• OkieGt and OldAllis52 have said thanks

#17 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 09:43 PM

That might be too far from Tennessee, lol.  I've been all over Oklahoma delivering Branson tractors  where is Oologah?

Were 24 miles north of Tulsa, Oklahoma, 41 miles south of Coffeyville Kansas, and about 125 miles north west of Ft Smith Arkansas

• OldAllis52 said thank you

#18 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 09:51 PM

My dad retired from AC while the 300 series was in production. Apparently the cost of transportation of parts, castings and materials from the Wisconsin to rural SC was probibitedly expensive. Additionally, due to the long established freight bias, destination charges from SC to just about any place in the US was more than freight moving out of the great lakes area. There was a real stink raised by the AC dealers in my dads region because, all of a sudden the freight charges were much higher on the 300 series even though the factory was several hundred miles closer to the destination. We owned an early 312D and the builders label was marked Lexington, SC. I have in recent years discovered that subsequent 300 models produced in Lexington we're simply marked Milwaukee, WS. This is just a theory but I think AC decided to not draw attention to the fact that the tractors were being produced in Lexington due to the firestorm that fact fueled. Now it could simply be that AC knew the political atmosphere and anticipated the shift of production back to Port Washington and chose to print all new tags with the Milwaukee address. It would be nice to talk with someone who was in the loop when decisions were being made about the Lexington plant but I am sure they are long gone.

I havent a clue what the production numbers were but there are apparently quite a few 300/400 series tractors in the northeast and Midwest.

The 300 series was produced from 1971-1973 and was offered in Standard and Deluxe model. I'm sure they produced a good amount of them, possibly around 10,000 for all models, The 400 was only made one year, or so and from the serial numbers I have come across, I'm not seeing anything like the 300 series numbers. Almost any tractor that came out with a 16 hp was expensive and was probably cared for better than a 10hp tractor and while there may have been far fewer 16hp tractors than 10hp tractors I think 16hp machines survived more often. It would be nice to knw more

• OldAllis52 said thank you

#19 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • Member No: 41205
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 02:54 PM

I spent this afternoon dressing up the notch a PO cut in the frame. Got it nice and square then cut a plate using the other frame rail for a pattern. I welded it in then ground it smooth,now I need to bolt the lift bracket to it so I can drill the missing bracket mount hole. After that some self etching primer and a little metal filler I have at work and she should be ready for paint. :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• 004.jpg
  • 005.jpg
  • 006.jpg

#20 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 03:26 PM

It looked so crooked in the pic I had to go downstairs and recheck it. Must have been the camera angle,lol

#21 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 04:33 PM

Funny how the camera will distort things. When I was remodeling my kitchen and taking pictures nothing looked square. Found myself double checking my levels again and again after looking at photos.
  • OkieGt said thank you

#22 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 04:51 PM

Funny how the camera will distort things. When I was remodeling my kitchen and taking pictures nothing looked square. Found myself double checking my levels again and again after looking at photos.

I do the same thing, but with my eyesight everything is crooked. I waste a lot of metal

#23 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 07:12 PM

When I got my first bifocals the technician talked me into progressive lenses. After trying that for a week I went back and had them changed to line bifocals. The progressives made every line look crooked. I rely on my eyesight in my work (carpenter) and there was no way for me to eyeball anything and get it right.
  • OkieGt said thank you

#24 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 07:41 PM

When I got my first bifocals the technician talked me into progressive lenses. After trying that for a week I went back and had them changed to line bifocals. The progressives made every line look crooked. I rely on my eyesight in my work (carpenter) and there was no way for me to eyeball anything and get it right.

