4 replies to this topic

#1 beks6745 OFFLINE  

beks6745
  • Member No: 41223
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 06:51 PM

Hi,
I have a 15HP Intek (Model# 284H07) on a Snapper RER. It recently developed a hard starting issue and will not even fire. I tried doing several valve adjustments, but it didn't help. As far as I know, it's getting fuel, has a fat, blue spark, and has decent compression. 

I heard that if the crankshaft key had been sheared the flywheel would be out of alignment, but that is fine. I even tried pouring a little bit of fuel into the cylinder to see if it would fire, but I had no luck. I removed the rocker cover and it seems like the valves are moving at the correct times. The fuel solenoid is working fine too. I checked all my fuses and safety switches, but nothing was wrong. Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

#2 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 07:23 PM

:welcometogttalk: , and :wewantpics:

• larryd said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 08:33 PM

Ben, good to have another Ben on here.  We get lonely occasionally. 

You probably know that an engine needs three things to even try to run: a good spark, good compression, and good gas mixed with the right amount of air.  You have one of those things off. 

Find a new spark plug, to begin with.  That will help narrow down that the ignition side of things is behaving, since we will assume for now that the electronic ignition coil is good.

I would start with compression.  When the spark snaps, where are the valves?  Is one open?  They should both be closed for it to even sputter.

What did it do before it started this trick?

Ben W.

• larryd said thank you

#4 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 08:47 PM

You probably know that an engine needs three things to even try to run: a good spark, good compression, and good gas mixed with the right amount of air.  You have one of those things off. 

Ben is correct: you are missing one or more of those three.  You say you have a big fat blue spark.  That leaves compression & fuel/air mixture.  The hard starting history leads me to think compression is the issue (barring a gummed up carb).  If it was a fuel/air problem, you would get some firing with the "fuel in cylinder" test, if you haven't flooded it.  I'd do a leak down test to see if your valves or rings are leaking.

P.S.  Welcome to the site.

• larryd said thank you

#5 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 12:20 PM

Squirt some oil in cyl , shoot some carb spray in carb and see what happens

larryd

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: repair