• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 12:29 AM

Gentlemen, i'm looking for one or a couple of good fuel tanks like the one pictured here. You find them mostly on Briggs model 6 or 8 engines.  They come in a couple of sizes, but I would prefer the smaller sized one.

tank 001.JPG

#2 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 11:56 AM

I have several NOS small Briggs tanks.  Most are in the box and if you have a part or parts numbers, I may have one of the one you need.  I also have some complete engines and may have a used one.  I am trying to clear out some stuff and will price it good if in fact I have it.

Thanks

Tim

#3 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 11:10 PM

not really sure how I would get a part number for it. this tank would need to fit a briggs engine of the 50's. I'm defiantly interested if you have the correct type tank. 

#4 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 10:12 AM

I know I have several small ones from around that era.  I will get them out and take pictures and try to post them by early tomorrow.

#5 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 07:40 PM

Jeff & Tim:

The B&S part number for the gas tank most commonly used on the model 6 engine was 292944 Tank Assembly, which included the 69221 gas cap.

(The # 292944 tank assy was also used on model 8 engines with 48 different TYPE numbers .)

The B&S part number for the gas tank most commonly used on the model 8 engine was 292945 Tank Assembly, which included the 69221 gas cap.

(The #292945 tank assy was also used on model 6 engines with 29 different TYPE numbers.)

There were 9 alternate tanks used on various TYPE # model 6's, and 2 alternate tanks used on some TYPE # model 8's.

Tank capacities are not given in the parts list that I have, so I do not know what the differences are for the various part numbers.

Many of the alternate tank numbers have a note that mounting parts for those particular tanks are supplied by the equipment manufacturer.

• Bolens 1000, MH81 and Lauber1 have said thanks

#6 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 12:10 AM

Thanks Bruce!! :dancingbanana:   Now that we have some numbers to work with I should be able to find something. Seems most of these tank cracked acrossed the top, because guys wouldn't put the bottom mount back on. This made the tank swing back and forth on the top bolts. I looked at all my books and the only thing I could find was that there's a big one and a small one. I can use the big ones big then I have to make up a mount bracket for the under side, or get lucky and find an engine with the tall top bracket.  Its simply  amazing how many different setups there are for a small briggs engine.

#7 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 03:44 PM

I located and pulled out some I found.  I may have not thought, most of them I see that I have are for the Vacujet style carb I think.  I have more stuff and I will try to find it.  Anyhow, I shot a few pics of the ones I found.  I also have ten or so NOS shrouds.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3184cub 017 (1024x768).jpg
  • 3184cub 018 (1024x768).jpg
  • 3184cub 016 (1024x768).jpg
  • 3184cub 020 (1024x768).jpg

#8 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 12:28 AM

well Tim you have a vast collection of tanks there, unfortunately they are all for suction carbs. It good that you posted them here, maybe someone else will need a good tank for the many different models of engine there are out there.

The shrouds look good also. Don't think I've seen one with a full cover on the rope hole before. I might be wanting one or two of those. Keep looking for the other tanks, as I am interested in getting a NOS one.  

#9 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 06:51 AM

Don't think I've seen one with a full cover on the rope hole before.

Jeff: 

That shroud was used with the "wind-up" starter (aka the "impulse" starter) which B&S offered.  .....A knob-actuated plunger would engage the fins on the flywheel to hold the flywheel in position.  .....A folding handle on the outside of that shroud would wind a big flat spring under the shroud.   .....Once the spring was wound tight, turning the knob would release the plunger holding the flywheel, and the engine would crank.

This wind-up starter was used on both horizontal & vertical c/s engines.

• MH81 and Lauber1 have said thanks

#10 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 12:22 PM

Well that makes sense, the only hand crank one I have here is on a Tec engine.

#11 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,155 Thanks
  • 1,156 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 01:29 PM

I have got one,almost like yours but only has one hole at the bottom of tank.I can not find my memory card that fits in my camera at the moment,just got done downloading some vacation pictures and it is lost for the moment,everything else looks the same.Pictures to follow.Here are the pictures

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

Edited by new restorer, July 26, 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#12 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 12:13 AM

sending you a pm.