• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • Member No: 40455
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 05:56 PM

So I finally had a chance to run my 262, I haven't done anything to it yet, it's about 105F over here today with humidity.  I cut about 1 acre with no issue, I was really happy with how it ran, then I had some issues.

It started to hesitate even when not under load.  It would idle up and down, up and down, under load (I started the blades but was not moving) it would nearly stall, then I would turn the blades off, it would give a puff of black smoke and rev back up.  I would cut for a bit and it would stall, it would start right back up, I would cut for a bit and stall, and start right back up.  Then it was fine for about 20 mins, then it started cycling up and down once again.  It's odd because it was plenty hot long before the problem started.

That first acre I cut was great, I was really impressed with the power, the grass was about 5" long and wet and it mowed it without any problem whatsoever!

Thank you for your advice!

Matt

BTW:  I will be leaving for vacation soon so I apologize in advance for my late replies.

• boyscout862, Jack, Dieselcubmike and 1 other said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 05:58 PM

I would check for water in the gas, that what it sounds like to me.

• boyscout862, Jack and larryd have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 06:00 PM

Sure sound like maybe something may be loose or like Brian suggested water in the fuel.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 06:05 PM

I know little of these, but I'm wondering about vapor lock from tranny heat. Where's the tank and where does the gas line run?

#5 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 06:17 PM

I have seen the vapor point of the fuel causing problems like this in cars. It kind of sounds like a fuel related problem. Google the issue there is some interesting info out there like this.

http://en.wikipedia...._vapor_pressure

Edited by Jack, July 18, 2013 - 06:18 PM.

• MH81, boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#6 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 07:23 PM

So I let it sit for about 2 hours, started up and ran fine, I finished up the lawn, after about 20 mins the problem started again.  It would idle up and down, I'd put it in gear or start the blades and it would slowly die, if I turned the blades off or hit the clutch fast enough it would come back to life.  If it stalled out I would choke it and it would fire right back up again.

Very strange.

Matt

• larryd said thank you

#7 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Sounds like a fuel problem to me also

larryd

#8 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 08:56 PM

Possibly carb cleaning or rebuild in order maybe?

Matt

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 09:06 PM

It sounds just like my GT6000. Hose had gotten close to hydro and just the heat from it was making the gas vapor in the hose. Found it by seeing little bubbles in the gas as it was trying to pump gas after about the tenth stall... Only reason I saw it was because I was considering if a sudden and unexplained failure of the fuel filter and the ensuing fire would be covered by my insurance.

Stuff like this can be maddening. It could be mag/coil breakdown, stupid champion plug (not a big fan, but not my first guess), gas vaporizing, water in the fuel, possibly even a sticky valve.

Good luck, we're pulling for you. Keep eliminating, we'll keep suggesting :D

#10 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 09:31 PM

Also, was the carb apart recently?

Sounds like there's not enough fuel making it into the bowl of the carb.  I'd suggest just giving it a cleaning and set the float level.

#11 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 01:36 PM

Hello all, I'm back from vacation! So one of the first things I had to do was cut my grass, it's much cooler here now, in the mid 70's today and cloudy. Again she ran good for about an hour then the same thing all over again.

I found that when it starts to stall if I choke the engine it comes back to life before dying, but when I turn the choke off it starts to idle up and down again. Really weird, it cut perfectly for the first hour then out of nowhere this started happening. Some of my fuel lines were replaced with that thin clear fuel line, the largest section I saw was from the fuel pump to the carb so I replaced with black rubber fuel line but it didn't make a difference. I also topped up the gas and added some carb cleaner ( I thought I'd try that before taking apart the carb). Before I left for vacation I started it up and let it sit in my driveway idling, to get some of that carb cleaner through it and to see how it behaved. It sat in my driveway, in neutral running after one hour I heard it idle up and down then die.

All the gas should be through it now since I ran it nearly out of gas and filled it again, I'm going to check the fuel line to the tank, then the plug.

I also noticed that the battery light was on and never went off, when the mower stalled I couldn't start it, no juice!  Just tick tick tick...

