#16 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 01:46 AM

I always run Ethanol-Free but don't like paying .85 cents more per gallon.

ethanol.gif

• twostep, robert_p43 and larryd have said thanks

#17 Ron White OFFLINE  

Ron White

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 267
  • 123 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 06:37 AM

I haven't had any issues with the ethanol fuel but, I can say that every two weeks I am in the area of a Reservation that sells non-ethanol fuel so I fill my truck up while I am there. I have a 2010 Silverado 4x4 with a 5.3L engine, I normally average 17.7 MPG with the ethanol fuel and the MPG goes up to average 18.4 with the non-ethanol. 

Being an Indian Reservation, the gas is at least .20 per gallon less than any fuel in my area !!

Edited by Ron White, July 22, 2013 - 06:37 AM.

• MH81, Cvans and larryd have said thanks

#18 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 08:25 AM

Very correct Harold

larryd

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 02:28 PM

It's nearly impossible to get anything but E10 here in Iowa and maybe I have learned to deal with it. We have had Ehanol in Iowa since the Gas Shortages of the early 70's(Rember only being able to buy 5 gal. at a time?) and it's all I use. I have not seen much difference, with one possible difference. Fuel Mileage in my car is less with Ethanol  but not enough to justify paying more and driving all over to find Ethanol free fuel.

I live in a town of 18,000 with a gas station on every corner. I understand 1 has ethanol free fuel.

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 02:55 PM

Up here some stations label the low and mid grades as up to 10% Ethonol. Others don't label but I don't know if that means 0 Ethanol. I'm not sure if it's a regulatory requirement to label or if it's just for information. I've been buying high test lately and I always treat it with stabilizer. Since I got a diesel tractor the gas powered stuff doesn't get used as much and the gas doesn't turn over quickly. The stabilizer seems to do it's job. 

#21 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 04:20 PM

I've used 10% for years with Seafoam additive with little problems.  But at the advice of my local mower shop & Kawasaki (Mule) dealer I've started using BP "Ultimate", high priced, but the only ethanol free gas available here.  ~~  Lowell

#22 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 03:14 PM

Where I am there are several stations that sell non ethanol but most of it is $4.00+ premium however the nearby indian reservation has all grades of non ethanol for alot cheaper.  I have personally noticed a difference with the non ethanol.

#23 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 05:05 PM

And as far as buying "a gallon at a time" for 2 stroke mixing...  I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you want true "high octane" from one of those multiple pumps, set the grade and pump a gallon or so into something other than your fuel container. 

IF, the guy ahead of you used "regular", that hose is full from the grade selector valve in the pump right down to the nozzle with regular.  AND if you do the math it's a significant amount of fuel into your container before the REAL high test gas reaches the nozzle... 

How much fluid does 12' of regulation fueling hose contain?  Somebody with math skills could probably figger it out, that let's me out!. :D

Assuming a 1" Inner Diameter on the hose it's just under 1/2 gallon.

Here's the formula:  R^2 X 3.1416 = Square inches. Mutliply sq. inches times length in inches to get cubic inches. 

1 gallon = 231 cubic inches.

First, determine the area of the ID of the hose--  Radius^2 (Radius squared) X pi (3.1416) = Area...  ..5 x .5 = .25; .25  x 3.1416 - .785 sq in.

Then multiply times length (in inches)--   .785 X 144 = 113.1 cubic inches. In this case, the area is in inches and

the length in feet (12 feet) so I converted to length to inches (144)

Divide by 231 to get gallons  113.1/231 = .49 gallons.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, July 24, 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#24 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 11:17 PM

Here's the formula:  R^2 X 3.1416 = Square inches. Mutliply sq. inches times length in inches to get cubic inches. 

First, determine the area of the ID of the hose--  Radius^2 (Radius squared) X pi (3.1416) = Area...  ..5 x .5 = .25; .25  x 3.1416 - .785 sq in.

Then multiply times length (in inches)--   .785 X 144 = 113.1 cubic inches. In this case, the area is in inches and

Smitty

RED LIGHT, RED LIGHT!!!!   Oh my God... Ohhhhh myyyyyyy God, Smitty what have you done to me...?  All those formulas, those numbers and conversions of ratios and rebarred 7th minor chords....  All I can see after reading your post is a woman called Alice "The Ax" McDougal who taught the filthiest of high school subjects "Math + Algebra" and me in her "favorite front row dummy seat" beating my bewildered head into the desk...  So, you were one of them smart ass guys sitting there along with the ugly girls that could cypher that rythmatick eh?  I wouldn't even know how to find that answer inside a calculator with the "ON" button already pressed for me...!   Actually, the question was merely retorical...!:D

Now I'll have bad dreams all night of "Detention Hall" all for a lousy half gallon of regular gas left in the gas hose! :D

:dancingbanana:  :smilewink:  :D

#25 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 11:26 PM

Smitty

I think I just had a brain spasm....

