• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 09:21 AM

HH your in good hands listening to John @ Reliable. He's real good at his bidness.

He installed this system in my house.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374243611.699515.jpg

And then when I built my addition, he installed this one.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374243658.669091.jpg
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#17 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 11:05 AM

HH, I own a hvac company, and both coldone and bja105 are spot on.

As far as checking freon, sorry WildBill, but that's old school :D The only really important part is >>> proper airflow and system design, you can't have one with out each other, but we can work with what we have "most" of the time. I have "internet friends" :bigrofl:  all over the place, so if needed I may be able to get you someone local if needed.

That doesn't surprise me.  When I decided to retire from the Navy a buddy and I thought HVAC would be good to go into.  He stayed in Va Beach and opened his own company and I moved to Atlanta and worked for a HVAC company.  I quickly found out that I liked working on computers better.  :smilewink:

#18 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 05:40 PM

HH your in good hands listening to John @ Reliable. He's real good at his bidness.

He installed this system in my house.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1374243611.699515.jpg

And then when I built my addition, he installed this one.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1374243658.669091.jpg

All I can say is Ken, it works right ?  :beer::D  :bigrofl: :bigrofl:

P.S. Good news, was in a attic today 137 degrees, I should be skinny by fall if heat wave continues :rolling:

#19 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 08:17 PM

I wish a couple of the pros on this thread was in this area. I took a week off work to catch up on some chores around the house last week and well, to get away from some of the work stress. I had made an appointment a week before that to get my system charged as air was flowing well, cabinet was tight but the a-coil was icing up about of a third of it. I checked with a few other companies and this one was the only one that would fit into my vacation week without paying "rush" or "emergency" rates.

Wednesday at 10 am my appointment time came and went, I called and asked why at 1 pm and was told they were behind because of rain in the morning. OK I'll give 'em that. A serviceman will be there later today. No one shows up. I leave a polite message and got a call back 9:30 Thursday morning saying person is on his way to charge my unit. At 2:30 pm a guy does actually show up and says he is here to check my unit. I said I need it charged but he says we need to troubleshoot it. He goes about checking it out but is worried about his dog in the van since it was in the 90's. The van must not have AC since he left it parked clear out in the driveway under a shadetree. He checks the system and says that I need it charged. I said that is why I called you, to charge my a/c. He says he has no freon with him, gave his tanks to a serviceman that had to go 50 miles north, but should be on his way back to town anytime, so I will be back "sooner than later". Exact quote. At 4:30 pm I'm calling again wanting to get this over with. I'm told "he's on his way right now". I do live 8 miles east of town but I call again at 6 pm and get a recording service that says the box is full. It takes me about 10 minutes to get to town so I felt that an hour and a half was sufficient time. I get a call back at 7pm that they missed my call. The guy says he is just leaving Hill City, which is about 35 miles east up in the Black Hills. I asked if he had any intentions of charging my system tonight and he said he was on his way---again. Well he did show up at 8:30 pm, actually with a tank of R22! He did it in less than 10 minutes handed me a bill and I paid it up. He said a guy was here Monday in a green van to do it and no one was home. I said no, no one was here, I was home all day and evening. Then he said "your appointment wasn't until Saturday". I said my appointment was at 10am YESTERDAY! I checked to make sure that everything was working right then told him to get the hell off my property.

They wrecked 2 days of my vacation over a 10 minute job, and sure didn't help my stress level at all, a major reason I took the week off!

By the way, the name of the company is "Rapid Air"---LOL!!

Sorry about the rant!

Later---DAC

#20 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 10:05 PM

MFDAC, sorry to hear your problems, unfortunately many in the "business" are short term and just don't get it or care. I try to be upfront with customers, we can only be in one place at a time but are worth the wait, I guess after 25 years my plan is working :smilewink: . For a "company" to only have one R22 jug shared with other co-workers is questionable to say the least. I would suggest looking for a "reliable"  :D service company before you are at the mercy of the morons again. :thumbs:

• MFDAC said thank you

#21 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 10:06 PM

Just a heads up, last year a 30lbs jug of R22 was about $200. This year a 30lbs jug of R22 is right at $400. Its not doing anything but going up. It has been phased out and you will be looking at having to get a new system when your current R22 system has a major problem. Before long it will be cheaper to buy a new system than repair your old one. So everybody keep this in mind when budgeting for the next few years.

