Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 10:43 AM

I have a Dayton 3Z678B--same chassis as the White 1855 or MTD995.  I used it to till my garden earlier this spring, and also to mow a half acre pasture earlier this spring.

IMG_20130617_193320_123.jpg IMG_20130617_193431_703.jpg

Yesterday I hooked up my 3 point aerator attachment to aerate a friends lawn about 1/4 mile from me.  The tractor started fine and ran fine for 20 minutes or so, but then the engine started hunting like it was fuel starved--pulling out the choke a little helped, but it got worse... to the point that it stalled. 

I was able to drive it back to my yard--at an idle, and the choke all the way out, though it stalled a couple times in the process.

It's powered with a B&S 420 series 18 hp twin.

I pulled the top off the carb and there was very little fuel in the bowl..but no sediment or deposits, either. The engine was also very hot--the intake manifolds so much that I couldn't put my hands on them without getting burned.

I noticed that when I inverted the top of the carb, the brass float wasn't level per the specs-- it would be too low and not let enough fuel in, so I bent the tab to level it out. While it was off, I used carb cleaner to blow through the various ports including the fuel inlet and the high speed jet port--though no deposits of any kind were found.

I reinstalled the carb and adjusted the high speed jet a little richer.

Started it up and let her run--ran fine in the shade of the big ash tree in my yard, but when I started working her out in the sun, same problem.

The fuel line isn't restricted, and has a plastic shroud-- like those used for electrical wires, over it to protect it from the heat of the engine.

I think the fuel is vaporizing in the carb as the engine heats up, thus creating a low fuel situation.  I'm thinking it may help if I remove the side panels, but does anyone else have any suggestions as how to cure the problem??

Thanks in advance,

Smitty

• larryd and JRJ have said thanks

#2 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 11:41 AM

Is the fuel line collapsoning

larryd

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 12:07 PM

larryd

It may be..  Could just be 'moo-ha' in the tank or pluggage somewhere..  Don't run the thing with the bowl level that low..  You don't want to toast the engine & that thing's a beast!  If the fuel line looks original- replace it..  Take a flashlight and examine what the bottom of the fuel tank looks like (no smoking now!)

If things are new/clean, fuel pump gets my vote..

All I got!

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#4 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 12:12 PM

larryd

That's a possibility--I couldn't see it collapsed, but most of it is in the shroud... It's clear fuel-rated tubing... maybe I need a piece of regular rubber fuel line... tends to insulate better, anyhow.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, July 25, 2013 - 12:12 PM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 12:44 PM

Maybe you have a mouse nest in the shroud that is causing overheating of the engine and fuel. It has happened to me in just one week of sitting. I hate rodents! Good Luck, Rick
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,299 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 03:02 PM

Ditto on the Rodents.Those little buggers move in pretty quickly.

Another good possibility is the Fuel pump diaphragms are getting Hard.They run very very hot if they are running Lean.

Briggs twins love to run a bit rich,but lean them out a little and they act up pretty bad.

It has a Vanguard in it?

Edited by EricFromPa, July 25, 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 03:08 PM

Maybe you have a mouse nest in the shroud that is causing overheating of the engine and fuel. It has happened to me in just one week of sitting. I hate rodents! Good Luck, Rick

Thanks for the suggestion... I did clean the fins out a couple months ago, before I tilled with it, so I don't think that's the problem...

Smitty

#8 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 05:04 PM

The pulse fuel pump was the culprit in my case. Had similar symptoms and would not restart until cooled down.

#9 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 08:03 PM

I also had similar symptoms on my GTX-18 although that is a Kohler Magnum but my problem was also fuel pump related.  It used a mechanical pump similar to an automotive one.  When the pump got hot enough, after about 20 min., one of the plastic check valves would drop out of its seat and cause the same lean conditions you're having.

#10 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 11:09 PM

I ran into the guy I sold the JD 317 to and talked to him about it--he's a small engine mechanic.  He said that it was probably the pump, and that they're always a problem because the ethanol in gas today plays havoc with the rubber in the diaphrams, etc. 

I'm a little surprised this came on all of a sudden... but I guess I'll have to rebuild the pump...

Another question.  I have a couple new remote mount, pulse type pumps,  Can you use one of them to replace a mechanical pump that is NLA, and where do you hook up to???

Thanks,

Smitty

#11 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 11:29 PM

Ditto on the Rodents.Those little buggers move in pretty quickly.

Another good possibility is the Fuel pump diaphragms are getting Hard.They run very very hot if they are running Lean.

Briggs twins love to run a bit rich,but lean them out a little and they act up pretty bad.

It has a Vanguard in it?

Thanks for the suggestion.  The engine is a 18 hp flat head twin with horizontal crank-- a 420000 series...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: white 1855, mtd 995, engine stalling, fuel starvation