• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 06:31 PM

Maybe I'm just assuming. Are you going to pull with it or just a hopped up yard tractor?  Some folks, like me, just want a street rod that cuts grass. If that is the case, some things like boring the carb would not be a good thing. Same with the3 billet flywheel. You wouldn't have any cooling.

Well there is a way to cool it. All the pullers have a small electric fan they run over top of the head to keep them cool. They use high cfm fans. But I do understand where your coming from as far as cooling.

#17 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 06:38 PM

Well here's what im having a hard time understanding. Are you trying to make a tractor pulling out of this or just something to play with? If anything I would put a bigger motor in it if your wanting to plow and be competitive. If your wanting to do all these mods its not beneficial if you cant put if to the ground, like bigger and  wider tires and a stronger drive train. My opinon is to put a bigger motor like a 10 or a 12hp in it since it has more power and more torque and if you want engine modifications theyre easier to work with. An 8hp isn't the biggest platform to work with but if its all you have then there's no option.

#18 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 06:57 PM

Sounds like he's just going for something that doesn't spin out right away and is not too bad.  So if you hop up the engine a bit and get some weight on the back end you should do some more than just spin out.  If you're not expecting to win, that may be enough.

#19 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 09:44 PM

I LL tinker with it a bit but yea not a puller a more like hook it up and ill see what i can drag i spun out last time had 140lbs up frount and frount end came up bout a foot then there was no weight on the back end so it spun out thats why i am thinking wheelie bars that i can through on

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 10:49 PM

If the wheelie bars hit, you will loose traction faster. Spinning out is a lot better than flipping tho.
Object is to balance the rig so the fronts either touch or hover a few inches off the ground but then you can't steer.
With the bigger tractors, we had the turning brakes, big advantage.

#21 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 09:27 PM

Well i think i over spun it i a, probaly only push 36 to 3800 rpm 3500 is the rated max rpm but i been noticing oil leaking out behind the flywheel so i musta junked a seal that oil that you can see in pictures is about 15 mins old still looks new  and i am getting a tiny leak outta the pto side but can i replace these with out pulling the crank??  i think i can i just dont feel like tearing into it again

Attached Thumbnails

• 0801131520.jpg
  • 0801131520a.jpg
  • 0801131520b.jpg

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 10:11 PM

On the teccy's, there is a bearing cap with the seal in it, right under the flywheel. hope the briggs is similar

You might see if there is to much play and if there is a way to shim?

#23 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 10:50 PM

I am not sure what model 8hp Briggs you have, but on all my 8hp Horizontal shaft Briggs they don't use any bearings on the crank. They just use the hole in the housing as the bearing for the crank ends. So I wouldn't go to crazy over revving yours if it has no actual bearings.

The seals can be replaced with out taking the engine all apart. You just have to remove the flywheel and the pulley. Then pry them out, or put a couple sheet metal type screws into them and pull them out with them.

• MH81 said thank you

#24 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 10:26 AM

yea mine dont have any actuall bearing  its like you described its 190000 series i dont want to be pushing 6000 rpm its still goverened just tweaked a little bit and strait piped so far