17 replies to this topic

#1 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 03:14 AM

Hi guys,

I picked up an Allis Chalmers 610 with a tiller attacment a month or so ago.

IMAG0408.jpg

It ran, but not well when I bought it. It would run, but would die if put under a load. I checked the fuel and it was cloudy gas with water and rust mixed in it. I used a different tank since the old one was rusted pretty bad. I drained the carb, ran some gas through it and tried again. Runs like a champ now. I tried it out the other day. When I dropped the tiller to the ground, the wheels on the mower tried to hold me back, but the tiller pushed me along. If I left the mower in neutral, and slowly and manually lowered the tiller to the ground it would break the soil. I did this small plot today in about an hour. I can buy veggies at the store for the amount of fuel I went through...just kidding. It was very slow progress though. I was hoping it would work better than it did. I had to run back and forth about 50 times. Not exaggerating. The ground was too wet and was pretty clumpy so I gave up for the day. Here is the other days progress.

IMAG0409.jpg

I tried it again yesterday and it still pushed me around, but the ground was a lot drier. I left it in neutral and lowered the tiller slowly again. It turned the ground to powder once it broke the topsoil. I just can't imagine having to till the ground that slow. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I didn't take any pictures of today's progress. I'll try to add a picture later.

I'm happy with the end result, but it was a slow ride. I want to know if there is a way to hold back the tractor and let the tiller dig.

By the way, I have never made a garden before so don't fault me if this is normal and I just don't know it.

Thanks for any help.

While I have you, does anyone know what type of mower this is?

IMAG0347.jpg IMAG0348.jpg IMAG0349.jpg IMAG0350.jpg IMAG0351.jpg

It has a 14 horse Kohler on it. Looks to be a greens mower for a golf course or something. Just another project. I don't have the decks. I was going to use the hydrualic pump to run stuff. All kinds of ideas. Log splitter, generator, pressure washer. I just need a few things to get the project going.

• gopher, skunkhome and larryd have said thanks

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 03:28 AM

Your tiller wasn't really designed to break sod. Its more for busting up root clumps and leveling the ground out. You really need to plow up the area first, need after its dries out some, hit it with the tiller unit. It also helps if you hit plowed ground on an angle, instead of straight in line with the way it was plowed. Its also pretty normal to have to till in the lowest gear your tractor has. If you had a bigger unit, something like the higher end Deere's use or a small compact tractor, you could then till sod up with out plowing it first.

You could probably buy your veggies cheaper than growing them, but do you really want to eat fresh produce that you don't know where it came from?   or whats really on it?

• Clint and larryd have said thanks

#3 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 03:51 AM

Hi guys,

I picked up an Allis Chalmers 610 with a tiller attacment a month or so ago.

attachicon.gifIMAG0408.jpg

It ran, but not well when I bought it. It would run, but would die if put under a load. I checked the fuel and it was cloudy gas with water and rust mixed in it. I used a different tank since the old one was rusted pretty bad. I drained the carb, ran some gas through it and tried again. Runs like a champ now. I tried it out the other day. When I dropped the tiller to the ground, the wheels on the mower tried to hold me back, but the tiller pushed me along. If I left the mower in neutral, and slowly and manually lowered the tiller to the ground it would break the soil. I did this small plot today in about an hour. I can buy veggies at the store for the amount of fuel I went through...just kidding. It was very slow progress though. I was hoping it would work better than it did. I had to run back and forth about 50 times. Not exaggerating. The ground was too wet and was pretty clumpy so I gave up for the day. Here is the other days progress.

attachicon.gifIMAG0409.jpg

I tried it again yesterday and it still pushed me around, but the ground was a lot drier. I left it in neutral and lowered the tiller slowly again. It turned the ground to powder once it broke the topsoil. I just can't imagine having to till the ground that slow. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I didn't take any pictures of today's progress. I'll try to add a picture later.

I'm happy with the end result, but it was a slow ride. I want to know if there is a way to hold back the tractor and let the tiller dig.

By the way, I have never made a garden before so don't fault me if this is normal and I just don't know it.

Thanks for any help.

While I have you, does anyone know what type of mower this is?

attachicon.gifIMAG0347.jpgattachicon.gifIMAG0348.jpgattachicon.gifIMAG0349.jpgattachicon.gifIMAG0350.jpgattachicon.gifIMAG0351.jpg

It has a 14 horse Kohler on it. Looks to be a greens mower for a golf course or something. Just another project. I don't have the decks. I was going to use the hydrualic pump to run stuff. All kinds of ideas. Log splitter, generator, pressure washer. I just need a few things to get the project going.

That looks like a Toro greens keeper,,, Do u have the reel mowers that go with it, should be 3 of them,,

• Clint and larryd have said thanks

#4 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 05:30 AM

Your tiller wasn't really designed to break sod. Its more for busting up root clumps and leveling the ground out. You really need to plow up the area first, need after its dries out some, hit it with the tiller unit. It also helps if you hit plowed ground on an angle, instead of straight in line with the way it was plowed. Its also pretty normal to have to till in the lowest gear your tractor has. If you had a bigger unit, something like the higher end Deere's use or a small compact tractor, you could then till sod up with out plowing it first.

