running them with the right pressure is also important. Go through your steering system and try to get as much of the slack out of it as possible.  The front wheel bearings, spindles and axle should be inspected for wear. The blade will put a lot of weight on the front end when it is lifted and will increase steering effort, particularly if the front end is worn.

In heavy snow my 3000+lb 4wd 2320 will push sideways when plowing with the blade angled, so it will happen. Some things you can do to combat this are to try to plow short runs with the blade as straight as possible. if your tractor has a Dif lock it will help keep you going straight. If the blade has skid shoes, getting them set to the right height makes a big difference. If the blade digs in or doesn't clean close enough to the ground you will have trouble pushing snow. Size of blade is important but it needs to be wide enough to cover the rear wheels when the blade is angled. Too wide will make it harder to push heavy snow and easier to break something. Whatever the factory blade was for that tractor would be the best width in most cases. Chains are something you should always have for plowing if you need to push heavy snow. They are a necessity IMO and not too expensive for GT sizes. 

• CRFarnsworth, bgkid2966, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 10:35 AM

First of all, I have onlly seen pictures of the 195 on this site, so know little about it. Living in Iowa 63 yrs I do know a little about pushing . snow.  I can think of no reason weights or loading tires would cause excessive wear in the frontend any more than it already is.

Weight you hang off the front will lever weight off the rear, by using the frame as a lever. The same goes for weight hung off the 3 point. I have filled a 3 point dirt scoop and had to do all sterring with brakes.

So with a Blade, you will want to add weight on the rear. The first year on my acreage I had a 318 with a snow blower. I could get out of the garage and down the hill, but could not even lift the blower and get back to the garage until I went and bought a set of chains. I agree with Brian, I would not even consider plowing snow without chains.

Under enough load on the blade I think even a D6 Cat(tons of weight) would side slip.

Does your 195 have sterring brakes?? They make a bigger difference than you can imagine!!

My Ford 1500 weighs 2,000 pounds and with a 5 ft rear blade on my 1/4 mile lane often the brakes do far more steering than the steering wheel. I was told when I bought the Ford the tires were loaded, I found that not to be true( a relief since in my teens I changed some tires loaded with Calcium and hated trying to pull a tube rusted off the rims, I don't like corrosive loads!) but it does have plenty of wheel weights and while I can spin the tires on snow and under a heavy load on dirt, Traction is not a problem.

The trick is in finding that balance between front and back. 

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 26, 2013 - 10:44 AM.

• KennyP, bgkid2966, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#7 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 01:08 PM

Let some air out of the front tires and wrap a piece of bike chain around it and connect it, then air the tire up to hold it on, and it will improve steering, not sure if that will help traction though

• bgkid2966 and T Guiles have said thanks

#8 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 07:50 AM

I have to agree about being pushed when snow is heavy and plow is angled. I have had my 15 yard 6 wheeler pushed sideways when

loaded to 65,000 lbs and pushing wet snow. It happens. As far as adding traction, the wheel weights are best and chains are a necessity.

Loading the tires is a great idea as long as it is not a corrosive material. Just my 2 cents.

Geno

• T Guiles said thank you

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 08:13 AM

I see no drawbacks from loading tires. It doesn't hurt the lawn, unless you have tri ribs on the front.

The only issue is using calcium chloride like Arti experienced. That causes rust. Windshield washer fluid, rv antifreeze, or beet juice will not do that.

The price between weights and fluid are close, and weights are easier to install.

The roller chain trick Okie mentioned works great for getting bite when the blade is angled or turning.

#10 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 04:00 PM

Thank's for all the input, I had a 72 sears 12hp  suburban with wheel weights and chains that would slide the front end if the plow was angled at all.  The ford is a much larger and heavier tractor,and I do have 2 sets of wheel chains I'll put on her before winter with wheel weights. Thanks for all the responses from everyone. I have learned a few new tricks for additional traction that i will put into use Thanks again everyone  

#11 nycub122 OFFLINE  

nycub122

• Member No: 4045
  • 24 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 06:09 AM

T Guiles:
I use my LGT 165 for snow plowing, also.
I use AG tires on the rear, loaded with Rim Guard and tire chains (ice cleats).
Haven't had any problems with traction in wet/heavy snow.
GEL

#12 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 12:05 AM

The way the fords mount the blades to the rear end seems lie it would transfer the weight of the plow to the rear end rather well.I'm like a kid at Christmas with a new toy but I'm in no hurry to play " I hate the snow" how are you making out with your mower deck? I was on the central tractor website and was surprised to see how many parts they have for mower decks "springs etc.." and thought of you. Are you going to the Light House Landing Campgrounds this weekend " aug  3rd" for the tractor pulls and show?

#13 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 04:34 AM

Weight up the tires with fluid and weights! And if you plan to use the factory (mickey mouse) plow , you will want to also add a bit to the 3 point hitch too. As the factory design TAKES AWAY weight from the rear the harder it pushes. BUT it steers great!! Won't push, but at least you can turn..... Poor design... And it doesn't lift very high either, another serious flaw in my book. That is the only bad feature of these Fords to date, the plow was a bad joke and doesn't work like everything else does. Minor in comparisson to all the other attachments and features.

#14 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 12:05 AM

Thanks skyrydr2 a few years back I  had a sears suburban 12 horse  and the plow mounted to the front end, and  was great you could lift the plow high enough but the front end would slide if the plow was angled. It did have wheel weights and chains so plenty of bite I'm just getting back into the fords and am trying to learn as much as I can about the LGT's, finding used parts in upstate is hard and attachments are few and far between. personally i'd rather have a two stage snow blower than a plow any day but I've got to work with what I have.Thanks again for everyone's input I'm looking forward to playing in the white stuff, you never know their might be a plow for sale next spring

#15 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 06:08 AM

If you don't mind driving. Or, can make arrangements to have someone ferry it back east for you. There's a two stage in the classifieds in Michigan.

Joe