#1 hdg4400 ONLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 02:52 PM

Well, showing my ignorance here, but my JD 318 won't start. It has been hesitant starting lately, but yesterday afternoon, it refused to start, just rapid clicking when I tried to start it.

I cleaned the battery cable conections in a solution of baking soda (lots of corrosion on the + one), checked the cell levels in the battery (were full), and charged the battery overnight. Put it back together this morning, but no luck. First time I tried, it there was just one click, them a few more, leading to rapid clicking. Now it does the rapid clicking all the time when I try

If I remember correctly, there was something in an earlier topic about a kit/fix to bypass something and allow more power to the starter or solenoid, or something like that. Could that be an option?

I've attached a video to let you hear the clicking sound. Any help would be apreciated.

Attached File  SDV_0014.wmv   2.01MB   95 downloads

Harlan

• JRJ said thank you

#2 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 02:57 PM

About a year after my parents bought theirs in 87 dad washed it after mowing the yard.  Next time he went to start it he had nothing.  Turned out the water fried the solid state electrical box under the dash on it.  Would check the simpler things first ie, solenoid, switch, etc.  It could be a possibility if all else checks out good. 

• MH81 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 03:00 PM

I think you're dealing with a dead battery, but you may be looking at a dead shorted starter or solenoid.

Can you take a volt reading of the battery at least and let us know what it reads before, during and after trying to start it?

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 03:06 PM

I've not had to deal with such an issue just yet, but seems like I remember these JD's have a relay that trips the solenoid.  Kinda sounds like the relay is stuttering it's points, causing the starter to make that horrible noise.  I'd see if I could get a test wire clipped directly to the starter's solenoid & touch the other end directly to the + on the battery to see if the starter functions correctly.

• MH81 said thank you

#5 hdg4400 ONLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 04:00 PM

The battery shows 12.5 volts when the key is off, doesn't really change when the key is on. When I try to start it, the voltage doesn't change much either, maybe .01 or .02 volts lower. Now the clicking is slower. Battery still shows 12.5 volts after multiple starting attempts.

Also, with the key on and I try the lights, they don't shine, and both oil pressure and battery dash indicator lights go out.

Do I have a loose wire somewhere maybe?

Harlan

#6 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,734 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 04:13 PM

Try bypassing the battery cables.  Possibility they are corroded on the inside of the insulation enough to reduce the amperage flow to the starter.  Has happened to me . Usually at the worst time.    Rick 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 04:19 PM

There is an electronic module in those tractors that handles the indicator lights, seat switch delay etc. You could have a problem in the module or in the wiring going to it. I'll PM you some information that may help. 

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 04:57 PM

I'd check the engine ground connection too. Good Luck, Rick

#9 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 05:17 PM

I am going to say possibly a bad battery; pull the battery out and take it to any auto parts store and request them to do a load test, most of the auto parts stores will NOT charge you for that, like auto zone or such auto parts stores.

Dick

#10 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 05:26 PM

Sounds like a bad connection to me could be on either side take your cables loose and clean then both good and clean the post on the battey also

• 101 senior and hdg4400 have said thanks

#11 hdg4400 ONLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 09:24 PM

Greeting:

Thanks to all the help and suggestions, but it loooks like Littledeere was right.

Spent about three hours this afternoon trying various things, taking the battery and the battery shelf out, jiggling wires, even opened the circuit board case that's just behind the battery. Then hooked up jumper cables from the battery to the plus and minus tractor cables. Behold, it started! Put everything back together, including tractor cables on the battery. Wouldn't start. Took it all apart again, and put the jumper cables back in the loop. It started.

Finally figured out that while I had cleaned the cable connectors, I hadn't sanded the insides of the connectors or the battery posts. DId that, reconnected things, and it started. I still think I will have the battery load tested, Don't know how old it is.

Thanks again. Love being on GTTalk and participating in the topics when I have something worthwhile to say. I check GTTalk for new posts a lot more often than I check Facebook.

Harlan

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 05:44 AM

Glad to hear you found the problem :thumbs: