Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Gt Choice? Looking For Opinions From The Experts Here....

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Black River OFFLINE  

Black River
  • Member No: 30108
  • 8 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Wow, thanks for all the replies!  Info like the suggestions here are what i'm needing to know.  Right now we garden less than an acre, but someday we hope to buy a small farm to support a large vegetable/fruit growing operation.  I know I will need something larger then.  I have a couple of non-running Farmalls and a Massey available but they'd need some work and $$$.  Right now I think with my experience/budget something smaller would work just to get the feel of the thing.  You guys are right, there seems to be more of a rarity of GT's down south here than what I've seen on CL, mostly in the Midwest or northeast.  Not sure why that is.  Keep the replies coming, I like to hear about others' equipment.

#17 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 07:42 PM

I've read through this whole thread. There has been a lot of really good advice

put forward here.  I think, that after weighing in all the pros/cons, it's kinda hard

to answer your questions easily, but if you read everything real closely, and

make sure to read between the lines, it's pretty straight forward. There is no

answer to your question.

Your best bet, is to just start buying GTs. Get one or two for every job, that you

think you might ever want to do. Before long, you'll have enough GTs around, that

you'll start having to think up jobs for them. Trust me, it's an addiction, and you

might as well cave in right off the get-go, and get used to the fact, that you'll be

building a bigger shed to store them in, real soon.

Oh ya, Welcome to GTT :wave: (the crack house for GT owners) :smilewink:

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#18 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 08:05 PM

I am going to be different. No brand suggestion from me. Get a decent older gt thats iin your price range. Use it for a year or two and figure out what you like and dont like about it. Then upgrade to whatever you feel you need. Until you actually start using one you want know what you like and dont like. i started out with a sears suburban, didnt like the manual 3pth. Got lucky and upgraded to a snapper 1855 (massey 1855) with hydro and hydraulic lift. Sold the sears but modded the attachments to fit the snapper.

I dont think anybody gets the right GT for them the first time.

I agree, I started with a 1965 JD110, then upgraded to a Massey MF14 with a 3 point and 6 implements, even then I bought Cubs, Fords, Deeres, Wards, Cases, Ariens, everything I could find until I decided what i liked, its a process,

• boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#19 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,307 Thanks
  • 4,659 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 09:00 PM

I'm with Okie..  Lots of tractors in my history..  Just picked up what came along..  The rest is history!  That Bolens is nice but are parts readily available for that beast would be my only pause..

• boyscout862 and OkieGt have said thanks

#20 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 10:36 PM

If you can find one, I'd recommend my Speedex 1631 for what you are wanting to do. It could work a produce farm like you're thinking, it's easy to fix, it's tough, and it's VERY handy..... Mine has a plough, disks, cultivators, hillers, and a belly mower. (Sorry..... won't part with mine!!!) These Speedex's even had a 2-bottom plough, although I've never used one. If your plot had been turned before, it might pull it OK, but for my use, I'd stick with the single plough.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2555.JPG
  • DSCF3658 (Medium).JPG
  • DSCF3659 (Medium).JPG
  • DSCF3660 (Medium).JPG

Edited by nra1ifer, July 23, 2013 - 10:59 PM.

• Alc, JD DANNELS, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#21 Black River OFFLINE  

Black River
  • Member No: 30108
  • 8 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 11:36 PM

I like that Speedex very much!  What year and HP is it?

• WNYTractorTinkerer and JRJ have said thanks

#22 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 11:36 PM

I'll let you window shop form some of my collection

http://s1197.photobu...tml?sort=3&o=26

• nra1ifer and JD DANNELS have said thanks

#23 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 05:46 AM

Here's a blog site about a start-up mini farm which I enjoy reading , WAY BIGGER then my little garden but it's been helpfull  anyway . Might give you some idea of what they use on their's.

http://tinyfarmblog.com/

#24 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Wow! Nice collection and set up. Thanks for showing it. I really like the little boom you made. I was thinking of making one for my Bolens 1250. Someday. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, July 24, 2013 - 09:15 AM.

• OkieGt said thank you

#25 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 09:38 AM

I like that Speedex very much!  What year and HP is it?

It was made in 1981, and it has a single-cylinder 16HP Briggs IC engine on it.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#26 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 09:50 AM

If you can find one, I'd recommend my Speedex 1631 for what you are wanting to do. It could work a produce farm like you're thinking, it's easy to fix, it's tough, and it's VERY handy..... Mine has a plough, disks, cultivators, hillers, and a belly mower. (Sorry..... won't part with mine!!!) These Speedex's even had a 2-bottom plough, although I've never used one. If your plot had been turned before, it might pull it OK, but for my use, I'd stick with the single plough.

That is one nice machine!! I don't believe I have ever seen one in person.

• nra1ifer and OkieGt have said thanks

#27 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 09:56 AM

Some of the later Speedex and Speedex Hydros were GREAT, alot of the parts were generic to other GTs and farm tractors and the design let them be repaired by a guy that could use a welder. Finding a Speedex like this and this shape is like looking for a needle in haystack though, VERY nice machine.

• nra1ifer said thank you

#28 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 10:17 AM

That is a nice collection! In a large Garden having a dedicated machine with implement mounted for each process would save a ton of time!!  I find I sometimes spend more time changing implements than I do using them??  I might run the middlebuster for 5 or 10 minutes, then take it off and mount thandscape rake use it 10 minutes and change to the Rototiller and use it 10 minutes, Then put the midle buster back on to make raised beds 5-10 minutes, and it took  longer than that to change them?

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 24, 2013 - 10:21 AM.

• OkieGt said thank you

#29 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 03:35 PM

That is a nice collection! In a large Garden having a dedicated machine with implement mounted for each process would save a ton of time!!  I find I sometimes spend more time changing implements than I do using them??  I might run the middlebuster for 5 or 10 minutes, then take it off and mount thandscape rake use it 10 minutes and change to the Rototiller and use it 10 minutes, Then put the midle buster back on to make raised beds 5-10 minutes, and it took  longer than that to change them?

Along with these tractord I just restored a 1977 Bolens H16 with shaft drive tiller, snow, blower, and front blade, and a 1973 CASE 224 that in the restoration process, that I already restored the deck and front dozer blade, i think that makes 12, pplus I have at least  8 more implements in the barn

#30 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 05:21 PM

Sometime when I'm in Claremore visiting my folks, I need to stop and see you....!!!

• OkieGt said thank you