jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 08:08 PM

If you've seen my other thread you'll know I've had a bad day.  My new baby has a broken rod and I don't want to shell out the big bucks for an Onan rebuild.

Has anyone repowered a 446 or similar Case with a Kohler M18?  I have one in my Snapper LT that should be in great shape.  I just don't want a 2 year process before I get it done and I don't want to hire a machine shop to make some kind of crazy adapter to drive something.

Just wondering what mods would be necessary and if it is a huge job or one that could be done reasonably.

Thanks!

• larryd said thank you

#2 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 08:29 PM

I can't help you but I'm sure some one on this sight has great knowledge on this . Good luck

larryd

#3 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • Member No: 9312
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 11:38 PM

If you've seen my other thread you'll know I've had a bad day.  My new baby has a broken rod and I don't want to shell out the big bucks for an Onan rebuild.

Has anyone repowered a 446 or similar Case with a Kohler M18?  I have one in my Snapper LT that should be in great shape.  I just don't want a 2 year process before I get it done and I don't want to hire a machine shop to make some kind of crazy adapter to drive something.

Just wondering what mods would be necessary and if it is a huge job or one that could be done reasonably.

Thanks!

It's been done. It's a slight down grade, but all it takes is a crank shaft that is the same size and you'd have to look into fitting the front pto.

The best way to know is to just start doing it and see what you run into.

Here is a pic of one someone did. I wish I had detailed pics for you, but its better than nothing.

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails

• kolhermag18incase.jpg

• jdslednut said thank you

#4 braxx OFFLINE  

braxx

• Member No: 7898
  • 20 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 11:34 AM

I have Case/Ingersoll 446 and 448 also a Massey Ferguson 318gtx (basically a Ingersoll 4018) . The MF318gtx has a kohler m18. I like that engine more than my Onans. It runs PERFECT and isn't as finicky as my onans. That being said, I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel. I would replace your Onan with another Onan just for ease of fitment etc.

Sent from my S3

Edited by olcowhand, July 22, 2013 - 11:50 AM.

• jdslednut said thank you

#5 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 12:22 PM

I would start with pulling the Onan apart first, see how much damage was done, who knows you might be surprised.

#6 dhiesel OFFLINE  

dhiesel

• Member No: 872
  • 18 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 03:05 PM

I had a my Sears running on 1 cyl. tore the engine down, replaced the connecting rods and pistons  (used), put new rings and gaskets on.

It's running today. I was meticulous on flattening my fuel pump, and carb surfaces on the rebuild, tie straps on my vacum lines - after no operation in 4 months it starts right up.