#1 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 07:56 PM

Started working on the tractor and the first thing was to remove the bad motor,It's a Kohler K361 that was run low on oil.I took it out of the tractor and took it apart to see if it would be a rebuildable. After getting inside and seeing the shape of the crankshaft and the connecting rod I gave up any hope of putting this one back into service.Upon further examination I also discovered that the balance gears were wobbling around inside on there shafts as well.So this motor was beyond rebuild.I got lucky and found a very nice 12 HP Kohler motor that was in a wheel horse tractor that had a blown hydro unit in it.The PO had taken the hydro apart and wans't able to get the parts that he needed and he just kinda put it back together minus some parts.So I bougth it for just the motor to beable to put it into the Allis.I painted the new [used] motor black as it was all red and put it back together today as much as I could.[I don't like to leave things apart for too long as things go missing]So it'll be ready to put into the Allis once I get some other issues taken care of.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• Allis winter project 001 (Small).jpg
  • K361 013 (Small).jpg
  • K361 012 (Small).jpg
  • K361 002 (Small).jpg
  • wheel horse charger 12 001 (Small).jpg
  • Allis winter project 012 (Small).jpg

#2 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 08:23 PM

After downloading a manual for the tractor I soon realized that why I wasn't able to find the hydro oil level/filler tube was because it was broken off.The PO had put a bolt with a rubber washer inside the broken off fitting.What a chore trying to remove the broken off piece.I have some screw type ezee outs and tried to remove the broken of piece with it but it didn't work.What it was doing was expanding the broken piece and I couldn't get it to loosen at all. I then went into town to my friends shop and asked him if he had some sort of ezee out that I could use to remove the broken off pipe.He gave me three different ones to try.I tried the pipe removing one but it didn't work as there wasn't enough material to grab hold of.I then tried the one that drives in with the 8 serrated edges but the hole was just a bit to big.The last one I tried was the 4 sided wedge type.I drove it in as good as I could as there's really no room to get a hammer in there to get a good swing.I tried it and all it did was spin around as well.I then figured I may as well start taking the trans and hydro out at I was going to have to drill out the broken off piece and retap the case.I actually got busy doing some other stuff and about 3 hrs later thougth give it another try.So I drove the wedge style ezee out in and gave it another try.To my surprise and delight it moved,I continued to keep turning and out it came.{Boy was I ever happy}.So I then put in a 3/8 street elbow and added a pipe with a cap to show what it should look like.Tommoro I'll get a black pipe elbow and cap to get it finished off.What a good feeling to have been able to get that broken piece out without having to pull the diff.This morming I took a drive to the Simpilicity Dealer to have a look what they have for the Hydro's.There's a street elbow that goes into the case with a 3" pipe screwed into the end of the street elbow with a cap on the end of the pipe.It's set at a angle towards the back of the tractor about 1 3/8" away from the gear case measured to the center of the pipe at the top of the pipe.The oil level is supposed to be right to the top of the pipe.So this is what I did with mine.I did look at the ones with the gear trans and they have a street elbow with a plug on them.There's also a difference as to where the street elbows are located.On the gear trans the fill tube is between the wheel and case ,where on the hydro the fill tube is located between the two hitch arms.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• Allis winter project 004 (Small).jpg
  • Allis winter project 006 (Small).jpg
  • Allis winter project 007 (Small).jpg
  • Allis winter project 008 (Small).jpg
  • Allis winter project 009 (Small).jpg
  • Allis winter project 015 (Small).jpg
  • Allis winter project 016 (Small).jpg
  • Allis winter project 017 (Small).jpg

Edited by massey driver, November 16, 2010 - 07:18 PM.
Found out more info

#3 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 08:35 PM

The hydro check valves are stuck down on the tractor and I have soaked them for a few days in wd-40 and haven't been able to get them to move.The poppet part of the valve is whats giving me problems.So Today I tried to get them to pop back out using hyralic oil pressure.I used a coupler [o-ring base] and welded a pipe thread reducer onto one end so that I could thread the valve into the one end and put a quick connect coupler on the other end.Once I had it together I connected it to the hydralic pump on the MF 1655 and used a drill with a pulley mounted into the chuck to turn the pump.I was hoping that it would push the poppet out with hydralic oil pressure.Guess what It didn't work the belt would just slip and believe me I put lot of pressure on the drill to try to keep it from slipping.So looks like I'll have to try and figure out some other way to try and get it to come loose.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• Allis winter project 013 (Small).jpg
  • Allis winter project 014 (Small).jpg

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 09:52 PM

Well, you're making some progress! Looks like you'll be finished before winter even really gets here. Then what will you do? You'll have to buy another winter project LOL!

