#16 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 07:02 PM

Beginning last Friday, we had a couple of days of really nice, soaking rains. We were gone over the weekend, worked Monday, then all last night until 10:30 this morning. When I got up at supper time, I went to the garden to get some things for dinner. Needless to say, there's a LOT that needs done, but I have to work again tonight, so it will have to wait. However, I DID get some lettuce, cucumbers, small tomatoes, some squash, and.... I poked around the row of potatoes.... looks like it's time to dig those. I got several to eat with supper..... I forgot to take a picture of the beautiful lettuce..... it's in my tummy now!!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF4111.JPG
  • DSCF4112.JPG

• Alc and twostep have said thanks

#17 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 10:54 PM

Well, this morning I picked 4 5-gallon buckets full of peppers: 3 of sweet banana peppers, and one of hot banana, green chili, and cayenne. Tonight, I picked a bucket full of those wonderful Italian flat green beans. Spent the evening cleaning those, now are ready to blanch and can, hopefully tomorrow. I hope to pickle a bunch of the banana peppers, and make some relish. I saw the first okra bloom today, so we'll be swimming in okra soon! Also picked a few eggplant. Lots more coming! We have had a BUNCH of rain lately. So much so that the tomato plants are suffering. Oh well, we might have to break down and buy :wallbanging: a bushel or two to put up. Can't have it all, I guess. Locally, the Tontitown Grape Festival is going on this week, might need to go see that one night this week. Keeping my eyes open for a particular variety (Chambourcin), enough to fill up a 15-gallon tank to make a new batch of wine! I LOVE this time of year! In my spare time, I need to mow a few yards, including mine, again!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF4113.JPG
  • DSCF4114.JPG
  • DSCF4115.JPG
  • DSCF4116.JPG

• Alc, KennyP, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#18 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 08:31 AM

Morning Paul; I'm with you on the grass cutting, that's if this rain ever lets up enough so the grass can dry up a little.

I haven't forgot about a dinner out.

Your veggies look real nice, enjoy.

Dick

Edited by JRJ, August 08, 2013 - 12:24 PM.

• nra1ifer and twostep have said thanks

#19 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 06:27 PM

We're trying a new recipe tonight: took some of the larger, straighter peppers (both mild and hot), split them lengthwise, then filled them with a mixture of hamburger meat, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion, and some Cow Town BBQ sauce. They are baking in the oven. I'll report back later, but they sure smell good!

Edited by nra1ifer, August 08, 2013 - 06:42 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 06:39 PM

I remember Tontitown! Cool place! Been thru there many times!

#21 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 05:14 PM

Tonight, we'll be processing 2 canner-loads of Italian flat green beans, and cooking some eggplant, and a tomato/okra combination. It'll be a busy evening!

DSCF4119.JPG

We also received a shipment today from MySpiceSage.com. We ordered some Italian Seasoning, black peppercorns, garlic powder, and onion flakes. Got a free sample of lemon pepper to try. We like using this place to order our spices and seasonings. Great prices, and superb quality.

DSCF4118.JPG

• twostep and JRJ have said thanks

#22 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Well, here's part of the results of tonight's canning session: 12 quarts of green beans (7 here in the picture, another 5 in the canner at the moment) and 4 1/2 quarts of my okra/tomatoes/sweet banana/hot banana/hot chili/cayenne/garlic mixture. 2 1/2 to put in the fridge to consume posthaste, and 2 in the canner. It's pleasantly spicey, not overboard at all.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF4121.JPG
  • DSCF4120.JPG

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and JRJ have said thanks

#23 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 09:33 PM

Paul, Everything looks great, the Okra mix really sound delicious.

Thanks for sharing, now I'm going to find something to eat ! :thumbs:

• nra1ifer said thank you

#24 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Paul, Everything looks great, the Okra mix really sound delicious.

Thanks for sharing, now I'm going to find something to eat ! :thumbs:

Thanks, it's really pretty awesome. Between the "samples" I had of that, along with several slices of baked eggplant I had (I brush the slices with coconut oil, italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt/pepper, then bake it for about 30 min at 325), I kinda full!

• Texas Deere and Horse and JRJ have said thanks

#25 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 09:45 PM

Thanks, it's really pretty awesome. Between the "samples" I had of that, along with several slices of baked eggplant I had (I brush the slices with coconut oil, italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt/pepper, then bake it for about 30 min at 325), I kinda full!

I will try that on some Eggplant next time, it sounds really good also!!

#26 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 09:48 PM

I will try that on some Eggplant next time, it sounds really good also!!

Oh... and some parmesan or asiago cheese...... it's YUMMY!!!

Edited by nra1ifer, August 22, 2013 - 09:48 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and JRJ have said thanks

#27 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 09:33 AM

Damn Paul you are turning into the CHEF of the century; all your fixings sure look good. Thanks for sharing.

Dick

Edited by JRJ, August 23, 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#28 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 06:43 PM

Damn Paul you are turning into the CHEF of the century; all your fixings sue look good. Thanks for sharing.

Dick

We need to get together and REALLY share!

#29 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 07:52 AM

After work yesterday, I knew I needed to pick okra. Hadn't since Sunday morning. Got a 5-gallon bucket full! Me thinks I might cut down a row or two! I always plant too much, then try to keep up with it. Oh, well. We'll see. I know several people that reap the benefits of my over-planting, so that makes up for the extra work. It's nice to see them happy!!!

A few years ago I made a TON of pickled okra. So much so that I haven't had to make any for at least 3 years. Well, last night was my first batch for this year. The pressure canner holds 7 quart jars... the picture only shows 6 because this mornnig before I took the picture I put the 7th in the fridge..... that way it'll be nice and cold this afternoon so I can try it!!! The remainder of the 5 gallons of okra will go to friends. One is a lady we know that is from Mississippi. She LOVES okra and will take all I can give her. The other is a lady who cuts my wife's hair. That one is more of a barter deal. Not every one likes pickled okra, but I've converted several non-believers over the years. They swear they couldn't stand it, but they LOVE mine!! At the Farmer's Market and at produce markets, I'm seeing okra selling for $3-$5/quart!!!! I think I have a gold mine in the back yard! Maybe I ought to limit my gardening to okra!!! Hmmmmmm........

DSCF4133.JPG

• oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#30 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 01:41 AM

What kind of pressure canner do you use? Ours is an All American, holds 7 qts. or 16 pts. and is steel on steel, no rubber gasket. We sure like it and have never had a minutes trouble from it in 25 years.