• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 863 Thanks
  • 878 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 08:31 AM

I was just wondering if anyone has ever installed a 3 cylinder Kubota engine in a MF 1655?The engine is out of a G5200 HST Diesel.Any comments would be greatly appriciated

• larryd said thank you

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 08:43 AM

Not a Kubota, but I put a Yanmar 3 cylinder in my MF1655.  Had to stretch the frame & heavily modify other stuff, but it's done.   1655 Diesel repower

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#3 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 08:49 AM

If you dont have much in the engine a repower isn't a bad idea, but many repowers start with a 1500.00+ new engines and sometimes lots of fabrication is needed to properly install. What you are doing is a complex mechanical engineering project. First your changing the physical dynamics of the tractor, front to back weight ratio, plus torque and power curves, all that said, your biggest challenge is the radiator, in that I think the kubota diesel was designed to have the radiator between the engine and firewall, not up front. The tractor should be able to handle this kind of repower, all I'm saying is this is going to be a huge project, especially when you get into glow plugs, wiring, relocating the gas tank, etc. A air-cooled diesel would present a lot less challenge, but you dont have a air-cooled diesel. If your going to do it, do it all on paper first and get lots of advice from the guys here that might have done this before, I think Chri Evans is your best bet. I'm not trying to put a damper on your project,far from it, I want to see it come out great, and it wont be easy. I do think it will be a long lasting powerful engine. One VERY important detail I would ask you, have you ever drove a small diesel GARDEN TRACTOR, not a regular tractor, but a diesel Cub or a Allis 920/Simplicity 7790, some are very loud as well as not very nimble, you will need to change out the complete steering system and go with power steering. This is just my opinion and I'm probably not right about everything either. For the money the best choice is the Kohler Magnum 20, find one that needs rebuilt cheap, put a bout 500.00 into it and its almost a drop in repower, sell the kubota engine and you can do a Kohler M20 repower and maybe have enough left over to add power steering to your 1655.

• limebuzz, boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#4 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 08:52 AM

Yes, should be pictures on site. Member USERNAME,owned and sold the tractor.We had it at the GTTalk show in pa a few years ago.    Shawn

• larryd said thank you

#5 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• 863 Thanks
  • 878 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 11:38 AM

Very impressive Daniel,as all your work is.I have a lead on 2 identical tractors so I was just asking to see if it is possible to do.I need it done for fall tilling and the snow removal.

• larryd and OkieGt have said thanks

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 11:50 AM

Very impressive Daniel,as all your work is.I have a lead on 2 identical tractors so I was just asking to see if it is possible to do.I need it done for fall tilling and the snow removal.

Give us an insight to why the diesel conversion, I mean its going to be a lot of money, looks like your thinking of using a used engine, might have to really have it looked over. I mean you could go with either a twin Kohler, Briggs, Onan, or even Honda and have very little fabrication. I was wondering if you have considered an air-cooled diesel engine? There smaller and you dont have to worry about freeze ups. I like your idea alot, I'm just wondering why you do. Thanks

#7 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• 863 Thanks
  • 878 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 12:00 PM

Give us an insight to why the diesel conversion, I mean its going to be a lot of money, looks like your thinking of using a used engine, might have to really have it looked over. I mean you could go with either a twin Kohler, Briggs, Onan, or even Honda and have very little fabrication. I was wondering if you have considered an air-cooled diesel engine? There smaller and you dont have to worry about freeze ups. I like your idea alot, I'm just wondering why you do. Thanks

They are used engines,i have not seen or even heard them run.The Onan that is in the 1655 now has been nothing but trouble since I bought it.Always breaking the mounting ears of the starter.And that ain t fun changing those ever!And the carb has never been right.I just figured that I could get these engines cheaper than a newer Onan,and see what happens
  • boyscout862, larryd and OkieGt have said thanks

#8 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 12:29 PM

They are used engines,i have not seen or even heard them run.The Onan that is in the 1655 now has been nothing but trouble since I bought it.Always breaking the mounting ears of the starter.And that ain t fun changing those ever!And the carb has never been right.I just figured that I could get these engines cheaper than a newer Onan,and see what happens

I'm not trying to dissuade you, just help you figure out a repower you will be happy with and wont cost you your first born. If money is no object and you can perform the fabrication work by all means go for it. I believe the Kohler Magnum 18 or20 to be one of the finest and longest lasting engines made and they will literately drop in with hardly if any fabrication.. that said I like the thought of diesel just for it's longevity and power. it's just a VERY expensive and technical project. Whatever you do, you have the right tractor to start with just for size and features the 1655 has.

#9 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 12:41 PM

Sounds like a good challenge . Good luck

larryd

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,790 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 03:11 PM

If the starter ears are breaking, put an indecator on the flywheel and check for alignment. I've seen a flywheel be off and break starters before. Good Luck, Rick

• limebuzz and OkieGt have said thanks

#11 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• 863 Thanks
  • 878 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 07:59 PM

If the starter ears are breaking, put an indecator on the flywheel and check for alignment. I've seen a flywheel be off and break starters before. Good Luck, Rick

Do you mean my timing could be off?Dumb question but I have set the points and it runs smooth and all!?!?!
  • OkieGt said thank you

#12 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Do you mean my timing could be off?Dumb question but I have set the points and it runs smooth and all!?!?!

I believe what he is saying is to put a Dial Indicator on the tractor and check that the flywheel is not out of round and breaking the starter as it comes around to it on the high side of the egg shape.

• limebuzz, boyscout862 and OkieGt have said thanks

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 08:36 PM

or maybe not installed straight?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#14 bigge61 OFFLINE  

bigge61

• Member No: 2914
  • 96 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 07:01 PM

I am getting ready to start a diesel re-power as well.  I am using a Kubota D-1105.  Preliminary measurements say it will be tight but nothing a grinder and welder woln't fix!  Any progress on yours yet?

#15 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• 863 Thanks
  • 878 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 07:33 AM

No,I just got lucky and found another 16 hp Onan out of a Sears.I had to swap the electric pto and some of the tin work.It was alot less work then spending months getting a diesel to work in there.This tractor dont sit idle very long.Always doing something with it,Either being plowing,cultivating,tilling,blowing or moving snow.And by the looks of things,It will be my main grass cutter this year as well.I hope your re-power goes without a hiccup for you.I will be watching for your thread.Thanks

Paul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massey, kubota