#5 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted November 16, 2010 - 07:34 PM

I was looking at the differential carrier assy. today and discovered that the rubber seal to the axle hub was missing.I ended up taking it all apart and cleaned it out due to all the grass and muck that was in the gears etc: It was almost like a black dirt mud. I took it all apart cleaned it all up and painted it black again to make it look good and stop any rust.I still have to put it back on the tractor tommoro and fill it with grease and put in the new rubber seal.Yeah my winter project has started already as here it's cold out and working inside the shop with heat on.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• Allis winter project 018 (Small).jpg
  • Allis winter project 019 (Small).jpg
  • Allis winter project 022 (Small).jpg
  • Allis winter project 023 (Small).jpg
  • Allis winter project 024 (Small).jpg

#6 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted November 16, 2010 - 07:41 PM

Well, you're making some progress! Looks like you'll be finished before winter even really gets here. Then what will you do? You'll have to buy another winter project LOL!

Somehow I always have way more projects then I can do in a winter, always thinking about making or building something.Larry

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted November 16, 2010 - 08:08 PM

Somehow I always have way more projects then I can do in a winter, always thinking about making or building something.Larry

I surely hear you on that Larry. I have enough in my head to last several winters, and hope to maybe get a couple a year finished....if that much.
  • lowrider said thank you

#8 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 - 09:31 AM

As you know when I bougth this tractor the Hydro Check Valves were pushed down in the transport postion.This tractor has sat for a couple years{thats what the PO had said} anyway they were stuck down and after soaking them for a week or better I wasn't able to get the poppet to pop back out.Seeing that there's noway to push them back from the inside I figured that I was going to have to buy new ones. I checked out prices on the net and thats when I figured I'd better try to get them freed up or it was going to cost me way too much.So after thinking about it one night {of course couldn't sleep] this is what I did yesterday and now there working perfectly.I Took both valves out and put a center punch mark into the center of the poppet.I then used the drill press and a small drill bit 5/32" and drilled down into the poppet about 1/2".{If I had a lathe I would have put the valve into it and then it would have been dead on center.}The way I did it,it worked as well just had to be very careful.I then used a tap{I used a metric size as I had a couple small screws that thread size} I then tapped each poppet valve and screwed the small screws into the ends of each valve[poppet].Once the screws were tightened I put the head of the screw into the vice and tapped on the valve body to try and pull the poppet out of the valve body.They finally did come out and once they were out I used the wire brush on the grinder to remove all the rust.Then I applied more WD-40 and pushed them back in.It took a few times pushing them in and out with appling WD-40 before I was able to move them in and out with my fingers.I was also able to spin them as well so now there working perfect.They actually pop out on there own now as there spring loaded.I think myself if they had made the valves a bit different by having them longer then when they'd get stuck in a person could just put them into a vise and pull them out like what I did.So what I did was just leave the screws in the ends this way If they ever give problems all I need to do is spin them with a screw driver or put them in a vice and pull them out.The last thing that I had to do was change to hole's in the plate a bit so that when you want to move the tractor I can still push down on the plate and it will lock down and hold the valves down in the transport postion.I just had to use a file and file down a bit about half a hole in order for it to work.In the up postion there's still about 1/8" clearance between the screws [now] and the plate so I didn't need to have to do anything about that hole postion .So now its good to go .I used a drill with a pulley mounted in the chuck to spin the hydro and It actually drives.Yippee.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• freeing poppet valve 001 (Small).jpg
  • freeing poppet valve 002 (Small).jpg
  • freeing poppet valve 003 (Small).jpg
  • freeing poppet valve 004 (Small).jpg
  • freeing poppet valve 005 (Small).jpg

• tractormike said thank you

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 - 10:11 AM

Great job Larry....that's good thinking!

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 - 10:22 AM

That's awesome that you were able to get them freed without having to buy new.

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 - 11:15 AM

That's great Larry.

#12 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 - 08:31 PM

Really glad to hear that you are making progress on your project. You do a very good job with your pictures. Almost makes me feel that a dummy like me could do such a project provided I had such good instructions and pictures to work with.

#13 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted November 19, 2010 - 06:49 PM

I did a bit more work on the Allis today however no pics as it was more of a cleaning up of parts and stuff.I drilled a new hole in the motor mount plate so that I'd beable to drain oil out of the motor.It was easier to drill a hole on the other end of the plate then to take the oil pan off the new[used]motor.I also painted the plate where the gas tank and battery sit as they were very rusty.I cleaned up the area as good as I could and used a rust eater primer, and that was about it fot today,It wasn't very much but non the less it was still something.Larry

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 19, 2010 - 07:37 PM

Doesn't matter how little,it's still progress.

#15 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 09:39 AM

Good work Larry on freeing up those hydro valves and thanks for posting the how you did it pictures! I am sure someone else will run into the same problem in the future and be able to use your idea.