• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 donmd OFFLINE  

donmd
  • Member No: 40900
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 07:12 PM

Thank you very much for this service to all the members. I inherited a L130 which had not been run for about 7 years. It has 170 hours The engine is a Kohler,two cylinder V, 23 hp. I changed plugs, air filter, fuel filter,fuel pump. If I spray a little starter fuel into the carb , it runs  for a few seconds. I blew out the lines going to the gas tank,fuel pump. When I crank the engine, only a small amount of gas is seen in the fuel filter. I have not taken the carb off or done anything to it . It will not sart

I believe this is a fuel delivery problem.  Is this a vacum problem to the fuel pump? Is it an issue with the carb ?    Help......I a little smart, but clearly not smart enough. Thank you

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 07:52 PM

The JD & big engine guys will be here shortly. In the meantime, if you don't have fuel in the filter, I'd be looking at a plugged/blocked line between the filter and the gas tank, or a blockage in the tank itself.  You could take the filter outlet line off & see if you have a good flow rate.  7 year of not running will do incredible (aka not good) things to a fuel system.

P.S. Welcome to the site!

• donmd said thank you

#3 Justin2655 OFFLINE  

Justin2655
  • Member No: 11487
  • 204 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 08:13 PM

i also have a john deere L130 as well, i also had a simalir problem to what your describing. check the fuel cap, theres a little hole and it could be clogged with dirt and having it pressurize the tank with the vent being clogged, i would also try priming the fuel pump, that always has seem too help me on any motor that has sat for a long period of time

• donmd said thank you

#4 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 08:21 PM

Had the same problem sit on it and crank it over cause theres a switch on the seat that allows fuel into it cause theres a shut off switch on the bottom of carb try that see if it works!! it should simple things

Edited by superspeedex, July 19, 2013 - 08:21 PM.

• donmd said thank you

#5 donmd OFFLINE  

donmd
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 10:25 PM

Thank you for the advice.....I will give each a try . The clogged line  from the tank  was an issue....I blew it out, and it took some pressure to open it up....the problem remains that there must me alot of  gunk in the tank. I tried to siphon out the old  gas . Does anyone have an idea to try to dissolve the gunk without taking the tank out and flushing it.

Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it tremendously !

#6 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 07:27 AM

I'd remove it and toss in a handful of hardware.  A couple minutes of shaking will loosen the gunk so it will flush out.

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, July 20, 2013 - 07:28 AM.

• Trav1s and superspeedex have said thanks

#7 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 10:06 AM

Maby try some seafoam injector cleaner and carb cleaner  pull the line clear to the carb and see if your getting gas and if you are then you put it on sit on it and i should run if not then id pull the tank outta it

#8 donmd OFFLINE  

donmd
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 06:10 PM

Thank you for the information.. Got the problem fixed.....I disconnected the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb, and tried to start it......plenty of fuel was pumped out......ergo: fuel is getting to the carb, but not getting to the engine.  Unscrewed what looks like a solenoid at bottom of the card( where the float is)..and it was   gummed solid...no movement..  Carb cleaner  freed it  up nicely...Took the carb off ( not fun)...take plenty of photos with your camera, and place a towel beneath the carb so that if  you drop a small part, it won't be swallowed in the space above the muffler.  With the JD carb cleaner  cleaned out the sediment bowl, freed up the float, blew out the carb openings etc......reassembled  it...and  it  fired up immediately.... got on my knees and prayed to the JD god in thanks !

• superspeedex said thank you

#9 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 11:27 PM

Good to hear!