powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted October 16, 2011 - 08:26 AM

Some folks spray used motor oil, I personally use hydraulic fluid/bar and chain oil mix, and yes if you are doing it "commercially" folks can get tweeked. I do a couple rigs on a dirt driveway that sees more "crap" LEAKED on it over the rest of the year than I could ever drip on it doing a few cars. This year I bought a syphon feed tool from NAPA supposed to be used for applying soap to wheels and tires........ Warm the mix on an old camp stove, use an empty tin gallon can for the mix and wear a respirator!! Old clothes are a good idea too....
Drill 1/2" holes in rockers, doors etc and use plugs afterward. Most cars are more rust resistant now than 20 yrs ago but in the salt belt they take a beating so slowing that down is the name of the game.

#18 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted October 16, 2011 - 11:51 AM

I don't live too far from DH1 so we have the same weather conditions Iused to get them oiled but now i just get them crowned.

#19 chelsea dave OFFLINE  

chelsea dave

• Member No: 8215
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 10:20 PM

I have used Fluid Film. Makes a huge difference. You can put it on bare steel, let it sit outside and wont rust for months

I undercoat my vehicles every year, I use a guy in New Hampshire, he sprays Fluid Flim. Living on the rust belt. This is necessary, I have diesel pickup trucks and if I did not do this. The chassis would go long before the motor.. I don't know where you guys live but anyone in the area of New Hampshire should check them out. Most of the shops who used to do this have been put out of business by the EPA. Here is a link to his website NH Oil Undercoating
  • mikebramel said thank you

#20 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 07:33 PM

That time of year again, got three rigs done today, Probably another one tomorrow. Will have to do our new one next weekend as that one will have to have the doors and rockers drilled first. Not a fun job but pays off in the long run as we tend to keep our rigs for a while.

#21 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 10:07 PM

I do mine every fall, Dad is coming over tomorrow morning and we'll get my 2 and his truck done.

I've had a car since I was 16, never put a brake line or a fuel line on any of them. :canada:

Its a crappy job, but its worth it if your going to drive your car for the long haul. Our van is an 04, and no rust on it yet, I've been using tranny fuild on it, but I've got this semi drip stuff I'm going to use tomorrow,

My blazer went to the wrecker with 350K on it, no paint on the rockers, but no rust either, 10yrs of driving , no brake lines or fuel lines done.

#22 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:06 AM

Being a "southern boy" most of my life, I hadnt heard of this. We usually undercoat a vehicle once when new then forget about it....

Could have used this knowledge several years back when I sold an old truck.. It had a leaky rear main seal on the engine and rocker covers - could have sold it as a "self oiling" model.....
  • powerking56 said thank you

#23 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:57 PM

Coming in a little late on this one. I've never done that. But back in 1968 I worked the summer in a rediimix plant. We coated the entire truck outside and underside with diesel fuel to keep the cement from sticking to the trucks. Hate to admit that I think I hear the EPA knocking on the door? :wave: