• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 - 05:36 PM

Be extra SURE that any ram chip you buy is compatible with YOUR laptop. Some will have the same specs as yours calls for, but will not operate with all brands of laptops. I buy all my RAM off ebay & save a lot of cash. A good seller will list all computers that work with the RAM they are selling.

#17 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 - 05:50 PM

Another good place to go to find ram that will work with your laptop is RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com , even if you don't buy from there you can look up your laptop make and model and it will list the ram they have that will work. You can use those specs to find ram at another place if you like. I have used crucial ram in the past and have had good luck with it.

#18 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 - 07:43 PM

Another good place to go to find ram that will work with your laptop is RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com , even if you don't buy from there you can look up your laptop make and model and it will list the ram they have that will work. You can use those specs to find ram at another place if you like. I have used crucial ram in the past and have had good luck with it.

:yeah_that:I also recommend that, then you will get the right part # for the ram that will work. There is more to ram than just size there is latency, timing, bla bla bla. The Crucial site will walk you through it and you won't have to worry. :thumbs:
  • daytime dave said thank you

#19 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 08:56 PM

I want to thank you all. I just received my ram in the mail and apparently installed it properly. I followed every post here carefully and got the specs on the ram I needed for my unit. I shopped around and found the best deal. It was at computer memory outlet.

I installed it less than 1/2 hour ago and after a few confusing set ups, I appear to have a much faster laptop.

George and Ducky, a special thanks for adding this section to the forum. I am a member of several forums, but here I felt comfortable asking the most basic of questions and not feeling I had asked a "dumb" question.

The old ram card was 256mb. I replaced it with two 512mb cards. Talk about a difference!

I really like this forum and I want to thank all of you who helped for this great education.

Daniel, I did it myself. It is a great feeling to do it yourself, as you so capably show in the forum all the time.

Thanks to all. :thumbs:

#20 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 06, 2010 - 09:00 PM

I want to thank you all. I just received my ram in the mail and apparently installed it properly. I followed every post here carefully and got the specs on the ram I needed for my unit. I shopped around and found the best deal. It was at computer memory outlet.

I installed it less than 1/2 hour ago and after a few confusing set ups, I appear to have a much faster laptop.

George and Ducky, a special thanks for adding this section to the forum. I am a member of several forums, but here I felt comfortable asking the most basic of questions and not feeling I had asked a "dumb" question.

The old ram card was 256mb. I replaced it with two 512mb cards. Talk about a difference!

I really like this forum and I want to thank all of you who helped for this great education.

Daniel, I did it myself. It is a great feeling to do it yourself, as you so capably show in the forum all the time.

That is awesome to hear Dave. Computers are easier to work on then most would tend to believe. That is what this place is all about is being comfortable and not worrying whether something is wrong to post. The is no such thing as a dumb question, the only dumb questions are the ones that are not asked.

I can't believe the number of computers that are still around with only 256MB of ram. That was the minimum requirement for windows 98. WindowsXP and newer operating systems should have 512MB minimum but even then it is still going to be slow. You did good by putting 1GB in. Makes for a wonderful difference.

#21 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted December 09, 2010 - 03:16 PM

Great to hear.

Regards............Ducky

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 09, 2010 - 06:06 PM

Yep, doing things yourself pays dividends far beyond the $'s saved! I have a new hard drive coming, supposed to be here tomorrow. Then my PC should be in top shape, once I give it a good cleaning too.

#23 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted December 09, 2010 - 10:02 PM

I tried to look up how much ram I have, as suggested. Came up empty handed.
The computer works slow all around, not just on the internet. It gets stuck alot.

Not to sound ignorant, but without my son around, I don't know much about computers. Where does more ram go? Can I install it myself, or is it something I'll have to let someone else do? How many ram chips should I get.

I appreciate this help.

Dave
It seems that you have been left hanging.
I will try to help.
Things I would need to know is the operating system i.e. Windows xx, Mac xx, Linux xx.
Computer Model # and approximate age.
If you could download Belarc Advisor and post the results of that it would help immensity.
I guess what I am saying is the more info you can give me about you system the better we are able to diagnose your problem.
If you feel you are not comfortable with any of this,as a last resort, we could do a remote hook up to your computer and run this myself from my desktop.
I do this at work quite often to assist our service technicians on the road.
Not knowing me from adam it has to be your designation if you would even want to let me do something like that.
I am going to start a new thread explaining the information that people could post when they ask a question that would really help everybody here answer the questions.

#24 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 06:13 AM

Dave
It seems that you have been left hanging.
I will try to help.
Things I would need to know is the operating system i.e. Windows xx, Mac xx, Linux xx.
Computer Model # and approximate age.
If you could download Belarc Advisor and post the results of that it would help immensity.
I guess what I am saying is the more info you can give me about you system the better we are able to diagnose your problem.
If you feel you are not comfortable with any of this,as a last resort, we could do a remote hook up to your computer and run this myself from my desktop.
I do this at work quite often to assist our service technicians on the road.
Not knowing me from adam it has to be your designation if you would even want to let me do something like that.
I am going to start a new thread explaining the information that people could post when they ask a question that would really help everybody here answer the questions.

Ducky,
He already got the ram and got it installed :D

#25 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 06:48 AM

I do appreciate this added information. It is like I have a new computer for less than forty dollars that I paid for the new ram. Would running this program or a remote session make it better? It is really incomparably fast now.

#26 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 11:30 AM

Belarc is just an informational tool, it won't fix anything, but it'll let a tech know what's going on under the hood. The remote session is like dropping the car off at the shop and handing them the keys. If something is wrong it's a lot easier to fix that way.