9 replies to this topic

#1 juice OFFLINE  

juice
  • Member No: 41110
  • 8 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 12:54 PM

Hello, all!

I have a part that I've been missing for about a year and trying to locate for my 1995 Sears Craftsman (917252710) tractor. It has a 42" deck w/ Kohler Magnum 18HP Twin engine.

The part I'm attempting to locate is an L-shaped metal plate that bolts to the front of the chassis and bends under the muffler, which exhausts downward. I took this part off to service the muffler, but while the mower was apart, this shield got misplaced (more than likely trashed by an associate) and now I am unable to find the part to order it.

I've tried calling Sears Parts Direct and they have a heat shield that mounts underneath the muffler, but my tractor has that shield installed. The part I'm looking for swings under that heat shield and rerouts the exhast fumes so that they don't flowdirectly downward. As it stands without that part, if I were to park my tractor on the grass with it running, anything longer than a minute will yield a big, fat patch of dead grass in a couple days. Also, if there is any hay lying on top of what I'm cutting, then the exhaust will pick up the hay and blow it on top of the deck. So, basically, when I get done cutting, the deck on the mower is literally covered with dry grass, which is a fire hazard. The grass gets so packed that a leaf blower does nothing. I have to lower the deck and reach in to pull out the dry clumps.

Basically, when you stand in front of the mower and look at it, the exhaust is exposed, whereas it should be hidden behind the shield that mounts to the front of the chassis.

I'm sure that the reason I can't find the part is because it was sold as part of the chassis itself, which is now a discontinued item at Sears.

So, the reason I'm here is to see if anyone can offer some pointers on how to find the item. Maybe I'm calling it by the wrong name, maybe someone can offer me a good parts website that might carry this item, OR maybe someone knows exactly what I'm talking about and can advise me further.

If it's time for a new mower, please let me know. I've been saving for one, but I'm a cheap you-know-what and I'd much rather fix the one that I have as I've put some money into the maintenance of the tractor and she runs great for pushing 20 years. I'd hate to see her go...  :wallbanging: 

I will post a picture once I get home to better explain the problem at hand.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!  =)

• Jack, larryd and JRJ have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 01:02 PM

is it possible your tractor came with a spark arrester?

I can look at my GT5000 next weekend & see if it has it.

• larryd and juice have said thanks

#3 juice OFFLINE  

juice
  • 8 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 01:53 PM

Hey, thanks for the quick response! I can't find any documentation on whether or not that model has a screen, but I'm sure it does. I can take the reflow off the bottom of the muffler and check (I assume that's where it'd be if there was one). Regardless, with all the debris that was collecting on the mower deck every time I've mowed for over a year, if there wasn't a spark arrestor, I'd probably have had a fire by now (if not worse) =P

I know it's pretty dangerous, but I've been running it that way for the past two cutting seasons with no problem. Only problem is when I cut the grass, the exhaust blows the hay all over the place including all over my arms and legs. I break out in a rash every time I cut. By the time the rash wears off, it's time to cut again. I've had a constant hay rash for three months haha I would wear long-sleeves and pants, but the heat index has been pushing 110ºF here recently. I'd rather suffer a mild rash on my arms and legs than pass out from heat exhaustion.

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#4 juice OFFLINE  

juice
  • 8 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 02:03 PM

In fact, if I could find some way to reroute the exhaust to keep it from blowing on the ground, killing the live grass and blowing around the dead grass, then that would be prime. I just don't feel like replumbing the exhaust or paying to have it done. The tractor is so old, I doubt it would be worth it in either case.

Edited by juice, July 22, 2013 - 02:04 PM.

• larryd said thank you

#5 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 02:58 PM

I saw a couple of heat shields on the parts site, one above and one below the muffler. It mentioned the optional spark arrester... I wonder if that's what's missing? P/N 137180, but no picture of it.

Edited by nra1ifer, July 22, 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#6 juice OFFLINE  

juice
  • 8 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 03:48 PM

I saw a couple of heat shields on the parts site, one above and one below the muffler. It mentioned the optional spark arrester... I wonder if that's what's missing? P/N 137180, but no picture of it.

Thanks! The only spark arrestors I've ever seen are muffler screens, but I suppose that anything that deflects flammable debris could be considered an arrestor. Thanks for the part no. So, no picture, eh? Now, you've got me thinking...hmm

• larryd said thank you

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 05:46 PM

First, Let me welcome you to GTT. I don't know about you muffler problem but maybe I can help with the rash. Pick up an Army surplus desert camo shirt and wear it with a boonie hat. If you get, hot pour some water on the shirt. Light weight(summer) camo shirts have kept me cooler for 40+ years in hot weather. Remember to drink plenty of water too. You can also try some kind of deflector to send the clippings away from you. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, July 22, 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#8 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 09:06 PM

Would it not be possible to fab something close

larryd
  • boyscout862 and juice have said thanks

#9 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 12:55 AM

There is a guy very near me that is parting out a bunch of craftsman tractors about the age of yours. Check him out and if he has what you need I could pick it up and send it to you.

Jack

http://cincinnati.cr...3933393176.html
  • MH81 and juice have said thanks

#10 juice OFFLINE  

juice
  • 8 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 07:05 AM

There is a guy very near me that is parting out a bunch of craftsman tractors about the age of yours. Check him out and if he has what you need I could pick it up and send it to you.

Jack

http://cincinnati.cr...3933393176.html

Oh my... on it :worship:

• Jack said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exhaust guard, heat shield, craftsman, kohler