• twostep said thank you

#26 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 08:23 AM

I wish I could find ethanol free gas around here. Even the high octane is "up to 10%".

Honestly though the only issue I've had with it was in my tiller that I let set out side over winter with fuel in the bowl. Come spring the carb was junk! That was my "baughten" lesson and now I run all of mine regularly and run the whole fuel system dry. For my generator, since I want it to be stored with a full tank I put sta-bil in it, shut the valve and run the bowl dry.

My biggest argument against ethanol is that is costs more to produce and gets me less miles per gallon.

#27 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 08:51 AM

RED LIGHT, RED LIGHT!!!!   Oh my God... Ohhhhh myyyyyyy God, Smitty what have you done to me...?  All those formulas, those numbers and conversions of ratios and rebarred 7th minor chords....  All I can see after reading your post is a woman called Alice "The Ax" McDougal who taught the filthiest of high school subjects "Math + Algebra" and me in her "favorite front row dummy seat" beating my bewildered head into the desk...  So, you were one of them smart ass guys sitting there along with the ugly girls that could cypher that rythmatick eh?  I wouldn't even know how to find that answer inside a calculator with the "ON" button already pressed for me...!   Actually, the question was merely retorical...! :D

Now I'll have bad dreams all night of "Detention Hall" all for a lousy half gallon of regular gas left in the gas hose! :D

:dancingbanana:  :smilewink:  :D

Sorry to bring up repressed memories.... my fee is $175 an hour...  ;o}

Actually, I did okay with geometry and trig since it's basically using a bunch of formulas.  Algebra on the other hand was a nightmare.... my 11th grade algebra teacher was Mrs. Peterson-- a 30 something that was putting her husband through grad school and didn't want to be teaching a bunch of teenagers.  She took an especial dislike to me because I would ask questions that disrupted her pithy,boring, "let's get this over" monologue.  I pulled a C the first term, and transferred to another teacher-- a man who loved the subject and understood kids... My grades pulled up to a B+... but I still don't like Algebra.

College math was taught by a guy with a PhD in physics... but he was cool.  He worked for a time for an explosives manufacturer and was in charge of testing the finished product for shock resistance, etc.... which he did by setting up a sample, then shooting it with a 30-06!!!!

But I digress..

A half gallon of ethanol laced gasoline in a 1 gallon tank is significant, though.... I wanted to see just how much there actually was.

A person I know used to put the gas in a quart jar and add a little water... the water combines with the ethanol and settles on the bottom--it's clear and can easily be distinguished from the gasoline.  This at least tells you whether there is ethanol in your gas.

A person could set up a container with a clear tube to show the level of liquid and a tap a few inches up from the bottom... pour the gas in, add a little water, and drain off above the water level----voila' pure gasoline....

Smitty

#28 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 09:44 AM

A person could set up a container with a clear tube to show the level of liquid and a tap a few inches up from the bottom... pour the gas in, add a little water, and drain off above the water level----voila' pure gasoline....

Smitty

http://gardentractor...-fuel/?hl=+wash

#29 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 25, 2013 - 09:50 AM

Sorry to bring up repressed memories.... my fee is $175 an hour...  ;o}

Actually, I did okay with geometry and trig since it's basically using a bunch of formulas.  Algebra on the other hand was a nightmare.... my 11th grade algebra teacher was Mrs. Peterson-- a 30 something that was putting her husband through grad school and didn't want to be teaching a bunch of teenagers.  She took an especial dislike to me because I would ask questions that disrupted her pithy,boring, "let's get this over" monologue.  I pulled a C the first term, and transferred to another teacher-- a man who loved the subject and understood kids... My grades pulled up to a B+... but I still don't like Algebra.

College math was taught by a guy with a PhD in physics... but he was cool.  He worked for a time for an explosives manufacturer and was in charge of testing the finished product for shock resistance, etc.... which he did by setting up a sample, then shooting it with a 30-06!!!!

But I digress..

A half gallon of ethanol laced gasoline in a 1 gallon tank is significant, though.... I wanted to see just how much there actually was.

A person I know used to put the gas in a quart jar and add a little water... the water combines with the ethanol and settles on the bottom--it's clear and can easily be distinguished from the gasoline.  This at least tells you whether there is ethanol in your gas.

Smitty

That's exactly how they clear the big tanks.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#30 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 03:16 PM

I always run Ethanol-Free but don't like paying .85 cents more per gallon.

attachicon.gifethanol.gif

That's quite the racket, ethanol makes up 10% at most of the fuel, and they're charging you 25% more to leave it out!!

Smitty

• twostep and A.C.T. have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fuel