Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 01:02 PM

I've been looking into (eventuially) repowering my JD420.  I assumed it was the same basic tractor as a JD430, but reading up I find that the 420 uses a Peerless transaxle, while the 430 uses a Sundstrand.  Also the 430 is about 6 inches longer, and 200 lbs heavier (could be difference of diesel and radiator vs air-cooled Onan B48).

I found a Yanmar 3TN diesel for a 430 on eBay, but I would be into it about $1,500 just with purchase price, new starter (owner is keeping the starter) and freight. Then there still the need for a radiator, hoses, hook up misc. etc.

When considering that the 420 and 430 are not the same machines, I'm thinking of going for a different engine.

A friend has a Toro 223D Groundsmaster mower with a Mitsubishi L3 engine--I think. It's a 3 cyl water cooled diesel--the cooling fan is run by a belt driven shaft that runs over the top of the engine.  I haven't been able to find any firm information on which engine is used in the 223D, nor much about the L3 engine.

I went on Toro's websiteto to look for manuals but they require the model number from the data tag, and not that from the decal... it's 40 miles away, so not readily available.

I'm thinking of using this to repower my JD420 when the Onan gives up the ghost--or sooner if fuel costs keep rising.

I've read through the threads about Mitsubishi engines here on GTT, but haven't found much information.

I seem to recall a post from over a year ago where the person said he had worked on lawn equipment and the Mitsubishis weren't that reliable, but couldn't find it again.

Does anyone have any information concerning this engine and it's suitability for Repower?

Thanks,

Smitty

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 01:59 PM

It looks like there are downloadable service manuals out there for the 223D. I didn't do a download but heres a free one. Not sure what you'll get - no guarantees. http://www.slideshar...wnload-16067092

I'm sending you a PM about some more info. 

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 06:01 PM

I don't recall running across any reason over the years why I wouldn't buy and install a Mitsubishi engine. Having parts support down the line would be a consideration but the people I know who run Mitsubishi tractors seem to like them.

#4 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 06:01 PM

It looks like there are downloadable service manuals out there for the 223D. I didn't do a download but heres a free one. Not sure what you'll get - no guarantees. http://www.slideshar...wnload-16067092

Thanks, Brian

I've been to that site, but can't download the manual for some reason.  The link that says "Download" is actually for Adobe pdf conversion software... always makes me a little nervous as I'm worried about Trojans or data loggers...

Regards,

Smitty

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 06:02 PM

I don't recall running across any reason over the years why I wouldn't buy and install a Mitsubishi engine. Having parts support down the line would be a consideration but the people I know who run Mitsubishi tractors seem to like them.

Thanks, Chris... considering your background with repowering diesels, that's a great endorsement...

Smitty

• Cvans said thank you

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 11:31 PM

Thanks, Chris... considering your background with repowering diesels, that's a great endorsement...

Thanks for the kind words. Like you I'm still learning and you came up with a good one in that Acme engine.   Kind of hoping you can find some more like that.  :D

#7 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 12:06 AM

http://www.ksl.com/i...earch=&ad_cid=5

this would work its a little big for a gt 

#8 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 10:09 PM

http://www.ksl.com/i...earch=&ad_cid=5

this would work its a little big for a gt 

LOL!!  Yeah, I've seen that... some member of the forum shoehorned a 4 cylinder engine out of a Nissan, I think it was, into a GT--had to stretch the frame a bit, though!!!

Smitty

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 10:32 PM

Just a little note to all--

I tend to be cautious when trying to download a manual from a source other than the mfr, or from a reputable forum like GTT. I tried several times to download the Toro 223D manual from the Slide Share link Brian provided above. 

The Slide Share forum is owned by Linked-in, and has good reviews.  However, even after signing up for their free version, you still can't download anything--though they'll let you upload your manuals, etc.  To download, you apparently have to sign up for a paid version, which starts at $19 a month.

Most of the other download services, even the free ones, have a catch... in some cases you have to pay to get the "full" version, on others, you end up getting spammed...

FWIW

Smitty

#10 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 11:08 PM

yah the motor was me its a 4 cylinder out of a chevy luv in a jd 318 i had to extend the frame 14 inches to get it to fit

#11 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 11:07 AM

yah the motor was me its a 4 cylinder out of a chevy luv in a jd 318 i had to extend the frame 14 inches to get it to fit

So, what was your turn radius after installing it-- 1/2 a block?????  (Just kidding)... That would have plenty of power, if only it was a three cylinder....

A guy had a JD F910 for sale in Tooele for $900.  It is a rear wheel steer mower, normally came with an Onan B48 engine.  Seller said it had a 3 cylinder Yanmar... I got excited because the F925 and F935 has Yanmar 3TN diesels--same engine as the JD430... Unfortunately, this is a Yanmar gas engine... same block as the 3TN, and probably all kinds of longevity, but won't burn diesel...

Smitty

#12 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 11:11 AM

http://www.ksl.com/i...earch=&ad_cid=7

if it was closer and i had the money i would get this just for the engine they are very reliable and strong running, we have a 4cyl version we use to pump water with and it runs like a champ 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitsubishi k3d, toro 325d, toro 223d, mitsubishi l3