8 replies to this topic

#1 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 09:18 PM

I'm putting on new axle pin bushings, thrust washers on the spindles and new tire rod ends, then burning, priming and painting the rims and Installing 25 x10.50-12 Carlisle All Trail2 rear tires and 18 x 6.00-8 front tires

http://s1197.photobu...html?sort=3&o=0

• hamman and larryd have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 06:22 AM

Mike, the tractor looks good but I have a question. What do you mean by burning the rear wheels? I just re finished a set of rear wheels and it's always a lot of work removing the old paint.  I'm curious about how you are doing it. 

• larryd and OkieGt have said thanks

#3 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 07:54 AM

Mike, the tractor looks good but I have a question. What do you mean by burning the rear wheels? I just re finished a set of rear wheels and it's always a lot of work removing the old paint.  I'm curious about how you are doing it. 

I pour an oily mix of gas, diesel, and oil right on the dead tires and set them on fire still on the rims, burns them off and the paint too, give them a soapy wash and a light wire brush and they are ready to paint. if you dont want to burn the tires, I suggest a small propane torch to burn the paint off, way quicker than stripper.

• JDBrian and larryd have said thanks

#4 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 10:05 AM

Mike it's looking good but burning the tires can be a messy job

larryd
  • OkieGt said thank you

#5 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 10:25 AM

I pour an oily mix of gas, diesel, and oil right on the dead tires and set them on fire still on the rims, burns them off and the paint too, give them a soapy wash and a light wire brush and they are ready to paint. if you dont want to burn the tires, I suggest a small propane torch to burn the paint off, way quicker than stripper.

Good Lord, I'm imagining the response around here if I lit a tire on fire.  The local authorities would probably call out the DEP, hazmat crews, and the National Guard.  I'd be in jail in 10 minutes flat. :D

We're not even allowed to burn brush, leaves, or fallen limbs any more.

• JDBrian and OkieGt have said thanks

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Good Lord, I'm imagining the response around here if I lit a tire on fire.  The local authorities would probably call out the DEP, hazmat crews, and the National Guard.  I'd be in jail in 10 minutes flat. :D

We're not even allowed to burn brush, leaves, or fallen limbs any more.

The real truth is about CO2 emissions they dont want you to know. Anytime a Mount St Helens or a volcano anywhere in the world erupts, it puts more emissions into the atmospere than has occurred in the last 50 years. Right now the coal we dig comes from dead plant life killed by massive volcano eruptions, if this event never happened we wouldn't have coal or gas. Right now in a way we are depositing energy onto the earth for genertions to come.Don't get me wrong I'm a FIRM believer in ecology, here at my house we recycle 70 percent of all waste, and we have NO laws or rules requiring us to do so. The CO2 problem is one we will have to tackle with both scinetist and people with a brain, i.e. critical thinkers. The issues and the solutions are as blurry to the public as ithey are to the enviromentalist. I believe there is global warming and that man has a part in it, but it isn't cars as much as it is cows. We add more CO2 by eating meat than driving cars, that's a fact, but people eat red meat and I'm gald of it. I have for health reasons started to add more poultry, fish, pork, and vegetables, not because I'm sick, but to improve health and reduce my consumption of red meat. Our national and local leaders are for the most part dipsticks elected by special interest and have no real interest in the people or enviroment

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 01:13 PM

The real truth is about CO2 emissions they dont want you to know. Anytime a Mount St Helens or a volcano anywhere in the world erupts, it puts more emissions into the atmospere than has occurred in the last 50 years. Right now the coal we dig comes from dead plant life killed by massive volcano eruptions, if this event never happened we wouldn't have coal or gas. Right now in a way we are depositing energy onto the earth for genertions to come.Don't get me wrong I'm a FIRM believer in ecology, here at my house we recycle 70 percent of all waste, and we have NO laws or rules requiring us to do so. The CO2 problem is one we will have to tackle with both scinetist and people with a brain, i.e. critical thinkers. The issues and the solutions are as blurry to the public as ithey are to the enviromentalist. I believe there is global warming and that man has a part in it, but it isn't cars as much as it is cows. We add more CO2 by eating meat than driving cars, that's a fact, but people eat red meat and I'm gald of it. I have for health reasons started to add more poultry, fish, pork, and vegetables, not because I'm sick, but to improve health and reduce my consumption of red meat. Our national and local leaders are for the most part dipsticks elected by special interest and have no real interest in the people or environment

Sorry, didn't mean to take your thread political.  I agree with just about everything you posted, I just had the funny image in my head of the politically correct response to burning tires. :D   It's also funny that you mention the "red meat" thing.  My wife grew up in Oklahoma (Lawton/Ft. Sill) and is often talking about how they had red meat and potatoes at every meal.  This part of the country tends to see more seafood, pork, and poultry mixed in.  I still get a kick out of how she won't eat real seafood.  Her idea of seafood is a Long John Silvers fish plank. :smilewink:   The point was just reinforced recently when we had one of her nieces come up to visit.  You should have seen the look on the niece's face when we were in Baltimore and I suggested she try a crabcake. :poke:

• OkieGt said thank you

#8 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 03:08 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to take your thread political.  I agree with just about everything you posted, I just had the funny image in my head of the politically correct response to burning tires. :D   It's also funny that you mention the "red meat" thing.  My wife grew up in Oklahoma (Lawton/Ft. Sill) and is often talking about how they had red meat and potatoes at every meal.  This part of the country tends to see more seafood, pork, and poultry mixed in.  I still get a kick out of how she won't eat real seafood.  Her idea of seafood is a Long John Silvers fish plank. :smilewink:   The point was just reinforced recently when we had one of her nieces come up to visit.  You should have seen the look on the niece's face when we were in Baltimore and I suggested she try a crabcake. :poke:

No, I didn't take it that way at all and your right about peoples eating habits. Just saw an article that said of all fast food LJS was the worst for you

#9 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 09:37 PM

Mike it's looking good but burning the tires can be a messy job

larryd

What part of working on these old tractors isn't messy, lol. I burn mine in a 55 gal drum