#1 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 07:51 AM

Looks like I might be back in the Cub gang... I found a single owner 3185 model Cub that the seller says has blow-by and leaks oil... I emailed the seller and he called with in 20 minutes and we discussed a couple of my questions. He said that If I'd give him the asking price that he would take the listing down. I told him I won't be able to come get it till Friday though so we'll see.

He said that he wouldnt' mow with it but it runs good enough to test out all functions. Has a 4-way hydraulic system with a 4-way front blade. New battery, deck belts are 3 years old. Depending on the engine issue I might keep it and teach the wife to mow or flip it... or part it out and keep the hydro steering parts for my FEL tractor. All depends on the condition of things. At $400 I don't think I can go wrong though.

00202_jVV62fQdFQx_600x450.jpg

00o0o_5qhQyZvg4Jh_600x450.jpg

00404_kT2cN4tD7Lj_600x450.jpg

00M0M_5x5svXZoBzA_600x450.jpg

• Dieselcubmike, larryd and JRJ have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 08:18 AM

That blade is worth the asking....you better sew this deal up tight asap!

• twostep, WNYTractorTinkerer and larryd have said thanks

#3 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 08:36 AM

That was my thought... I just talked to him again and got his full name and address so it sounds like the deal is done.

• larryd and JRJ have said thanks

#4 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 11:52 AM

Sounds like a good deal to me . better hurry

larryd

• JRJ said thank you

#5 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 12:11 PM

Just from the pictures it is well worth the $$$.

Dick

#6 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 01:55 PM

Sell said that his son had recently chainged the oil and after that it started oil leak/blow-by thing... I am hoping it is an easy fix.   :smilewink:   If not, I should be able to pull the steering system off and still part it out for a profit.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 01:57 PM

Bet it's just over filled with oil then!  No matter, as it's a great deal either way, fixable or not.

#8 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 10:54 PM

Talked to him this evening and we are on for 5pm tomorrow so it looks like no body has stolen it out from under me!!

Off to bed and dreams of playing with a 4-way blade for me now.

• olcowhand said thank you

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 08:48 AM

Sounds so far like you found an honest seller.  Sure hope all goes through fine.  

#10 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 09:01 AM

me too since it's a two hour round trip drive! Nothing so far has made me suspicious (other than the price) of the deal though. From talking to him he seems the type to buy a nice piece of equipment, dealer service it and when it gives him a reason, go and buy a new one!

#11 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 09:05 AM

Buy this?  Yes and ASAP!

#12 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 10:09 PM

Pretty much went exactly as I expected... I'm still a little giddy though  :bounce: .

I showed up and beat him to his house, he comes home from work and is wearing khaki shorts and a polo shirt... he said, well there it is. I said well start it up, and show me it'll lift the deck and engage the mower. It was a little hard to start and he had to let it warm up quite a bit before he could throttle it up. It smoked like a freight train and was even dripping oil out of the exhaust pipe (these things are REALLY quiet btw) but everything functioned so I said let's load it up. The guy gave me all of the manuals for the implements and a full parts manual but no OM for the tractor. He said he has a bigger Kubota and that he just didn't want put any money in this thing... That is  :ok:  with me!

Anyway, I got it home and drained the oil, put about 1.5 quarts of new oil in, checked all of the oils and pulled the plugs. They were wet and black so I hit them with a wire brush. I turned the engine over for a few seconds to clear any residual oil out. Put the plugs back in and fired it up. It was still smoking but running much better. I let it run at about 1/3 throttle for a couple of minutes and then rechecked the oil level. All was fun and there wasn't a mosquito for a 100 yards. I run it down the road at full speed and full throttle and with in 1/10 of a mile the exhaust cleared up.  :dancingbanana:  ... for the most part. It actually still smokes just a touch at idle.

When I got back I run it up a bank in the front and noticed a slight stumble and then a second or two later a puff of smoke come out. So then I stopped on flat ground and jammed it full forward and it did the same thing. Anyone know recognize that symptom?

So here she is, this thing is big and comfortable. It was dark by the time I finished and remembered to take a picture. I'll have better pic's tomorrow, I'm also going to try some mowing, and cycling the blade and I'll see if I can get video of the symptom I described.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0292.JPG

#13 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 10:13 PM

And I confirmed, new oil filter, plugs, air filter, battery, blades, fuel filter, full tank of gas... all four tires are in good shape too.

#14 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 11:03 PM

A 3185 for $400?  With a 4-way blade???  You sir are a thief!!

If it's a B&S Vangard 18hp I have a engine service manual somewhere I think..  Let me know..

Do a compression test to look for what is going on there..  The pistons are pricey for those things but a little love & TLC and you'll have a heckuva tractor!  Nice grab!! :thumbs:

• twostep said thank you

#15 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 11:36 PM

Yes, that is the engine. Can you upload or email it?