Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 07:36 PM

Any suggestions how to get the pipe plug out of the tranny case so I can check the fluid level.  The protruding tab is broken off flush.  I don't want to drill and easy out for fear of putting chips in tranny.  I've thought of drilling a shallow hole on the circumference and use a punch and try to drift it out...

Any suggestions appreciated.

#32 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 07:57 PM

Maybe a dremel with a small cutoff wheel to slice a slot in the plug.  Then, with a hand impact wrench & a slot bit, it oughta pop it loose.

#33 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 12:15 AM

Maybe a dremel with a small cutoff wheel to slice a slot in the plug.  Then, with a hand impact wrench & a slot bit, it oughta pop it loose.

Good suggestion, Dan...

I took a small punch and hammer to see if I could drift it out.  Turns out the plug is plastic--spun right out.... now I'll just glue or screw a knob on it so I can get to it.

I know how to do most of the mechanical things it needs, but the seat pan had a small diesel engine fall on it, and has a large gash and is badly bent on the left side--guess I need to find a good body and fender man...

Smitty

#34 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 11:36 PM

Well, I finally got it going... had to get it off my trailer so I could.... ahem..... go pick up another tractor--a Sears ST or SS10 with plow, discs, snow blade, mower, and a bad input shaft on the tranny with a Tec 10 repower...PLUS a brand new Sears Snowblower with mule drive for a GT 18---thinking of giving it to mom for Christmas.

I had some problems getting the Kohler 482 to run... wasn't getting fuel to the carb.... pulled the carb off to clean it  and ran into a major snag... which I'll discuss in a new thread as I need some major input on it...

anyway, put a carb from a K321 on it-couldn't hook up the linkage of course, and gravity fed the gas from a snowblower tank bolted to the dash support and she moved out smartly... hydraulics work, hydro works--gotta get used to the foot shuttle, and the engine runs well.

Here's some pics---

OFFLOADING THE BOLENS 1886 2.jpg OFFLOADING THE BOLENS 1886 3.jpg OFFLOADING THE BOLENS 1886 4.jpg

Edited by Utah Smitty, July 26, 2013 - 11:37 PM.

• olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens 1886, husky 1886