So I boosted it off the car, when connected to the car the battery light was off, once I removed the jumper cables the light came on.  With the engine idling at high speed I measure about 12.2v at the battery with the mower off I measure between 11.5 and 12 at the battery.  I know I should measure about 12.5 - 14.7 at the battery when it's working correctly.  Do you think I should have the alternator checked or replace the battery?  Even when connected to the car it still idles up and down so I still think its heat related and probably not electrical related.  Of course I could be wrong :).

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!

Matt

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 01:52 PM

You're running out of fuel in the carb for some reason.  Once it sits a while it runs fine again?  Could be your vent in the fuel cap is plugged, vapor locked due to hot fuel lines, crud in tank clogging the fuel outlet....or more

#13 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 04:49 PM

Ok, I have a pretty good update here, first of all the previous owner bypassed the PTO switch and ignition switch because he said they didn't work.  The PTO switch didn't work because the tape he put over the seat switch came undone, so I retaped the seat switch (for now) and hooked up the PTO switch again and it works.

When the mower is running it puts out about 12.5 volts to the battery, when I turn on the PTO the voltage plummets to about, 1v, jumps up to 7, 9 then 12 again very quickly.  If I measure the voltage while the mower is running and begins stuttering and failing the voltage is all over and must be causing a fuel decrease to the carb since it has the wire hooked to the bowl.

If I try to reconnect the ignition switch it doesn't work, it's weird, if I measure the voltage to the small wire on the solenoid it measure almost 12v when the key is turned on BUT when you hook it to the solenoid it doesn't work, if you hook the wire up and measure the voltage on the tab on the solenoid and turn the key it's 0v.  So for some reason when the wire is connected to the solenoid and you turn the key it is 0v on the metal tab at the solenoid, so I put a wire from the female connector to the male connector on the solenoid and turned the key but it measures 0v as soon as it's connected.

Also I noticed that one of the wires that comes from the regulator was kind of burnt looking and wasn't making good contact in the connector so I fixed that.

My thinking is if I replaced the board behind the key and the regulator it would probably solve all my problems, is there anything else I should do instead of just random replacing parts?

Thanks all!

Matt

#14 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 08:27 PM

Alright, here's the final update for today.  I just got in after taking the dash apart and cleaning all the connections:

1)  The PTO switch works but it's broken off, the backside of the switch is hanging by a thread

2)  When it's running there's 12.2v at the battery, when I engage the PTO it drops to 11.66 and continues to decline, I'm not sure how far but I think eventually the battery slowly dies and the fuel is cut off to the carb, I'm not sure this is always consistent since I've never charged the battery and I've run it for an hour 3 times.

3)  When I reconnect the starter switch it does not work, as mentioned before when it's connected to the solenoid and you turn the key there's 0v at the solenoid, when you disconnect it from the solenoid and turn the key you measure 11.x volts

I'm starting to think I should replace the PTO switch, starter switch and board and voltage regulator, I only paid $375 for this mower so I don't mind putting a little money into it.  I don't think it could be the PTO but the battery might need replacing too.

Can you please tell me what you think?

Thanks,

Matt

#15 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 08:28 AM

Morning Update - 

So I decided to do some more tests.  As a reference (since it was kind of hard for me to find) my my mower has the AM126304 voltage regulator, it has six wires coming out of it, and they are:

Red - Which is the B+ (from what I know this should test 12v to the battery negative terminal)

Red w/blue - Ignition

Black - Ground

Yellow - AC and should measure 16-20V AC to the battery ground

Yellow - (2nd yellow) AC and should measure 16-20V AC to the battery ground

Brown - Indicator Light

I took some measurements and found that my two yellow wires on the VR to the battery ground are measuring 9-11v AC (it fluctuates), I checked it with a 2nd meter, both my digital and analog meter read the same.  I had the digital set to 200 Vac.

Next I disconnected the wire coming from under the flywheel cover, it's two black wires going into a connector.  I measured the voltage across both of these wires with the meter set to 200Vac and it measured 10.7 V AC and it was pretty steady.

If I'm not mistaken I should have measured 16-34 V AC at the stator right?  Maybe even higher?  I also did a continuity test on the stator and found it was not shorted out, however when I measured the resistance I expected to see .064>0.2 but it measured 0.8.

Sorry for SO many posts, I'm learning as I go.  I appreciate all your help.  Hopefully my findings will help someone else.

Matt