Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

4 Cyl. Gas Engine

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 08:01 PM

I'm looking at a tractor with a 4 cyl. Mazda gas engine.  How many hours could I expect to get out of this engine.  I think it has 1100 now.  They are supposed to be good engines.  I've been wanting another small diesel but they are tough to find in a package that I can afford.  This tractor is nice and would open me up to some regular PTO attachments but I'm hooked on the thought of another diesel right now.

• larryd and JRJ have said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 08:18 PM

We need some more info on it. Pictures or model of the tractor? I know wheel horse used a 4 cylinder Renault engine in their tractors.

• David Brown and larryd have said thanks

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 08:52 PM

You must be looking at a Satoh ( i think the gas one was an Elk).. I one model was gas and a little bigger than the Beaver/S370.
Mazda made a good engine and should be reliable. If it ran good I would not be afraid of it.
I looked at one at McKimms Implement in Oskaloosa,Ia about 2 yrs ago.. And he waited $2400 for it.
I passed on cause the wire loom looked like a cobbled up birds nest.

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 09:17 PM

You must be looking at a Satoh ( i think the gas one was an Elk).. I one model was gas and a little bigger than the Beaver/S370.
Mazda made a good engine and should be reliable. If it ran good I would not be afraid of it.
I looked at one at McKimms Implement in Oskaloosa,Ia about 2 yrs ago.. And he waited $2400 for it.
I passed on cause the wire loom looked like a cobbled up birds nest.

You got it.  Satoh Elk. Very nice shape and supposedly it runs like a top.  No attachments or anything but it wouldn't be hard to put a 4 foot brush hog behind it.  I have a Beaver now and you either have to have the PTO reverser box or a special mower.  What I want is a Beaver 3 as it is diesel and has a regular PTO.  They didn't make many Elks I guess and some parts are hard to find.  I sure do like the size though.

• larryd said thank you

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 09:41 PM

To refresh my memory I looked it up on Tractor data. 17.5 hp and weighs a bit over 1400 lbs. That is just a little smaller than my Ford 1500 at 20 hp and 2000 lbs. I am pulling a 5 ft brush cutter with the Ford. The Elk could possibly pull 5 ft if the grass was not excessively high. It should surely play with a 4 ft mower. I find that size is perfect for my 8.9 acres. The only thing I could think of I might need more power for would be if I were baling hay.

• larryd said thank you

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 09:47 PM

I onlyhave a little over 4 acres and a good portion of that is wooded.  A 4 foot would be perfect for mowing pathways and around some rougher places that I don't like to take my regular mower.  I also would like to mow down the garden every fall and maybe along the road if the township is slow at getting around tot he mowing.  I just wish I knew if Satoh ever made a snow blade specifically for the Elk.

• larryd said thank you

#7 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 10:12 PM

My in-law had one of those traded in by the Forest Dept. They had used it for marking trees and was every color in the rainbow. It had been well used and still ran very nicely. If it hadn't been so darned ugly I might have brought it home but I didn't want to be seen with it behind the truck.  :smilewink:

• JDBrian, David Brown and larryd have said thanks

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 08:03 AM

I onlyhave a little over 4 acres and a good portion of that is wooded.  A 4 foot would be perfect for mowing pathways and around some rougher places that I don't like to take my regular mower.  I also would like to mow down the garden every fall and maybe along the road if the township is slow at getting around tot he mowing.  I just wish I knew if Satoh ever made a snow blade specifically for the Elk.

I don't know if Satoh made a snow blade for that machine. I used the rear blade to clear my 1/4 mile lane last year. With Chains I did not have any problem at all.

I have often thought it would be easy to convert a small pickup blade to fit the tractor. They can sometimes be picked up pretty cheap in the off season. It should be a reasonably easy job to adapt either a Hydralic or Electric/ Hydralic unit to fit the tractor and give you both lift and angle control from the seat.

