20 replies to this topic

#16 69L46Vert OFFLINE  

69L46Vert
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 41088
  • 38 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 06:23 AM

Did a test it & it will clear, someday I would like to build the right bracket, but that can wait for now.

Btw, anyone able to provide a correct pulley size for the motor for sickle drive?

Looks like it's working very well!  I think you can mow an awful lot of grass using very little fuel with one of these sickles.

I don't know the diameter of the pulley without checking but do know that it is the smallest of them. And the belt specified is 1/2" by 107". (for 60656) The easiest thing for the rear bracket and lever is to find a 65 parts tractor if possible.

And you re right, the pic above (blue tractor w/generator) showing the right side belt tightener is something I adapted from a 66 era tractor. I mounted it to the front axle at it's upper hole and shortened the tensioning rod to fit.

• MH81, TAHOE and classic have said thanks

#17 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 08:14 AM

69L46 was who I got all the information from that I posted for you, now that he is on the site, we have a deep well of DB info!!! :thumbs:

Good, thing cause I maybe needing help on installing reverse disc :wave:

Edited by TAHOE, October 01, 2013 - 08:14 AM.

• MH81 and 69L46Vert have said thanks

#18 69L46Vert OFFLINE  

69L46Vert
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 41088
  • 38 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 08:23 AM

69L46 was who I got all the information from that I posted for you, now that he is on the site, we have a deep well of DB info!!! :thumbs:

Good, thing cause I maybe needing help on installing reverse disc :wave:

I learned most of what I know from Jeff's Yahoo site. Thanks Jeff!

• MH81 said thank you

#19 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 09:17 PM

Old post I know, but new info to add to it. There are two models of the this mower. One is a 917.60639 and the other is the 917.60656. The first ones seem to have came out sometime in late 63 and the other one is for the 65 and up tractor. For a long time it was hard to know which of these units you had due to the lack of machines out there and the lack of an surviving id plate. I recently got a hold of a 639 mower, with its tag mounted to the mule drive, and a most of a poor but readable manual. By comparing this manual to the 656 one, I have discovered that the rear mount to the tractor frame is different between them. The 639 uses a bracket with two holes vertical. This bracket goes inside the frame rail. The 656 uses a bracket with 2 holes horizontal, and  the brackets on the outside of the frame rails. they look completely different, as the 639 bracket is a flat bar and the 656 brackets are triangle shaped. Between the mower I have and the 2 manuals I'm pretty sure this info is correct. If some one out there has a 656 mower, and can verify it by tag, let me know.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#20 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 08:11 PM

Found another clue to id'ing the two mowers today. Both used a mule drive to power the drive, and both used a drive that slide back and forth. On a 639 mower the drive is controlled by a short handled rod assembly that runs down the outside of the left side of the frame. On 656 mower this control rod assembly is inside the frame on the right hand side and has a large lever with a rubber grip on it. I'm sure i'll find some more things as I study the mower and the manuals more.

• MH81, Alc and classic have said thanks

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 08:36 PM

Mine had the rod on the outside I think.
  • Lauber1 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 9919, david bradley, sickle bar, sears, 725, 9917