• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 03:49 PM

I spent the last 6 hours or so cleaning in my garage. It is very uncommon for me to have things laying around and not in a spot of their own, so it normally takes only a few minutes for me to pick up. But today, I decided to do something I have been wanting to do for a while, relocate my steel! For as long as I can remember, the steel has always been under the work-bench on the left half. Until the last 12- 18 months, there was never much fabrication going on in my garage, so the steel pile stayed pretty small. With my growing interest in welding and fabrication, the pile has gotten pretty big! So, I decided to go through it and separate stuff I wanted to keep, from stuff I wanted to scrap. Once it was separated, I ran the scrap to the junk yard to get it out of the way, I ended up getting $18 and a more manageable steel pile in return. I also did not want the steel in the garage anymore, as I could use the space for other things; I decided to put it all into an extra truck bed box outside. Once I had some space in the garage, I rearranged things and now the space is already taken up! Even though I had no problem finding things to put there, the garage is now much more organized.

While I was cleaning, I started to wonder how many of you guys keep your garage/ shop clean and organized? I have been told many times I am one of the strictest people when it comes to keeping my work area clean and organized.

• hamman, sacsr, bgkid2966 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 04:04 PM

I try to keep things clean but it seems like a never ending battle. When I'm starting a project all the tools that are "Put away" generally end up in a big pile when all is said and done.... When a project is finished I put things in a somewhat organized fashion but as soon as another project comes in things get messy again so most of the time the shop is in what I call organized chaos :D

• wilberj, KennyP, johndeereelfman and 2 others have said thanks

#3 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 04:05 PM

You forgot the pictures, lol

#4 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,194 Thanks
  • 5,214 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 04:33 PM

I try to keep things clean but it seems like a never ending battle. When I'm starting a project all the tools that are "Put away" generally end up in a big pile when all is said and done.... When a project is finished I put things in a somewhat organized fashion but as soon as another project comes in things get messy again so most of the time the shop is in what I call organized chaos :D

Yep!

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 04:42 PM

Certainly not clean enough. Here a re few pictures of it.  " Yah right"......... I'm not posting pics until it is very clean and better organized........you probably shouldn't hold your breath while waiting for me to  post those pictures. Roger.  :bigrofl:

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 04:45 PM

oops!

Edited by hamman, July 19, 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,616 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 04:56 PM

Not very!

#8 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,638 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 05:40 PM

Not very!

:ditto:  Rick

#9 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 05:44 PM

not very clean although I wish it was!!......and still need more space so I don't have to crawl over stuff to get things.  Framed in the lean-to so I could store more GT's......now on to the carport!

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 05:52 PM

How clean is my shop??? :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl:

Hoarders called... They said even they have standards...
  • Mr Electrak, KennyP, Fabman and 5 others have said thanks

#11 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 06:21 PM

Six hours in my shop... That would get me to the point were i could open a window.. maybe not need a stool or chair to reach over the pile to reach the window...

• MH81, KennyP, bgkid2966 and 1 other said thanks

#12 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 19, 2013 - 06:27 PM

CLEAN, is a relative term.

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 06:56 PM

I don't even care, as I'm not gonna be in there in this heat unless I absolutely HAVE to!  Mine is "relatively" clean.....relative to how it can get!  :smilewink:

• KennyP said thank you

#14 NJKen ONLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 07:12 PM

I USED to be captain anal when it came to my garage/shop. That's a thing of the past now. I've got way to much stuff and I've become a tad bit lazy in my old age.

I'm determined to get it back in order by years end. Once it cools down. Too Dam hot lately and it cost too much $$ to run the AC out there. I'll just wait till fall.

• Team_Green said thank you

#15 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 07:13 PM

Most of the time my shop is pretty   clean. Between projects I hang all the tools back where they belong and sweep up. BUT,  we had two floods in 3 days here July 5th  I had 7 engines go under water 6 are fixed the last one I haven't gotten to because I've been replacing the  driveway and other flood related problems.  I'm lucky I have 2 grandsons who are really helpful. Yesterday  we finished up the sewer system today the driveway.  I took care of the steel storage problem by throwing it in the back of my truck and sending it all home with my son.  There is a path from the door of the garage to the back door.  I'll try to get a picture of the garage tomorrow.  It didn't help that LTD and I went to an auction and brought back  what the auctioneer called a wheelhorse and a Ford because it was blue. They were both Sears Suburbans and one of them even runs. Haven't looked real close but it looks like an overhead valve engine in it.