• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • Member No: 41205
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 08:05 AM

We bought this 416 off Ebay four years ago for $150. It ran and mowed but was rattle can painted in the wrong color scheme. The second pic was taken last week as we prepared to start sandblasting the parts. The engine is finished and waiting on the bench.

DSCN0544.jpg

001_zps666abfc7.jpg

• JD DANNELS, boyscout862, Jack and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 08:09 AM

Cool, we love the pics so keep us posted.    :thumbs:

• boyscout862, larryd, OldAllis52 and 1 other said thanks

#3 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 11:34 AM

Looking  good , more pics

larryd

• OldAllis52 said thank you

#4 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 04:13 PM

Check the axle pin and spidle washers. I found a place that sells the thrust bearing kit for the front spindles for under 7.00, it will make steer like power steering. I ve the 416 hydro and the 416 shuttle. click it and stick it has the complete decal kit,

• OldAllis52 and Dougiefish have said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 04:53 PM

That Allis will smile broader once you get that paint fixed. 

Ben W.

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 04:55 PM

I think you got a pretty good deal on that! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

#7 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 05:17 PM

We bought this 416 off Ebay four years ago for $150. It ran and mowed but was rattle can painted in the wrong color scheme. The second pic was taken last week as we prepared to start sandblasting the parts. The engine is finished and waiting on the bench.

DSCN0544.jpg

001_zps666abfc7.jpg

From what I understand from the company only about 1500 of these were built as 1973 and a few more were assembled and sold in 1974 while the plant was being dimantled 

#8 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 04:47 PM

From what I understand from the company only about 1500 of these were built as 1973 and a few more were assembled and sold in 1974 while the plant was being dimantled

And from my understanding every one was sold at a loss.

Edited by skunkhome, July 26, 2013 - 04:48 PM.

• OkieGt and OldAllis52 have said thanks

#9 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 06:02 PM

And from my understanding every one was sold at a loss.

Is that true??? The 400 series was brand new when the monopoly lawsuit against Allis was overturned in 1973. They had invested a ton of money in the plant they had not recovered as welll as in 300 series that had not sold that many units and then added new features on the 400 series,. Electric lifts, headlights, ciartte lighters and hour meters were all dealer installed only. You wont find many collectors or find many in collections, they were very low production

#10 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 07:19 PM

I picked up an electric lift and sleeve hitch back in the spring. Sometime in it's life a PO notched the frame right where the lift bolts to the frame. I have been working this evening cleaning that up and cutting a plate to weld in to repair it.

We mowed with it for one summer but it wanted to overheat. There was so much blow by the dip stick would raise half way out of the block.  When I took the engine down the flywheel was level full with debris from an oil seal leak. When I took the tins off half the fins were clogged from oil and dirt. The bore was clean with no ridge at the top so I honed it good, put in a new rod and piston kit then put her back together. I couldn't find a bushing for the steering pivot but found a near new one on a 200 hour machine that had been in a junkyard for 30 years. I'm hoping next week to get new bushings installed for the axle pin and to finish the frame repair. Maybe then I can haul everything to work and let my son start the sandblasting.

Between this project and two Kohler M18's to build it looks like a busy winter!

• OkieGt said thank you

#11 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 07:22 PM

Is that true??? The 400 series was brand new when the monopoly lawsuit against Allis was overturned in 1973. They had invested a ton of money in the plant they had not recovered as welll as in 300 series that had not sold that many units and then added new features on the 400 series,. Electric lifts, headlights, ciartte lighters and hour meters were all dealer installed only. You wont find many collectors or find many in collections, they were very low production

I like the lines on both series but it takes a while to find parts. I have a nice 300 series grill shell so I might have to look for one of those for a future project,lol.

• OkieGt said thank you

#12 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 07:26 PM

I picked up an electric lift and sleeve hitch back in the spring. Sometime in it's life a PO notched the frame right where the lift bolts to the frame. I have been working this evening cleaning that up and cutting a plate to weld in to repair it.

We mowed with it for one summer but it wanted to overheat. There was so much blow by the dip stick would raise half way out of the block.  When I took the engine down the flywheel was level full with debris from an oil seal leak. When I took the tins off half the fins were clogged from oil and dirt. The bore was clean with no ridge at the top so I honed it good, put in a new rod and piston kit then put her back together. I couldn't find a bushing for the steering pivot but found a near new one on a 200 hour machine that had been in a junkyard for 30 years. I'm hoping next week to get new bushings installed for the axle pin and to finish the frame repair. Maybe then I can haul everything to work and let my son start the sandblasting.

Between this project and two Kohler M18's to build it looks like a busy winter!

I'm doing my axle pin as well, I ordered two new bushings from Jacks Small Engine and found thrust washers for the spindles, going with all new tire rod ends as well

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 07:28 PM

I like the lines on both series but it takes a while to find parts. I have a nice 300 series grill shell so I might have to look for one of those for a future project,lol.

I have a fairly complete 312 minus engine in parts you can have if you want to come get it. I believe its a shuttel shift

• Baliblaster said thank you

#14 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 09:19 PM

My dad retired from AC while the 300 series was in production. Apparently the cost of transportation of parts, castings and materials from the Wisconsin to rural SC was probibitedly expensive. Additionally, due to the long established freight bias, destination charges from SC to just about any place in the US was more than freight moving out of the great lakes area. There was a real stink raised by the AC dealers in my dads region because, all of a sudden the freight charges were much higher on the 300 series even though the factory was several hundred miles closer to the destination. We owned an early 312D and the builders label was marked Lexington, SC. I have in recent years discovered that subsequent 300 models produced in Lexington we're simply marked Milwaukee, WS. This is just a theory but I think AC decided to not draw attention to the fact that the tractors were being produced in Lexington due to the firestorm that fact fueled. Now it could simply be that AC knew the political atmosphere and anticipated the shift of production back to Port Washington and chose to print all new tags with the Milwaukee address. It would be nice to talk with someone who was in the loop when decisions were being made about the Lexington plant but I am sure they are long gone.

I havent a clue what the production numbers were but there are apparently quite a few 300/400 series tractors in the northeast and Midwest.

Edited by skunkhome, July 26, 2013 - 09:31 PM.

• OkieGt and OldAllis52 have said thanks

#15 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 09:21 PM

That might be too far from Tennessee, lol.  I've been all over Oklahoma delivering Branson tractors  where is Oologah?

• OkieGt said thank you