Busted My Gilson

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

• Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 02:55 PM

I finally made some time to work on the Gilson I bought recently. It runs great now. One blade was stuck completely and the other was very tight , so I intended to replace the bearings.

Here's what I did. I'm afraid a replacement will be hard to find. I've not found another model 52051A Gilson anywhere , or any other mower with a similar deck.

Here's a shot of the deck.gilsondeck_zps0938dcd5.jpeg

Notice, please, the six holes in the deck. Were these for cleaning the underside by spraying water through the holes you suppose? I know some "new model" mowers have a port for that purpose. I'm not sure that I would clean mine that way. I think I would rather see what was going on under there myself.Does anyone know of another mower , obviously made by Gilson, with the same deck ?gilson52051A_zps5d8996ed.jpeg

Edited by thom, July 19, 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 03:09 PM

Ouch. Sorry to hear and see that. Were you using a puller to try to remove the shaft?

#3 thom OFFLINE  

• Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 03:30 PM

No, I don't have a puller that "fits" . I was driving the shaft out from the end that is down in the picture. The hub, with three threaded holes for the belt pulley to attach to, is welded to the shaft on the end that is up in the picture. I thought about drilling a hole, where a grease fitting SHOULD have been, to get some penetrating oil inside. Too late now , huh? The cast flange was resting on a concrete block. It was a stupid thing to do , I know. Without a replacement the machine will give up its engine for some other project.I have an older model Ariens rear engine mower that is in good shape except for the Tecumseh engine that I might  use the Briggs in. I don't know if the crankshaft size will be right for the Ariens pulley , though. Thanks.

Edited by thom, July 19, 2013 - 03:33 PM.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,667 Thanks
  • 28,318 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 05:40 PM

Do you have a part number on the quill?
If not, you can sometimes find them by dimensions.

#5 drbish ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,139 Thanks
  • 1,143 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 04:57 AM

You might have some luck here