Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 08:22 PM

The local museum and historical society has a couple of trucks that never see the light of day and more importantly the public never gets to see.  There is not a big enough door to get a vehicle in the main two adjoining buildings so these trucks sit in a third, storage building on the back side of the property that is not part of the "tour" in the public viewing area. 

Today was our annual local car show so earlier this week I asked the president of the historical society if I could take these two trucks out so the public could enjoy them.   He thought that would be a great idea but he had to be out of town this weekend so he told me to "do what ever you want with them". 

I ran the red Ford semi in the Christmas parade last year and I am one of only three people insured to remove and drive the trucks on public roads.  Since I previously served on the board of directors I have security codes for the automatic door and alarm system. 

My dad worked for Churchill Truck Lines based right here in Chillicothe, MO for 33 years until they locked the doors in April of 1994 - so the Churchill truck has special meaning to me.  Also,  dad sold Churchill the engine that is in this truck in the late 1970's when they were restoring it.  He also did a fair amount of labor in its restoration at that time.  Churchill was a major employer in this town for decades. 

I had flyers for the museum to give out and got very positive feedback about the trucks.  We have a well funded and beautiful museum but it is not in the best location and it is surprising to me how many locals don't know it exists! 

Chillicothe is also the "home of sliced bread" as the first commercially sliced bread anywhere in the world was sold here in 1928.   The number one bread slicer was worn out and sold for scrap before I was born but our museum has the number two machine on loan from the Smithsonian in DC for the next three years.   I'll include a link to our museum's website.   Enjoy it if you have a few minutes!

http://www.chillicothemuseum.com/   

Attached Thumbnails

• 002.JPG
  • 003.JPG

• Bruce Dorsi, IamSherwood, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#2 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 08:58 PM

Very very nice. Thanks for sharing

larryd 

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 05:13 AM

Those trucks look great. If the Churchill truck was restored in the 70's it's been very well cared for! It sounds like this was a good event for the museum. You are getting the word out there to the local population which will hopefully lead to more support. 

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 05:45 AM

Good looking trucks! Like the Red one. Be a good hauler for the GT's! LOL

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 06:19 AM

Great looking trucks ! The trailer is something you don't see often ,really gives you an idea of what the truck pulled in its day .

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 08:07 AM

Thanx guys! 

I got to thinking while in the cruise Friday evening that most vehicles with stick shifts were slipping the clutch for the slow speeds we were going and I was in third gear while relaxing my left foot.  The super low gearing makes it a great parade ride.  I don't think it would do much over 30 MPH but back then that was fast!  Also the mechanical brakes won't fail from sitting and lack of use like they could on a hydraulic brake vehicle like the Chevy pickup pictured. 

The Yellow Chevy was the first truck John Irvin bought when he started his business in 1953 called Irvinbilt.   Irvinbilt is still going on a smaller scale under new owners but for many years they were a very large contractor building many schools, hospitals, and such in this region.  John Irvin just turned 102 within the last month and up until four months ago he was still driving himself around town.  He has given a lot back to our community in donations and such over the years. 

• Alc said thank you

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 08:19 AM

Those trucks look great. If the Churchill truck was restored in the 70's it's been very well cared for!

The Churchill truck is always kept inside and I know it hasn't been washed or even wet in the last decade.   There is a film of dust on it in the pictures and some cob webs in the wheel spokes but it still shines.   A couple of rust patches are starting to bubble in the lower cowl area. 

I forgot to mention the truck is a 1934 Ford.  The 5th wheel and trailer are Hiway brand also from 1934.