• MFDAC said thank you

#22 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 10:19 PM

Just a heads up, last year a 30lbs jug of R22 was about $200. This year a 30lbs jug of R22 is right at $400. Its not doing anything but going up. It has been phased out and you will be looking at having to get a new system when your current R22 system has a major problem. Before long it will be cheaper to buy a new system than repair your old one. So everybody keep this in mind when budgeting for the next few years.

Coldone, 475.00 on Wednesday @ local Johnstone but 25 buck discount if you brought two :mad2: :rolling: , but 410A has dropped from last year, under 75 with tax as of 3:15 today :thumbs:

P.S. I agree, it's only going to get worst for R22 system owners, I got a can of R12 from a customer today, he didn't know what to do with it, so I said I can get rid of it for you :D

#23 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 11:17 PM

Insulation, insulation, insulation, you're right John!  When my house was built oil was around nineteen cents a gallon... "We don need no stinkin' insulation!"  AND folks of that generation (My Folks!), when it came to hot nights... well, they "could take it".:D 

#24 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 12:09 AM

MFDAC, sorry to hear your problems, unfortunately many in the "business" are short term and just don't get it or care. I try to be upfront with customers, we can only be in one place at a time but are worth the wait, I guess after 25 years my plan is working :smilewink: . For a "company" to only have one R22 jug shared with other co-workers is questionable to say the least. I would suggest looking for a "reliable"  :D service company before you are at the mercy of the morons again. :thumbs:

Thanks, I was self employed for 15 years and definitly know about the one place at one time thing.
When your company goes nationwide open up a shop here in the Black Hills!
This company aint a new fly by night outfit either, they've been around at least 20 years.

I got charged 65 bucks for 2 pounds of r22. 

Coldone, 475.00 on Wednesday @ local Johnstone but 25 buck discount if you brought two :mad2: :rolling: , but 410A has dropped from last year, under 75 with tax as of 3:15 today :thumbs:
P.S. I agree, it's only going to get worst for R22 system owners, I got a can of R12 from a customer today, he didn't know what to do with it, so I said I can get rid of it for you :D

Is it possible that unscrupulous people could go around and steal r22 from home systems? My system was new in 2006 and I had to have it charged in 2008. They checked it for leaks then and found none---a different company than the one I spoke of earlier. This guy last week wanted to check for leaks but I was done with the incompetance so I sent them away once I knew that I had cold air blowin' again. Can I wrap some tape around the charging fittings so I know if the seal has been broken?

Thanks---DAC  

#25 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 07:23 AM

Is it possible that unscrupulous people could go around and steal r22 from home systems? My system was new in 2006 and I had to have it charged in 2008. They checked it for leaks then and found none---a different company than the one I spoke of earlier. This guy last week wanted to check for leaks but I was done with the incompetance so I sent them away once I knew that I had cold air blowin' again. Can I wrap some tape around the charging fittings so I know if the seal has been broken?

Thanks---DAC  

More than likely you just have a leak. Leaks can be very small and very hard to find. Its not unusual to find a system that only leaks out an ounce or two a year. A leak repair can get expensive quick. Hunting it down takes time and if its in a brazed joint all the refrigerant has to be pulled out before the repair can be made. Alot of times it is cheaper to pay a guy to come out and top it off every few years than it is to repair the leak.

If you really think someone is stealling your refrigerant, you can get a set of these.

http://noventcaps.com/

$65 for 2 lbs aint bad at the moment, Its going to get worse. I work on some very specilized refrigeration, some of the gasses I use wholesale for $1500 for 20lbs.

Edited by coldone, July 20, 2013 - 07:25 AM.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you