Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 01, 2010 - 09:09 PM

Update
Haven't done too much lately, been looking at the chassis and I think I'm going to add some extra grease fittings,
1 for the clutch pedal
1 for the main lift arm
2 for the Varidrive handle
2 for the front wheel spindles (1 for each side)
1 for the front axle center pivot point
All these spots look like they could use a bit of lube once in a while.

Edited by DH1, March 03, 2010 - 07:27 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#32 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted March 05, 2010 - 10:25 AM

Update
Haven't done too much lately, been looking at the chassis and I think I'm going to add some extra grease fittings,
1 for the clutch pedal
1 for the main lift arm

I added a bunch of those when I did my 12 restore. I can't figure out why the factory did not include them... I guess it's a cost thing?

#33 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 09:30 PM

My Transaxle
When I got this tractor was told trany locks up and was full of water, when I picked it up in Jan. the wheels didn't turn, we assumed it was frozen. Got it home drained trany in heated garage, not much water came out, must of been locked up.
Pulled trany apart tonight found rusty oily mess inside, 1 shifter fork detent not working, broken spring. Found a suitable replacement cut to length and fixed that problem. Also found the shifter stop broken, in 2 pieces and bent. I think it can be welded back together but I'm not sure exactly what it's suppose to look like. Tomorrow I will pull apart my spare transaxle and see if it has a good shifter stop in it, this trany is said to pop out of 2nd gear, I'm thinking maybe detent not working on 1 of the shifter forks same as my 66 trany. If I'm lucky I can fix both transaxles.
Found really good Peerless trany service manual on another web site lots of pic.

Edited by DH1, March 08, 2010 - 09:39 PM.

#34 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 09:37 PM

I have problems with the tranny on my 12 popping out of second which I have been able to live with because any mowing I do is in 3rd but I have the spare tranny from the parts 10 I bought and the shifter feels more solid on that one so I think I am going to swap the trannies when it comes time to restore the 12.

You can post a link to the source of the peerless manual if you want.

#35 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 05:43 AM

Update
1 for the clutch pedal
1 for the main lift arm

That's a good idea,adding zerks.:rocker2:

#36 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 10:16 AM

I have problems with the tranny on my 12 popping out of second which I have been able to live with because any mowing I do is in 3rd but I have the spare tranny from the parts 10 I bought and the shifter feels more solid on that one so I think I am going to swap the trannies when it comes time to restore the 12.

You can post a link to the source of the peerless manual if you want.

Hi guys, I'm new to the group and not the greatest with computers so hope I'm doing this right. I am also a member of tecumseh_engine_group@yahoogroups.com There are peerless tranny manuals in the files and also tecumseh engine manuals. The transaxle for the mf10/12 is the same as the transaxle for the john deere 210,212,214,and 216 only the drive pulley and shift lever are different and can be swapped. I bought detent balls&springs from my local john deere dealer,I told them they were for a JD212. They had them in stock and said they can get other parts for it also.

Edited by broken2, March 09, 2010 - 01:17 PM.

#37 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 11:52 AM

For some reason the system flagged your posts and they didn't show up right away, it does that once in a while but all should be good now. I will have to check with my local jd dealer and see if they have the parts, I wouldn't mind rebuilding mine so it at least stays in gear and feels more solid when moving the shift lever around.

We have a manuals database here as well but we don't have the peerless manual yet. We are slowly going to collect them and try and have the biggest database of manuals and tractor registry on the net.

#38 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 01:44 PM

For some reason the system flagged your posts and they didn't show up right away, it does that once in a while but all should be good now. I will have to check with my local jd dealer and see if they have the parts, I wouldn't mind rebuilding mine so it at least stays in gear and feels more solid when moving the shift lever around.

We have a manuals database here as well but we don't have the peerless manual yet. We are slowly going to collect them and try and have the biggest database of manuals and tractor registry on the net.

I have Tecumseh transmission and drive manuals on pdf. I'm trying to upload them now. It says its loading, I hope it works. The file is huge and also includes cast iron tecumseh engine manuals. I tried to separate them but couldn't figure out how. If I tried much longer I would have found out what happens to a keyboard when you feed it to a mf620 snowblower.

#39 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 01:48 PM

It will take a while, especially if they are big files. It supports up to 60mb files I believe. If they won't upload maybe there is a way I can download them from somewhere and ftp them to the site.

#40 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 04:44 PM

Hi guys, I'm new to the group and not the greatest with computers so hope I'm doing this right. I am also a member of tecumseh_engine_group@yahoogroups.com There are peerless tranny manuals in the files and also tecumseh engine manuals. The transaxle for the mf10/12 is the same as the transaxle for the john deere 210,212,214,and 216 only the drive pulley and shift lever are different and can be swapped. I bought detent balls&springs from my local john deere dealer,I told them they were for a JD212. They had them in stock and said they can get other parts for it also.

This is the Peerless transaxle manual I was speaking of and I used it when I was working on my 66MF10 trany. I didn't download or post a link to it because I don't know how, was hoping someone else would and now it's done. Thanks

#41 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 10, 2010 - 07:21 PM

Engine gaskets and shim arrived today, no more crankshaft end play, fixed the fuel leak in the carb (drain valve), file the points, rewire, set the timing and it's ready to run.

#42 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 05:32 AM

Sounds like you are on a roll Doug, can't wait to see more pics.

#43 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 09:19 PM

Pulled apart my spare trany, much better inside than my 66 is. The shifter stop is like new but the shaft that 1 of the shifter forks runs on is worn.

1st pic This is the inside of my 66 trany.
2nd+3rd This is the shifter stop, broken one is from the 66
4th This is one of the shifter fork assembly's, -R N 2 1- the top one is from the spare trany, the bottom from my 66. See the difference in the grooves.

What I ended up using is the spare trany (the cleanest one) with the good shifter stop, the 66's shifter fork assembly, the best part's of the 2 put in one.
It's not so easy to get the trany back together, lots of parts to line up so that the case closes.

Attached Thumbnails

• 66 MF10 078..jpg
  • 66 MF10 075..jpg
  • 66 MF10 076..jpg
  • 66 MF10 077..jpg

#44 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 31, 2010 - 08:22 PM

Started working on the 66 again, got side tracked for awhile, painted the trany, cleaned up the garage a bit to get ready for reassembly.

#45 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 - 09:34 PM

Picked up a set of new to me rear tires on rims and wheel weight's today size 6-12, $120.
Longest drive for parts, 880 km (550 miles) round trip $72. in gas.

Attached Thumbnails

• masseys 074..jpg
  • masseys 077..jpg
  • masseys 076..jpg
  • masseys 078..jpg