#1 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 09:37 AM

Power surge took out my 6 yr. old HP in August. Bought a new HP Pavilion ($700) in August 2010. worked fine for a couple of months, then one evening the screen was "checkered", kind of like large pixels. Only thing I knew to do was manually shut it down. Wouldn't restart so I took it to a repairman, there it started & worked fine. Month later, same thing again, called HP help, got someone that doesn't speak my language, probably India. After several checks, was told it was a problem with "sleep mode" & not to use sleep mode. This hasn't helped! Unpluging the power will fix it, but only temporarily. Have also since had problems connecting (dialup), gives me a error code 633 (I think), equipment not configured properly ( I had used it two hours earlier, nothing had been changed).

I'm getting ready to call HP warranty to see if I can get something doe that way, this is only 3 months old!

I do have a battery back/surge protector, now! ~~ grnspot110

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,863 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 10:13 AM

If you can reproduce the problem get it to an authorized HP Dealer/Repair Center as it is under warranty. I do not like messing with stuff under warranty as they can claim you did something wrong. They will have to proper equipment to check the hardware.
Seems heat related which could be failing Hardware or a loose connection some where.
One thing you could try is to take the side panel off and check all the wire connections and verify the video card is plugged in properly and not cocked it the slot. Be sure to wear a static strap when you start touching thing inside or at least keep your other hand in contact with the outside of the case at all times before touching anything.
Need I mention it is a good idea to unplug it as well.
If you do not see a video card it is "onboard" meaning it is incorporated into the mother board.
Second, plug a different monitor into it. It seems to point to a video problem of some sort.

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,277 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 05:16 PM

Second, plug a different monitor into it. It seems to point to a video problem of some sort.

Often you'll have to turn the 2nd monitor output on... Some sort of alt+funtion or ctrl+function combination, look for the pictoral of a monitor on one of the keypad F1, F2, F3, etc Buttons

#4 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 05:28 PM

I have talked to customer service rep from Office Max (where I bought it), he seemed think definite hdwe. problem, probably video card.

Also, when I turn off the monitor power button, then back on while this is happening I get "no input signal" on the monitor before it goes to sleep. Monitor was checked during the original call to India, they told me the problem is in the computer itself, not the monitor. ~~ grnspot110

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 16, 2010 - 06:21 AM

Sounds like the video card. I would definitely call in for the warranty. Especially with it being that new. I don't want to see you go digging around inside the computer and still have to get warranty work and them void it on you.