28 replies to this topic

#1 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 10:21 PM

Well, I haven't been online much in past months. Job's been a hassle but I have been escaping out to the garage some to build some goodies.  Just more of my old tricks.  Building out implements one by one for Franky - P.

Just a bit of history, for anyone who cares or newcomers.

1) Built the custom panzer from putting together an 1107 and a t70b.

http://gardentractor...r-build-thread/

2) Continued build 

http://gardentractor...build-thread-2/

3) Added a 3 speed transmission to give more gear selection and a geared reverse.

http://gardentractor...build-thread-3/

4) Built a rear dump bucket for it from a craftsman front bucket. I love this thing.  I've bucketed 2b stone for a patio base and mulch and dirt and it is fantastic.

http://gardentractor...t-for-franky-p/

5) I adapted a craftsman grass bagger to it.  It plugged just as much as any other non-vacuumed baggers so I then added a 3hp briggs vacuum to the system. I FORGOT TO TAKE PICTURES! While it was on, I'll get pictures in the fall, but the vacuum is mounted off to the side, kind of like the setup in this link, but with a regular 2 bag setup, not a trash can. http://sleequipment....ris-vacuum.html

Now.... latest project.... SNOWBLOWER! You'll see in one of the previous builds that I have a front blade for it.  But leaving it at that is not much fun, is it?   In fact, I believe that now that I'm building a snowblower, that I will take the blade and mount on the back to act as a counterweight and to use if the snow were to ever get too thick for a snowblower.  

I've had chances at getting the snowblower that was made for a panzer 1107 (which the frame/engine setup is based on) but some of the stuff I've put on would get in the way and... I really wanted a 2 stage blower which none of the stock panzer snowblowers are so....  I find an old derelict cub cadet 2 stage snowblower which has been sitting for quite a while.  I wanted a 42 inch and the ad for this one said it was, but turns out it's only a 40.  Oh well, what's 2 inches... (can someone give me a "that's what she said"?).

Anyway, I'm already pretty late in the project, it's about ready for paint. But I did get some pics today to show what's been cut and monkeyed with to get it to fit.  Basically cut off the old front mounts and made new ones.  added pieces at the rear mount to make it attach to the tube frame. used the idler pulleys that are used for the 1107 mower, but turned them to face the snowblower. Used a shorter belt than was used for the cub it came from, but it fits about the same way. 

PICTURE TIME:

You can see everywhere I welded or bent tubing to fit or cut/rewelded by the burnt non-yellow parts.  It'll be just black when it's done... like all my other implements.

IMG-20130718-00002.jpg

IMG-20130718-00001.jpg

IMG-20130718-00003.jpg

IMG-20130718-00004.jpg

IMG-20130718-00005.jpg

So... Tested it out today. It lives!  Think it's going to work well this winter... if we get snow.  Like I said, about ready for paint.

Good to be back and reading and posting. It's just that I haven't been online much, let alone here.  It's not like you guys smell bad or anything.

Edited by cookiemonster, July 19, 2013 - 11:58 AM.

• NUTNDUN, MH81, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 10:23 PM

It's not like you guys smell bad or anything.

I take that back.  Some of you guys that I met did smell a little.  But I'll give y'all a break.  It was a hot day that day.

:poke:

• larryd said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 10:26 PM

Glad to have you back with us. :wave:

Nice fit and fab job, can't wait to see some video of you throwing snow with it !! :thumbs:

• cookiemonster and larryd have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 05:13 AM

Great job on theblower! That Panzer looks fantastic and should do a great job for you this coming winter!

#5 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 06:04 AM

Hey Dean, Welcome back!!! :dancingbanana: I was just wondering about you the other night while looking through my friends list. Glad to know you're doing well and that your stay away wasn't personal.

Blower looks good, and you did some pretty nice fab work. Looks like it will work out really good for you. :thumbs:

P.S. - Sniff, sniff, sniff.....I don't smell all that bad. :(

#6 Sandburr OFFLINE  

Sandburr
  • Member No: 14191
  • 35 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 10:51 AM

Your right bicep is going to be huge lifting that snowblower !

#7 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 12:13 PM

Your right bicep is going to be huge lifting that snowblower !

