daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 14, 2010 - 08:41 PM

I have an HP laptop that is probably close to ten years old. I had to dig it out for normal use after my PC tower died.

I have lightning fast FIOS and I have plugged the ethernet directly into the laptop. The problem is that most times, the laptop loads pages like dial up. VERY slow loading.

Is there something I can do the speed up the laptop? I don't plan on replacing the tower till after the holidays.

Thanks in advance.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 14, 2010 - 08:46 PM

Do you know how much ram is in the laptop? You can right click on your my computer icon and click properties and it should say somewhere in that box how much ram. I am guessing that is your problem. Do you have an antivirus program installed? Also probably wouldn't hurt to see if you can take the bottom off and blow any dust out.
  • daytime dave said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,643 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 14, 2010 - 08:49 PM

Almost bound to be low RAM. On my older laptops, I had to buy more RAM chips.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 14, 2010 - 10:12 PM

Is it slow only on internet? Are the other programs running OK? If this is the case, don't forget to scan for Malware/trojans/spybots etc... they eat your connection for breakfast. I've recently switched to "SUPERantispyware Free" available thru Download.com

It's pretty fast & has found more stuff than anything else I've tried. The only downfall, don't run it & surf @ the same time... seems to mess up reloading pages while scanning (at least in chrome).

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 04:27 PM

I tried to look up how much ram I have, as suggested. Came up empty handed.
The computer works slow all around, not just on the internet. It gets stuck alot.

Not to sound ignorant, but without my son around, I don't know much about computers. Where does more ram go? Can I install it myself, or is it something I'll have to let someone else do? How many ram chips should I get.

I appreciate this help.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 04:59 PM

It may be a fairly slow processor as well. It is 10 years old. That doesn't mean that it's a "bad" machine, but we've come an awful long way in 10 years. RAM is also a likely candidate. I have never been inside of a laptop, so I don't really know how easy / hard it would be to install the RAM yourself. I'm sure someone will come along soon with better answers for you.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 05:26 PM

My computer had gotten really slow a couple weeks ago and I thought maybe I had picked up a virus,but as it turned out,it was heat causing the problem.The fan had gotten to running a lot and at a fairly high rate of speed.I took the back covers off and use my compressor with the regulator set at about 5 to 6 or so pounds,to blow it out.I was quite amazed that it was full of a white dust,I don't know what it was but after doing that the problem went away.Is it possible that heat is your problem too ?

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,643 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 05:41 PM

Most laptops have a cover on the back, sometimes the front to allow easy access to install more ram. But, unless familiar, it is better to pay someone a couple bucks to slip it in for you. I've taken a couple laptops apart completely, but I do not recommend to most folk. But like I said, ram is pretty easy.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 05:52 PM

If you want to post the make and model of the laptop I can look up to see how much memory it would support. But we gotta get you to see how much memory is already in it first.

When you log in to the computer, there might be a my computer icon on the desktop or there will be one when you click on the start button on the bottom left of the screen. Once you see the my computer icon and right click on it and click properties this will bring up the system properties and it should say the processor type and speed and also how much memory is in it.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 06:09 PM

Yeah, I agree, Make & model. Also OS / version would help. My last win98 computer had problems telling me what it had, I just used Belarc Advisor to tell me.

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 16, 2010 - 07:49 PM

It took a while, but I finally found almost everything suggested.
Make - HP model - ze4300 processor - AMD AthlonXP2000+ Ram - 192mb

I will look at Ram as soon as I get to the store, perhaps this weekend. I wish I could do it myself, but I would not know where to put it. Does it just get put in like a card or memory stick?

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 16, 2010 - 08:00 PM

Yeah, RAM is needed. On a laptop, I don't know where it'd go. BTW; slang for RAM is "Memory". That's what the "M" stands for.

I'd also look at your startup & see what is starting/running automatically. There's a lot of things on your average HP that is not needed & just slows you down. Some of the other guys would be better to tell you what specifically to turn off, but I usually wing it with google searches to see if a process/program is needed.

#13 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted November 16, 2010 - 09:46 PM

It took a while, but I finally found almost everything suggested.
Make - HP model - ze4300 processor - AMD AthlonXP2000+ Ram - 192mb

I will look at Ram as soon as I get to the store, perhaps this weekend. I wish I could do it myself, but I would not know where to put it. Does it just get put in like a card or memory stick?

WOW that is a good old horse there. Bought mine used back in 2000 and now it resides on my "Jotto Desk" in my pickup.

GPS. never been lost since.

#14 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 - 04:52 PM

I first want to thank all of you for helping.
I was able to look up my manual on line. I then took the ram out of this laptop and successfully put it back in. Since you are reading this, I think I put it back correctly. The piece I took out said 256 mb. It says in the manual I can put in as much as 1 gig. Two 512's should do. I will look at the local store this weekend.
Is that all I do is put in the new chips? The manual said if it asked for input on start up, to follow the set up.
Is that all there is to it?

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 - 05:24 PM

I first want to thank all of you for helping.
I was able to look up my manual on line. I then took the ram out of this laptop and successfully put it back in. Since you are reading this, I think I put it back correctly. The piece I took out said 256 mb. It says in the manual I can put in as much as 1 gig. Two 512's should do. I will look at the local store this weekend.
Is that all I do is put in the new chips? The manual said if it asked for input on start up, to follow the set up.
Is that all there is to it?

That is about all there is to it. Before you buy memory locally I would check at Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! and maybe some other online retailers first. Do you happen to have the specs on the ram from the manual?