23 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 02:42 PM

Dug 50 ft. row of Yukon Gold this afternoon. got some nice taters. Dad came out he wanted to watch me dig them. As he said the middle buster paid for itself in that job alone. less than an hour from in the ground to picked up and hauled to the house
photo14_zps95d7446b.jpg

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 20, 2013 - 02:50 PM.

• daytime dave, Alc, jms180 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 02:55 PM

I dug mine last weekend, and the first onions. They were pretty close to your size. I was a little disappointed, but since it warmed up we haven't got any real rains. Getting plenty of cukes and squashes, even some banana peppers. might get some corn later, and nothing but green tomatoes.   I was planted plenty early so I should have had more items ready, but the prolonged cool spring and then the hot and dry really slowed the progress down.

• JD DANNELS, boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,521 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 03:21 PM

I would like to see how the middle buster works if you can do a video sometime. Thanks, Good Luck, Rick

• JD DANNELS and larryd have said thanks

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 03:40 PM

It has been an odd year for the garden . The vines weren't completely dead and may have gotten just a bit larger? Butat this point I can not see buying them at the store when i have thm in the ground,
there is another 70 ft row of Yukon GOLD and a row of KENNEBECK and a third row of novelty potatoes(Mountain Gold, Purple Majesty and Dakota Pearls). I do not have a cellar so am in no hurry to dig them. I try to stretch them out,
For grins I am going to plant another row next week and see if they will mature before frost?

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 20, 2013 - 03:49 PM.

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 03:42 PM

I would like to see how the middle buster works if you can do a video sometime. Thanks, Good Luck, Rick

I do have a Flip that has not been out of the drawer for two years, I will try to get it out and see if it still works.
  • boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,521 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 04:00 PM

I have never had anything but bad luck with potatoes. Our soil is very rocky and when I tried hills we had a fungus. I like to see others successful with them. I'll have to figure out something to trade for potatoes in the future.Good Luck, Rick

#7 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 04:09 PM

Nice looking taters.

#8 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 04:11 PM

I need to dig mine.
  • larryd said thank you

#9 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 04:11 PM

Nice looking potatoes!  I was just looking at mine today, they have just gotten over-run with potato beetles in the last week or so.  Mine look like they are starting to die back, but now I don't know if they are really dying back, or if the beetles are the cause of it.

Meant to ask, when did you plant yours?

Edited by HowardsMF155, July 20, 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#10 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 04:37 PM

Nice looking spuds there JD. I got a few sweeps and shovels and was thinking of making a middle buster myself. If ya could post a pic of yours i could see how yours is set up. I'v been digging up some red pontiacs and are really good. Nothing better than fresh spuds out of the garden. :wave:

#11 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 20, 2013 - 04:53 PM

I have never had anything but bad luck with potatoes. Our soil is very rocky and when I tried hills we had a fungus. I like to see others successful with them. I'll have to figure out something to trade for potatoes in the future.Good Luck, Rick

When I was rais'n taters in New England they loved rocky soil, drained well and that is what taters like.

• JD DANNELS, boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#12 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 06:19 PM

Good looking potatoes :thumbs:  I lost all the Yukon Gold probably  because I didn't  let them skin over when I planted them :wallbanging:   I tried to keep all the early , mid and late potatoes in the same rows so when I dig them up I can just  do the row that's done . I the mean time I've been digging around the plants by hand and taking some as we need them , I didn't want to buy potatoes after going through all the work planting them .

#13 JD DANNELS ONLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 06:21 PM

Nice looking spuds there JD. I got a few sweeps and shovels and was thinking of making a middle buster myself. If ya could post a pic of yours i could see how yours is set up. I'v been digging up some red pontiacs and are really good. Nothing better than fresh spuds out of the garden. :wave:

I did not plant any Red PontIac this year and have been regretting it. In my opinion they make the best country fried potatoes.

Here is a picture of the middle buster. It's mounted on a !500 Ford,  There are pictures of this little diesel all over this site.  In the Garden, Implements and Compact sections.  you would think I was proud of it? :D

photo8_zpsf6f4e716.jpg

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 20, 2013 - 06:39 PM.

• Alc, Fabman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 06:36 PM

Nice looking potatoes!  I was just looking at mine today, they have just gotten over-run with potato beetles in the last week or so.  Mine look like they are starting to die back, but now I don't know if they are really dying back, or if the beetles are the cause of it.

Meant to ask, when did you plant yours?

HOWARD I had too look back through the old post to figure it out(forgot) I found a post where I had plowed the potato patch april 4th and so I am pretty sure I planted April 6th. The vines were not totally dead and dried up, buy Jo wanted some taters dug so she could take some over to her mother and brother.

Those beetles can sure cut into production. I had some in mine about a month ago, so I sprayed them with Sevin.

• HowardsMF155, boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 06:41 PM

Good looking potatoes :thumbs:  I lost all the Yukon Gold probably  because I didn't  let them skin over when I planted them :wallbanging:   I tried to keep all the early , mid and late potatoes in the same rows so when I dig them up I can just  do the row that's done . I the mean time I've been digging around the plants by hand and taking some as we need them , I didn't want to buy potatoes after going through all the work planting them .

Al sorry to hear you had bad luck with the Yukon Gold's  Bunching them so the mature together makes a lot of sense

• larryd said thank you