9 replies to this topic

#1 mhcrra1 OFFLINE  

mhcrra1
  • Member No: 41340
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 06:21 AM

Hi All,
Great forum....tons of good stuff on here.  My son has taken on the challenge of restoring an old Bolens 1050 that he bought recently.  We got it not running and have since rebuilt the carb, installed a new starter and changed all the ignition parts, wiring etc.  We had got it to start the other day without any ether and it would run for about a minute or two fairly well, then just die.  No matter how I messed with the settings, I could get it to fire back up (took a while) and it would run for about a minute, then die.  We left it on the battery charger to charge overnight and yesterday went to mess with it again....this time we couldn't even get it to fire unless we shot it with starting fluid.  Once it fired, it would only run for a few seconds and shut down.  I have tried resetting all of the carb adjustments as everyone has said to do, tried pretty much everything....cannot figure out what is wrong with this thing.  I admit, I know very little about carbs on these things...wish it was fuel injected. :-)
Looking for any ideas on where to go from here.
Thanks!!

#2 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 07:18 AM

Looking for any ideas

Clean, fresh gasoline?  ....Water will not burn.

Check to be certain the choke is closing completely.  .....Crank the engine for approx 10 seconds.  .....Remove the spark plug.

Is the plug wet or dry?  

.....If it is wet, fuel is being drawn into the cylinder, but the ignition may be faulty and not igniting the fuel/air mixture.

.....If it is dry, you may have a fuel problem (carb or clogged fuel line, etc), a vacuum leak (manifold or head gaskets), or poor compression (valve not seating, worn rings, blown head gasket, etc.)

Have you checked for adequate spark?  .....Remove the sparkplug and ground the shell of the plug against a head bolt.  ....While cranking, you should have a nice blue spark across the plug's gap.  ....Pale yellow or orange are signs of weak ignition or bad spark plug.

Those Wisconsin engines are very sensitive to ignition timing.  ....Setting the points with a continuity tester is much more accurate than using a feeler gauge.   ....Also, even though the points are new, are they clean?  ....Running a piece of brown paper bag between the contacts will remove any oxidation.

There is a fine filter screen in the fuel tank which may be clogged.  .....Remove the fuel line from the carb and verify that you have a steady, full, flow of gas from the tank.  .....If it just dribbles, you may have a bad fuel hose or clogged filter.

There are many possible causes for your no-start, so some basic troubleshooting needs to be performed.

• Bolens 1000, grand and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#3 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,444 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 07:44 AM

sorry, can't help you, but   :welcometogttalk:

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,786 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 08:00 AM

Welcome to GTT. You have started off with a great tractor. I agree with Bruce Dorsi but want to add check your wires too. Sometimes a wire will rub against a metal part and short out. You will need to tape it up and move it to prevent the short. Also, Check out our Manuals section. You can download three free manuals per day. Go for the Wisconsin, Bolens, and the Briggs And Stratton Manual http://gardentractor...pairman-manual/   .  It has good troubleshooting info. Good Luck, Rick

#5 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 08:38 AM

I could be that the low speed jet is clogged in the carb, may need to be taken off and boiled

#6 mhcrra1 OFFLINE  

mhcrra1
  • Member No: 41340
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 10:08 AM

THANK YOU for all of the great ideas.  I should have included a little more information too....sorry, didn't want you to think I was writing a book.

So, before actually firing it up this week, we have replaced ALL of the fuel system, cleaned out the tank, new tank valve with filter, new inline filter and all new fuel lines. 

New coil, new plug, new wire, new batt, new voltage reg, new plug wire, ALL new wires, tied up neat and tidy. 

Did rebuild the carb with a kit from NAPA, but I think it might have been missing a couple things...the throttle plate shaft is VERY sloppy and I know from other posts that could be a vacuum leak spot......

We have pulled the engine off and I am going to dismantle it, check for compression issues etc. and put it all back together with new gaskets.  One thing that is suspect...there appears to be a missing bolt from the head....that's probably NOT good.

I have tested the spark with the plug out to be sure I installed all of the ignition properly and it appears nice and strong.

Oh, I also found that the clip was missing off of the governor shaft....so it was able to move in and out about an inch, I'm sure that's not good for it....that's what prompted the engine removal and tear down.

Should I be leaning towards compression issues or carb issue do you think?

thanks again, everyone is so helpful here!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,786 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 12:39 PM

Since you have gone this far, with it all apart, atleast lap the valves and gap them. Follow the manuals and you will do great. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, July 25, 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#8 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 03:10 PM

Yep, your prbably going to find a burnt head gasket and leak, wont run but a short time like that. I think you found your  problem, Diagnosis is the hardest thing to learn. I try not to do anything until I find the problem, them I bring it to good maintanence standards.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 06:49 PM

:welcome: to GTtalk and Congrats on the 1050!! What ya don't know on your 1st few visits here, is only the start of many good reasons to keep coming back. Enjoy the site and when are you getting a Bolens for yourself ? Oh yeah, in case you didnt notice by now., 

:wewantpics:

#10 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 08:59 PM

I see that some of our great members here on the site are giving you some good advice. Your son made a very good choice when choosing a tractor. If my son didn't have mechanical skills I would have a lot of old tractors that didn't run. When you get time please post some pics.