#16 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,052 Thanks
  • 2,166 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 02:51 PM

'Float' is the ticket...make sure that tiller isn't being forced into the ground, or being held in position.  It should find it's own depth, and you may have to manipulate the latch on the lift handle to allow it.  It should to a bang-up job.

#17 timflury OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7707
  • 6 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 09:31 PM

The trick on these "floating" tillers is ground speed and engine rpm.

In the manual, they say you can run in second gear about mid throttle if you want to scratch ou sod for planting new grass.

Till in first gear at high throttle on the first pass. reduce to 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to allow the tiller to penetrate more. Harder soil is also a factor obviously requiring more passes.

Also, taking your first pass "North/south" then the next pass "East west" is recommended because of the center drive leaving a "hump".

• Clint said thank you

#18 twostep ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,849 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 10:01 PM

I had a similar problem with my Allis HB112.  One of the tines assemblies was put together backwards.  Mine also has the Power Lift Group on it so the tiller needs to be run in the "float" position.

I've read also that if a tine or two are on backwards they will do this. I guess it tried to push rather than cut.

Correction, I asked my brother and it's not a Toro mower it"s made by Jacobsen. That's why you couldn't find it when you searched for Toro mowers.

Looks like a jacobsen Greens King.

https://www.google.c...sen greens king

• Clint and suburban 12 have said thanks