New Jacobsen With Oil Leak

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Buddyl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 40671
  • 4 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 05:08 PM

I came across Jacobson GT14 I have it running but it is leaking oil out the vent on the valve cover, does this mean I'm looking at valve job? Thanks
  • larryd said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 05:23 PM

Welcome to GTTalk Buddy. I created a new topic for your question. That would be a Kohler K 321 in that tractor. The tube is the crankcase vent. It could be leaking because the filter in the vent assembly is missing or plugged up. The leakage could also be a sign that there is blow by happening due to worn rings or cylinder damage. I have also seen this happen when carbon builds up on the head, top of piston and top of the deck/cylinder. I had this happen on a 14hp JD314 with the same engine. I removed the head and cleaned it and replaced the Head gasket and it no longer leaks oil from the breather. You should inspect the breather to make sure the filter is there and clean. If it look ok you may want to give the engine a Sea Foam treatment to try to remove the carbon. You could also remove the head to have a look see. That way you will be able to get an idea what overall condition the engine is in. 

• KennyP, boyscout862, larryd and 1 other said thanks

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,689 Thanks
  • 39,064 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 07:02 PM

Welcome, Buddy! I think Brian is on the right track there. These are great tractors, sometimes need a little extra care to get them back to want we want them to do!

#4 larryd OFFLINE  

• Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 09:29 PM

BUDDY my jd314 done that also plus smoked to some extent. Pulled head and valves and piston
Head was loose but cyl and valves looked great. Breather was all in tack but I kept getting suggestions to replace filter so I did. But problem cured