Thanks Phil, my eyesight is different day to day, the last three days, I only can see a small area out of the left eye and it's cloudy in the right eye. It will get better in a day or two, it has before. I used to finish cabinets with stains, and laquers, cab-acrylics other fine finishes using airless, air assist, and HVLP, I can still spray, but I cant see what I'm doing, I rely on feel of the gun and experience. My days of seeing or trusting anyone in the medical profession are over, I find them totally useless. It's my responsibility to take care of myself and watch what I eat drink and that I get the proper sleep and exercise. Everything after that is in God's hands, not some quack that slept through medical school, and doesn't care about anything but the money

#25 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 09:13 PM

I have a wife and daughter who are nurses and a daughter and SIL who are doctors. There are good and bad in every profession. Having the talent to heal like any other talent such as cabinet making, welding, painting, singing is a gift from God. How you develope and use that talent is a matter of stewartship. Too many in this world misuse their talents. Sorry you have had bad experiences.

Edited by skunkhome, August 04, 2013 - 09:16 PM.

• OkieGt said thank you

#26 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,060 Thanks
  • 2,175 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 02:57 PM

Nice machine, and definitely a worthwhile project. 

The thread has shed more light ont he 400's for me.  I'm a big fan of their appearance, but my stash of implements tends to cause me to shy away from them when they pop up.  If I were to bring one home, a 416H would the the one.

#27 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 04:54 PM

I have a wife and daughter who are nurses and a daughter and SIL who are doctors. There are good and bad in every profession. Having the talent to heal like any other talent such as cabinet making, welding, painting, singing is a gift from God. How you develope and use that talent is a matter of stewartship. Too many in this world misuse their talents. Sorry you have had bad experiences.

You said it better than I did, thanks for your input. sometimes I let people get the better of me, but I'm doing much better. My biggest problem when talking to doctors or health care professionals is that when I have a issue after a treatment or surgery they reply "It's not our fault", and that makes me mad. I 'm not saying its any ones fault, I'm saying I still have a problem or a different problem. If you go to many VAs another appointment may take weeks, months, or years. The quickest eye surgery from time of diagnosis until surgery was over one year, it's been over 2 years prior to that. One year of not being able to see well with or with out eyeglasses. Right now I type with one hand and hold the magnifying glass with the other, for some reason enlarging text doesn't help, because both eyes are different or I dont know why. This has been going on now for close to five years and I have been a super jerk, a butt hole and a miserable person to family and many nice folks. I cant take out my frustrations on the people I know and care about, it isn't right., but Its tough dealing with going from bread winner to borrowing money and picking up scrap metal to pay utilities. We dont draw a check or assistance and I dont want it either. I dont even know if I will accept SS after I retire, I want nothing from them but to be left alone. Thanks again Phil

• achomesteader said thank you

#28 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 09:30 PM

I think the way we treat our veterans is disgraceful. Actually when I was on active duty I would pay out of my own pocket to get my own doctor. I could spend hours expounding on the mistreatment of our servicemen and vets both in the field and the clinic but we shouldn't go there. Sorry for straying off topic.
  • OkieGt said thank you

#29 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 09:40 PM

I think the way we treat our veterans is disgraceful. Actually when I was on active duty I would pay out of my own pocket to get my own doctor. I could spend hours expounding on the mistreatment of our servicemen and vets both in the field and the clinic but we shouldn't go there. Sorry for straying off topic.

uh, I think I strayed as well, lol Thanks for your service and glad you understand

#30 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 05:57 PM

Well it's been a few months since work/life let me work on the 416. I ordered the front axle pivot bushings thanks to the link Oldcowhand sent me and got those installed. The spindle bushings are in good shape  but the thrust washers are needing replaced so I'm buying those tomorrow. The wheel bearings were shot so I'm ordering those and the races this week as well.

We got the electric lift stripped down and ready for sandblasting so weather permitting the sandblaster should get a workout this week. I'm hoping to get it all blasted,primed, and painted before the kids spring break so we can get a lot of assembly done that week.

I could not read the serial number because a PO painted over the data plate but after peeling it off I can read it from the back side and order a new data plate with the decal kit. The serial number is 2604266 so I'm trying to find out how early in the production year it was built but that might be hard due to lack of records on these tractors.

• OkieGt said thank you