I would bet there are already holes in the frame and tapped holes in the castings for loader mounts, you could use.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 25, 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 08:26 AM

Yeah, that's what I'm finding out.  Wonder why these didn't sell?  They are a nice sized machine.  I guess maybe it was the small diesel tractors coming out that put the nail in the Elk coffin.  Of course, they could have fit a small diesel in that tractor but all of the Satoh models were so close in HP that I guess they decided to drop it from the line.  I have a 5 foot rear blade that I could use on it but I like being able to turn my head when I'm done.  Does the Elk have rear 24" tires?

• larryd said thank you

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 09:11 AM

That is a good question. Of course I have ideas? For one thing, I have only seen 3 Satoh Tractors over the course of 20 yrs in this area.

And there was 1 Mitsubishi S370(Same as your beaver?I never checked to see if it was new enough to have the PTO reverser) on Craig List last September when I was looking for a tractor.

The PTO question is an issue for anyone wanting to run PTO implements. The Kubota B6000 is the only Kubota I know of with the same issue.

I don't think there was a good dealer network, like there was for the Kubota & Yanmars.etc. And the Satoh name is not nearly as well recognized.

At the time these came out, those not really up on power equipment  were remembering all the nightmares of fuel Jelling, winter starting etc. In 1967, I knew a guy who hauled Maytag washing machines to South Dakota and North Dakota every week. He deliberately bought a Gas IH Truck due to the extreme temps and fuel problems.. Back in the 70's I would have preferred a Gas machine. due to fuel availability.

People get ideas in their head and can't adjust. These Two wheel drive Tractors sell reasonably,becaus right now everyone has the idea that buying a Scut/Compact would be foolish if it is not 4WD. :thumbs:   I'm sure it would be nice, but in my 63 yrs I have never had 4Wd and get along very well. On my hill there are times 4WD would be nice, but do I really need to be going where I need 4WD or can it wait till conditions are better?

As for the tire size I could not find it in Tractor Data. I know they are bigger than 16"-18" for sure. But I have seen a few of the Japanese Tractors with 22" tires So can not say for sure. 24" is a standard size and easier to get. My Ford had one tire about a year old and the other could have been original and badly weather cracked. I paid $300 to get a new 9.5 X24 and have it mounted on my tractor.  Though I could have save $70 if I Had not paid the Service Call to do it in my drveway

This I will say if your ground is rough as is mine, The bigger Tires and longer wheelbase will beat you up a lot less than a smaller machine.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 25, 2013 - 09:16 AM.

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 09:22 AM

Oh you know what?  I was thinking you owned an Elk which is why I asked the tire size.  DUH, you never said you owned one.  You have that nice Ford (envy).  I dunno, I have some soul searching to do yet.  I will be giving up a reliable tractor to get this so I want to be sure I make the right move.  Thanks for the input.  Whatever I get I will be sure to post some pics.

• larryd said thank you

#12 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 10:20 AM

If the engine was serviced and taken care of it should a lot of life in it yet

larryd
  • David Brown said thank you

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 10:24 AM

Jeff: I know you like your Beaver and would not discourage you from buying another. But buying a used tractor is very dependant on what is available in your area. I knew I wanted a Compact/Scut and spent 2 yrs researching machines before I bought(Reason I recognized the machine you were looking at based on engine).  I have this odd trait where it is easy to memorize specs, on  things I'm interested in?

I did not have a Brand specific want.  But was in the process of making arrangement to look at two Kubota's and had looked at a Yanmar the night before The Ford came up on Craig List. I was about to go look at that Mitsubish S370 if I had not found the Ford.

I reccomend you buy the best machine  available in your area and not be too concerned with the Brand. They all have their strengths and weaknesses but I think they are all good if they have been maintained well.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 25, 2013 - 10:26 AM.

• David Brown said thank you

#14 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 06:21 AM

For those who are not familiar with what I am looking at, here is a picture of an Elk.  This is not the one I'm looking at but it's in about the same shape as you see here.  Very nicely kept tractor.

Elk.jpg