You could probably buy your veggies cheaper than growing them, but do you really want to eat fresh produce that you don't know where it came from?   or whats really on it?

Thanks, I've got a couple David Bradley's, but none of them came with engines. I have a few implements for them. I have a plow, roller/spring harrow combo and sickle bar. I'll have to get an engine for it or mount the plow behind another tractor. They were mostly disassembled when I got them. That may help with the tilling time. Thanks again!

• larryd said thank you

#5 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 05:33 AM

That looks like a Toro greens keeper,,, Do u have the reel mowers that go with it, should be 3 of them,,

It didn't come with anything but what you see. Reel mowers make sense, since they would require less power to turn them. It has the three hydraulic drives on it yet. I didn't know what it was to research it. I bought it for $50.00. I couldn't pass it up. Thaks again!

• larryd said thank you

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 05:48 AM

I used to till my garden until the soil was into powder too but then, at least mine , when it does rain it gets like concret ! Now I will till only enough to loosen the soil one or tow passes . Even though the garden has been in the same spot I will plow it first and maybe for a second crop I will just till that area under after I pull the plants out . That's what I did a week ago when I pulled the peas out . I,ll be planting beans there soon for a late crop.
  • larryd said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,304 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 06:52 AM

My Allis is smaller, but similar.
I run the engine pretty open (for tiller speed) and 1st gear, low variable speed.

As for getting jerked around or pushed...
I am not suggesting you do this as the mfg probably wouldn't approve, but I use chains and probably should use some weight. The danger of chains is that if it comes off, it will go right into the tiller... And that would be dangerous from shrapnel, and bad for the tiller... And loud.

You could opt for the other way and load the tires ? Maybe the weight would be enough.

I used it to till at the neighbors berry patch, they had sprayed and run the disc last fall, but it was pretty much untilled dirt before I got there.
http://gardentractor...rd/#entry302280

In May of 2011, I was asked to do a small food plot by a buddy where he rented. It was part of an old horse pasture next to the fence... Right where they paced.
We were going to plow it first, but kept getting stuck as it had rained and the tall grass was slippy. Ended up using the tiller to break new ground.

2 passes would've been enough, but I did a third to really chew it up
  • larryd said thank you

#8 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 07:23 AM

I had a similar problem with my Allis HB112.  One of the tines assemblies was put together backwards.  Mine also has the Power Lift Group on it so the tiller needs to be run in the "float" position.

DSCN3162.JPG

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, July 20, 2013 - 07:24 AM.

• larryd said thank you

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,304 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 07:35 AM

I had a similar problem with my Allis HB112.  One of the tines assemblies was put together backwards.  Mine also has the Power Lift Group on it so the tiller needs to be run in the "float" position.

attachicon.gifDSCN3162.JPG

Nice tires. Bet they help a lot.
  • New.Canadian.DB.Owner and larryd have said thanks

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 10:35 AM

Clint I am not sure where Waterloo is but oif your soil is like mine i am not shocked or would i fault your Allis.
Itilled last weekend with my 1500 Ford, it weighs 2000 lbs and the ground was hard enough it was rockin from tiller push.
Take lighter bites, only till an inch or so deep and if needed take less swaths. I have a 48 inch gear drive tiller on the Ford and had the most sucess taking 2ft cuts so I was double tilling the tilled area. That 610 should be a good tilling machine, just learn its limits and work it to your advantage.
  • MH81, motobreeder, Clint and 1 other said thanks

#11 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 02:47 AM

I looked at some Toro mowers, but still cannot find anything that looks like the one I have. The Toro's are all red. This thing, although similar looking, is orange. It doesn't look like it been repainted, but who knows! I am looking for a filter for the hydraulic system and a few other things. I tore the carb apart yesterday. It was a mess! I ordered a repair kit and now waiting for it to show up. It did start, but would not run. There is a linkage from the governor arm to the throttle on the carb that is missing something. It won't stay connected. Any help identifying the make and model would be greatly appreciated. Is there an "Open forum" where I could post a picture of it with a "What the heck is this" request rather than it hiding in this thread?

Thanks!

#12 sammiefish OFFLINE  

sammiefish

• Member No: 7456
  • 8 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 08:13 AM

Based on the shape of the frame and the color I would bet you a dollar its a Jacobsen

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,304 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 09:33 AM

Is there an "Open forum" where I could post a picture of it with a "What the heck is this" request

Sure, just post it in the general "Garden Tractor Forum" area.
http://gardentractor...-tractor-forum/

#14 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:09 PM

It is supposed to be orange, we have two at the golf course I work at. What do you plan on doing with it? The golf course I work at might be interested in buying the reel motors.

Edited by suburban 12, August 09, 2013 - 07:11 PM.

#15 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Correction, I asked my brother and it's not a Toro mower it"s made by Jacobsen. That's why you couldn't find it when you searched for Toro mowers.