#1 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 11:22 AM

It was a unusually cool morning in the garden today. Took advantage of that and danced with my hoe (weeding) for a bit, then started picking a few things. Tomatoes and okra are behind this year, but will be picking some soon. We've had cherry tomatoes, but none of the larger ones, yet. I planted eggplant for the first time this year and it's doing very well. We grilled some last week and it was delicious!! Wax beans did well, and I just got the first picking of Italian flat green beans, got enough to can 3 quarts and eat a couple of handfuls raw. First year for these beans, recommended by my Italian friend that has a produce market just south of us. (Check out Ranalli Produce...  http://ranallifarms.com/.  Chris and I have become good friends over the last year or so. We're anticipating a good grape crop and really looking forward to making another batch or two (or three, or four!!) of wine. Grape harvest should be mid-August.)  I really like those beans, and they are VERY prolific. I had started picking some of those when I was chased out of the garden by....... RAIN!!!! We really need it, and it looks like we'll get a nice soaking rain today!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF4063.JPG
  • DSCF4064.JPG

Edited by nra1ifer, July 22, 2013 - 11:23 AM.

• Alc, JD DANNELS, Fabman and 6 others have said thanks

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 12:52 PM

Looks Good!!

• nra1ifer and larryd have said thanks

#3 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 01:02 PM

Looks like a great haul

larryd

• nra1ifer said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 02:30 PM

Nothing tastes better than your own harvest! It'll be a while up here before we get much but most things are in blossom now so it won't be too long. 

#5 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 02:48 PM

Nice pickins ya got there. Wish we could get a rain but its looking like were coping last year with drought.

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 05:56 PM

We have supper a la garden this evening.  :thumbs:

We didn't plant much okra this year.  Last year the plants went berserk and produced enough to feed an army.  Instead, we fed the freezer and still get to enjoy it this year. 

Ben W.

#7 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 12:46 AM

Let the grazing commence! We are eating steady as we weed, on the second planting of raddish, picked an ice-cream pail full of peas and enough saskatoons for a pie (I'll have to talk sweetly to Olde Deere#2 about that, lol). The lettice is ready as are the onions, and the sweet potato patch is looking good. We'll have to find some of that bean seed to try next year--- I like growing something new each year.

#8 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 05:45 PM

Picked more beans, cucumbers, lettuce, kale, and collard greens today. Cooked the greens down and got them ready to can... also steaming the beans to prep them for canning...... maybe can get that done after church tonight.

#9 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 09:47 PM

how do you cook the greens? I've got some extra Chard that I might try to can.

#10 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 02:13 AM

how do you cook the greens? I've got some extra Chard that I might try to can.

I usually cook enough down to can 7 quarts at a time, which means I have to fill a water-bath canner pot about 3/4 full of cooked greens. I have a washing set-up on my back porch that consists of a nice Kohler porcelain-coated sink mounted in a frame I made, and a water hose. I wash the greens good (I capture most of the run-off in 5-gal buckets and water the garden and/or flower beds), chop them kind of coarsely, then dump them in the pot which is set on either my grill's side burner, or the burner that came with a turkey fryer. As the cook down, add more greens..... eventually they are cooked enough to start putting them in quart jars, then in the pressure canner for 40 minutes at 10 PSI.....  What I would really like to find is another nice pressure canner..... then I could have 2 batches going at once.

Edited by nra1ifer, July 28, 2013 - 02:18 AM.

#11 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 02:23 AM

I usually cook enough down to can 7 quarts at a time, which means I have to fill a water-bath canner pot about 3/4 full of cooked greens. I have a washing set-up on my back porch that consists of a nice Kohler porcelain-coated sink mounted in a frame I made, and a water hose. I wash the greens good (I capture most of the run-off in 5-gal buckets and water the garden and/or flower beds), chop them kind of coarsely, then dump them in the pot which is set on either my grill's side burner, or the burner that came with a turkey fryer. As the cook down, add more greens..... eventually they are cooked enough to start putting them in quart jars, then in the pressure canner for 40 minutes at 10 PSI.....  What I would really like to find is another nice pressure canner..... then I could have 2 batches going at once.

Also, my experience has led me to like growing collard greens and kale rather than chard or spinach. Although I like chard and spinach, the collard greens and kale clean MUCH easier. Seems like the nutrition content is better, if I remember correctly. Most of the time when I eat the greens, I add basalmic vinegar or butter and pepper.

• JRJ said thank you

#12 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 01:01 PM

s

Also, my experience has led me to like growing collard greens and kale rather than chard or spinach. Although I like chard and spinach, the collard greens and kale clean MUCH easier. Seems like the nutrition content is better, if I remember correctly. Most of the time when I eat the greens, I add basalmic vinegar or butter and pepper.

So you just boil htem down in water and can? no seasoning?

#13 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 06:32 AM

s

So you just boil htem down in water and can? no seasoning?

Correct, no seasoning. If I add anything, it'll be when we're preparing them for dinner. You could season them before if you'd like. We usually have so much stuff coming out of the garden, including the greens, that my goal is to simply get stuff preserved and "put up". Pretty soon we'll be up to our eyeballs with okra, too, and will hopefully be getting lots of tomatoes. It's been a few years since I've made pickled okra, so that's another project that will be done. Besides the pickled okra, I like to make a mixture of okra, tomatoes, peppers, and onions, cook a water-bath canner pot full of that, then pressure can it. A full pot will make 14 quarts in the pressure canner. That's an all-day job right there....... and a good example of when I could use a 2nd pressure canner! That alone will result in 30-40 quarts to process. Now that I think of it, I also want to make a BIG batch of home-made chicken noodle soup, can it, and put it on the shelf. We can a BUNCH of stuff, so before long, our shelves will be overflowing, and freinds and neighbors will continue to be blessed with the garden proceeds!! It's a lot of work, but the results are fantastic!

• twostep and JRJ have said thanks

#14 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 07:56 AM

I like the way you think Paul!!

#15 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:02 AM

Great looking garden and produce.  Thanks for those great photographs.