It's actually easy.  Almost too easy that if you aren't watcing the lift lock mechanism, you may not know it's all the way up and keep pulling on it.  Since it has it's own lift, I could keep it on while the dump bucket is on the back.

Thanks for all the encouraging words!

Probably won't start stripping it down for paint for a couple weeks.  I'm going to putt the augers out and crack that little gearbox to see what's inside.  There's no fill hole or grease fitting, so I'm thinking there is just a couple of pre-lubed gears and there may or may not be seals in it.  Probably not. If I crack it open, then I'll put a grease fitting on it.  You want something that's custom fit to last a long, long time. This unit didn't even have a grease fitting or sealed bearings on the rear drive pulley.  I added a grease fitting to that already.

My only concern with it's operation seems to be one that I've read about other people having with snowblowers... which is how fast do they need to run.  They're made to run at full throttle which is a pain on the ears and not even necessary when you're making good power. But the manufacturers probably don't want the liability of speeding them up so you can run a lower throttle.  I'm going to give it a try as-is... If I'm comfortable with the setup and the way it runs, but want a little more rpms, then I could swap out that rear pulley assembly for a keyed shaft and 2 pulleys, the lower one with a larger diameter to up the rpms some.  That would also require a longer belt and some trial/error.  That is for the belt that goes from the rear pulleys to the unit itself.

• larryd said thank you

#8 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 02:34 PM

Very nice attachments

larryd

• cookiemonster said thank you

#9 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,316 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 03:28 PM

Nice build!  That will look great on the front of the Panzer this winter and will do a good job on the snow.  I guess the only question now is, are ya sure you want to paint it black?   It would look great  in panzer blue!

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,218 Thanks
  • 28,590 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 05:51 PM

Dean and Frankie are back!

It's funny, I was just thinking about you and your trusty steed the other day... I was down most of the way to the Burgh and wondered if supper was on...

Hey, while I have your attention... There will be a couple of decent plow days near Butler next year.

Our FCVAEC plow day will be moving near the 173/i80 exchange and the WPGTA is planning on another near Renfrew next spring too.

#11 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 177 Thanks
  • 406 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 06:57 AM

Great job as always! Are you running a 90deg gearbox? or just routing a belt 90deg through idlers?

#12 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 09:08 AM

Well I am all caught up now. I have read all the posts on Frankie and I am impressed. You have built a real workhorse there.

#13 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Dean and Frankie are back!

It's funny, I was just thinking about you and your trusty steed the other day... I was down most of the way to the Burgh and wondered if supper was on...

Hey, while I have your attention... There will be a couple of decent plow days near Butler next year.

Our FCVAEC plow day will be moving near the 173/i80 exchange and the WPGTA is planning on another near Renfrew next spring too.

I've thought about plowing with this so many times now.  The 3 speed gives it a couple of creeper gears as panzers tend to go pretty quick even in low range at full throttle.  So it's got that going for it.  I'd never plowed anything so someone would have to help me with the fine tuning.  But I have the sleeve hitch for it so all I'd need is a single bottom brinly.  

Just for fun... I currently have no other use for a plow.

Great job as always! Are you running a 90deg gearbox? or just routing a belt 90deg through idlers?

90 degree through idlers.  Just like the stock 1107 tractor did for the mower I have on it and just like the cub cadet that the snowblower came off of.  I had a good bit of black dust come off the test run, but a couple of the idlers were rusty and there was one nut which was rubbing the belt a little.  I took care of the nut and am replacing 2 of the idlers.  They needed it regardless as they had some damage and weren't the best idlers to begin with.  The only replacements I could find were nylon ones, but they said they were highly flexible and abrasion resistant.  I will try and let you know.  They came from McMaster so they had better be good!  I buy their stuff when I need to know the quality of the part is good.  

Thanks for all the helpful comments.  Taking some time off from it as we have a vacation coming up and we've been preparing for an archery tournament for my one daughter.   So I won't have too much progress to show until after that's over on Aug 8th.

• MH81 said thank you

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,218 Thanks
  • 28,590 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 08:55 PM

If we manage to get to the same place at the same time, you can borrow one of our plows for the day and get Frankie as dirty as you want to.

I'll PM you when we get definite details, but they are usually mid and end of April

#15 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 12:46 PM

Good deal.  It may save me from explaining to the family (or even myself) why I'd pay $100 - $200 for a plow that I'll never use.