• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 08:29 PM

I want to plant some cool weather crops for fall, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, carrots, beets.  I have a hard time getting anything direct seeded o grow in this heat, since I can't be home to water in the day, and the soil surface dries out.  I even have low germination on summer crops this time of year, 10% on cucumbers and zucchini.  My last planting of beets was a total failure.

How do you do it in the summer heat?  If I want to harvest these cool weather crops when it cools down, I need to start them now.  If I start them under lights in the garage, I might be able to keep them moist, but they will be hot, since the garage is hot.

Ideas?

#2 Jordan9682 OFFLINE  

Jordan9682
  • Member No: 31931
  • 71 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 09:25 AM

Would a soaker hose be an option? That should keep the soil moist so you can plant outside

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 04:53 PM

I would start them inside in a back bedroom. After they germinate, use some 4" shop lights with T8 6500K bulbs, as close to the plants as possible.

#4 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 06:19 PM

I have the lighting setup in my garage, but sprouting them in the house is a bit of a problem.  I have no basement, no free corner of the house.  The wife and 5 kids and I are jammed into a tiny house with a big garage!  I'll check the temperature on the refrigerator.  I start seed there in late winter because it is the warmest part of the house, but it has the advantage of being out of reach of my little boys.

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 09:22 AM

Back of a closet will work, all seeds need to germ is warmth, and moisture.