• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bnz 41 OFFLINE  

bnz 41
  • Member No: 10852
  • 12 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 11:57 AM

Several months ago I posted needing help on my 110.  As I dug into it I found that the flywheel was cracked and the keyway boogered up so all my meticulous carb adjusting and point setting were a waste of time since the timing was changing every time the crank went around.  I found a new flywheel on ebay and worked a little on it here and there, but we also had a new baby and the tractor found itself on the back burner.  When I finally got it back together, I had no spark.  The reason was and still is a mystery.  Finally, this week I had some time and did some research and I decided to scavenge parts off of a 112 to convert it to battery ignition instead of magneto.  A few minutes ago I put some gas in choked it a bit and it started right up after about 2 turns.  Happy Camper Here!  Now I need to go through it and do the normal basic maintenance like check belts and grease everything, but I'm thrilled to finally have a victory on this thing.

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, tinbender7 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,445 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 12:13 PM

:good_job: :wewantpics:   ildeere.gif

• larryd said thank you

#3 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 01:05 PM

WOOO HOOOO!

There, now that I am over the excitement, the 112 and 110 were Tecumsehs?  If so, I had/have a 10hp Tecumseh that didn't spark either.  It was a number of things.  The points push rod wouldn't move, it was frozen solid.  Once I replaced it, I could set the points.  I took the magneto coul off.  That's the one that is bolted above the flywheel.  I cleaned everything up and put it back on, using a business card or index card to set the gap.  Then I had to find a condenser as it was missing when I bought the tractor.  My tractor is a sears but when I bought it, the guy also had a JD 112 for sale that was in pretty rough shape. When I replaced the head gasket on my sears Tecumseh HH100, I couldn't find the belleville washers.  After looking for awhile for them, someone reminded me that JD also used HH100s and HH120s.  I checked with them and the washers were available.

Glad to see you got it running and Congratulations on the new baby!

• larryd said thank you

#4 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 01:05 PM

Good job, need pics

larryd
  • Trav1s said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 03:51 PM

Congratulations! It's always a great feeling when a dead engine springs to life after a marathon troubleshooting session. 

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 03:59 PM

Glad you got it running.  It always feels good when you accomplish a feat that seems difficult.  Congratulations on the new baby.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 04:56 PM

Congrats on the new offspring! And again on getting the tractor running! Great job on both parts!

#8 bnz 41 OFFLINE  

bnz 41
  • Member No: 10852
  • 12 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 10:25 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have any new pics, but I posted these when I bought them about a year ago. http://gardentractor...tractors/page-2

Thanks for all the well wishes.  Our daughter just turned 9 mos. so it's amazing that I have any time to work on my JD, but it's a fun time nonetheless.

#9 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 11:22 PM

WOOO HOOOO!

There, now that I am over the excitement, the 112 and 110 were Tecumsehs?  If so, I had/have a 10hp Tecumseh that didn't spark either.  It was a number of things.  The points push rod wouldn't move, it was frozen solid.  Once I replaced it, I could set the points.  I took the magneto coul off.  That's the one that is bolted above the flywheel.  I cleaned everything up and put it back on, using a business card or index card to set the gap.  Then I had to find a condenser as it was missing when I bought the tractor.  My tractor is a sears but when I bought it, the guy also had a JD 112 for sale that was in pretty rough shape. When I replaced the head gasket on my sears Tecumseh HH100, I couldn't find the belleville washers.  After looking for awhile for them, someone reminded me that JD also used HH100s and HH120s.  I checked with them and the washers were available.

Glad to see you got it running and Congratulations on the new baby!

110's never had a Tecumseh.  112's did have the HH100 in the RF tractors in 1966 and 1967 and used a starter/generator.  The later 112 used the HH100 from 1968 - 1971.  The 1969 - 1971 112 was also available with a 10 HP kohler.  From 1972-1974 the 112 had the K301 12 HP Kohler.  

Good to see another one revived and kicking along.

Edited by Trav1s, July 18, 2013 - 11:22 PM.

• robert_p43 said thank you