8 replies to this topic

#1 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 862 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 06:35 PM

Here is a YouTube video clip of my B1-6 with front mounted sickle bar mower cutting a small field of alfalfa.  Attached are some photos of the sickle bar as configured in the clip.

100_5877 (Large).jpg  100_5883 (Large).jpg

• Bolens 1000, grand, olcowhand and 9 others have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 07:08 PM

Very nice!  What kind of engine is that?

Ben W.

• earthgrinder said thank you

#3 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Looks like it does a very nice job. Looks awesome! Thanks for the video and pictures. :thumbs:

#4 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 862 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 09:14 PM

The engine is a two-stroke based on the SIMAR rototiller design and is rated at 5 hp.  It was made by Bell Aircraft for Frazer based on the SIMAR design.

The B1-6 with the sickle bar is a lot to handle.  It is very front heavy and this one does not have reverse which makes it a beast to turn around at the ends.  Originally it was designed to have the cutter bar centered.  In this position, if the grass has any kind of height to it, the grass bunches up in front of the starter housing.  They made another one, I assume later, that has a 8" spacer between the mount and cutter bar giving the grass more space to pass by the mower frame.  I don't know if the previous owner made this mod or if it was a factory fix.  It works OK as long as you don't take a full cut.  The other thing that could be better is the engine speed compared to the cutter speed.  You cannot go much above an idle or it shakes like crazy.  probably would shake itself apart.

• Alc said thank you

#5 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 12:16 AM

Shaking is the number one problem with this type of unit. Most of the ones I have just about kill your arms after a while. About the only good running one is the Simplicity units.  You might want to make a shield to mount up front to guide the material off. I believe I had a bolens here that used an aluminum bar in the center. The DB mower used a mowing steel rod in front, and had a kit of rod, they called the high weed rod, to make the stuff go off to the side. I can see with my Pond that the center cutting would bunch up, but they did at least put a cover over the pulley to deflex some of it.

nice to see this machine working, looks like it does a good job of cutting evenly.

#6 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 07:26 AM

Some Bolens sicklebar attachments had a counterweight added to the drive mechanism to reduce some of the shaking.

Most sicklebars that I have seen do not have any anything to counter-balance the reciprocating mass.

Obviously, a longer bar, with increased mass, will shake more than a shorter bar with less mass. 

#7 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 862 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 08:36 AM

Well, it is fun playing with this old iron, I am just glad I don't have to use it on a regular basis.  I always like to try all the attachments for the different model ROTOTILLER pieces that I have.  Next on the list is the Buck Saw for the one-wheeled Roto-ette Home Gardener.  I got a NOS unit that is still wired together as it came from the factory.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#8 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for posting your video.It was great to see you at the Menges Mills Show.

#9 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 862 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 08:53 AM

Thank you and your son for having a forum like this to post the stuff we like to play with.  It was good to see you and yours son as well.  That is a nice show for the two and four wheeled garden tractors.