• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 07:18 PM

I bought a 446 Case this spring and it's in fairly decent shape. The problem is that the oil was absolutely filthy when I brought it home.  I mow about an acre of grass and change the oil, It's getting better but the drain plug will be worn out soon from taking it out so often.

Any ideas on how to flush the crankcase and get the oil cleaned up a little quicker. It's a 16 hp onan but Ingersoll didn't put oil filters on this model.

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Old school mechanics always used diesel fuel.  I talked to a guy who would do that, run the engine at idle and no load for 10 minutes, and then drain the whole shooting match out.  He did it in front of me on a tractor. 

I doubt if I would do that, though. 

If I have to do something similar, I split the engine and wipe it out by hand.  It is a pain.

Ben W.

• Arti said thank you

#3 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 08:00 PM

Maybe a little ATF or Marvels Mystery oil? 

• Arti said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Diesel or kerosene. Do it all the time with the nasty ones.

<2 minutes just over idle RPM's and no load.

Seafoam has directions on how to add some and clean the engine pre service or pre oil change.

Either that or next oil change, do a 25% ATF and then run it around the garage a couple laps and do an oil change again.

As always, your results may vary, use at your own risk
  • HDWildBill, twostep and Arti have said thanks

#5 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 09:53 AM

I would run the thing till hot, drain, refill with diesel or ATF and then run it for a minute or so and then drain again.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and Arti have said thanks

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 10:14 AM

I warm engine & drain as usual, but allowing to drain at least an hour.  Then I use the blaster pictured below.  It will siphon diesel from a bucket or jug, mixing with air & fogging the inside till it rinses everything clean.  You can put the gun tip in the oil fill tube, and seal with a rag around it.  Can be messy, but it sure gets them clean inside.  If you can put a hose on the oil drain, then put that hose into a large pail with shop rags or even just a slice of hay or similar top help catch the diesel vapors it reduces the mess.  I've had this same gun for years & love it for cleaning insides of engines.  Has adjustment for limiting the flow of the fluid.  Just add air & fluid of choice.

Here's a link to it at Harbor Freight.

blaster.jpg

• MH81, HDWildBill, twostep and 2 others have said thanks

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 10:31 AM

When I was a worker bee in the Navy and had to clean the engine(s) we used a tool like that and PD 680.  I haven't thought about that in a long, long time.  Thanks Daniel! :thumbs:

I can also see a few other uses for it as well.

• Arti said thank you

#8 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 12:19 PM

I've run ATF to clean an engine out--works pretty well.  As others have said, don't put a load on it.  If your oil is getting dirty real fast, it could be that you have worn rings/cylinders and it's getting dirty from the excessive blowby.  You might try using a heavier oil--like 40 weight and see if that helps a little.

Smitty

• Arti said thank you

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 12:41 PM

When a block is so dirty inside that I feel it needs flushing, I don't want to run it at all with anything that will dislodge all the old solids that build up in corners, which can & will include tiny bits of metals, etc.  These particles can wreck an engine, especially with splash lubrication where there is no oil filter to protect things.  Splash lube systems can send the particles into journal oil feed holes & the like.  Just my thoughts....not trying to knock anyone else's way of doing it.

• HDWildBill and twostep have said thanks

#10 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 09:19 PM

I appreciate everyone's ideas.. In this case it looks like oldcowhand has the best solution. This is a case of neglect from the po.

The motor oddly enough doesn't use oil or have any knocking noises in it. Obviously it has been neglected as far as oil changes. I had thought about the gunk sitting in the bottom of the crankcase coming loose and plugging up the oil journals so flushing it out without it running seems like a good solution.