• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 11:16 AM

Guys Im to the point with my WH project where I need to purchase tires. Having never purchased GT tires before I thought Id ask for reviews on a few brands, pricing is all over the board and I have no clue which brands are good, better, or run away.

I guess the best starting point is what the machine will spend its time doing, it is not going to be mowing lawn, it will be spending time pulling trailers, plowing/blowing snow, and pulling a moldboard or disk at the local plow days so Im thinking lug tires are in order for the back and tri ribs for the front, or is there a better option?

So whats your preference with the manufacturers,, Deestone, Carlisle, Firestone anyone head and shoulders above the rest?
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 11:42 AM

Carlisle ags deestones are good rear and tri ribs would be good on front. I bought new turf tire for front of my jd 314 but wish I had tri ribs

larryd

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 11:54 AM

What size tires?

With one of my Bolens Large Frames that uses 26x12-12 rears I put on a set of CST ANCLA tires.  They are a very aggressive 'lug' tire and quite a bit cheaper that the likes of Carlisle, etc.

I liked them so well that when I needed tires for my 'plowing tractor', I went with the same tires again, except I went with 26X11-12s.  The biggest reason was that they were/are on sale CHEAP, $74.99/tire. Being 1" narrower doesn't effect traction or flotation enough to matter.

http://www.discountu...IRES-UTV-TIRES/

For the fronts I went with 18x8.50-8 Vredestein 6 Ply V61 Heavy Duty 5-Rib tires from Miller tire.  Those actually cost as much as the rears, at $75.00/tire.  I went with the 6-plys for the weight carrying ability.  They do have them in 4-ply for $65.00.

http://www.millertir...hd-5-rib-6-ply/

Here's what they look like mounted on the tractor:

100_4684.JPG 100_4685.JPG 100_4688.JPG

• js5020 said thank you

#4 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 12:26 PM

The tires I removed were 23x8.50x12 and 16x6.50x8,,, the manual says it should have had 23x9.50x12,,, the original owner must have downsized to save a few beans? 

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 12:34 PM

That might have been the case.  Of course the with a narrower tire you will get better traction, but less flotation.

At that size my setup won't be available.  The smallest Ancla tires I've listed have been 25x8-12 and 25x10-12 which would probably be too tall for fit  on your tractor

• js5020 said thank you

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 12:36 PM

What brand of tires and style of tread did your tractor originally have?

I'm not a big fan of the atv looking tires...

• js5020 said thank you

#7 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 01:24 PM

What brand of tires and style of tread did your tractor originally have?

I'm not a big fan of the atv looking tires...

It had turfs front and back, the rears were Goodyears, I think,, and the fronts were Kendas,, are the bar tires the answer here or would turfs and chains do better with the list of tasks,,, lets face it plowday is only two days of the year so realistically if turfs and chains would be a better all around choice Im up for that.

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 01:40 PM

The Ags would be the best choice for what you to do, but for snow plowing/blowing you would need chains that are designed for Ags.  They are available but aren't cheap.

http://www.kenjones....23x10x12=

Edited by OldBuzzard, July 18, 2013 - 01:41 PM.

• js5020 said thank you

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 01:58 PM

Guys Im to the point with my WH project where I need to purchase tires. Having never purchased GT tires before I thought Id ask for reviews on a few brands, pricing is all over the board and I have no clue which brands are good, better, or run away.

I guess the best starting point is what the machine will spend its time doing, it is not going to be mowing lawn, it will be spending time pulling trailers, plowing/blowing snow, and pulling a moldboard or disk at the local plow days so Im thinking lug tires are in order for the back and tri ribs for the front, or is there a better option?

So whats your preference with the manufacturers,, Deestone, Carlisle, Firestone anyone head and shoulders above the rest?

What year and model is your Wheel Horse? I can tell you what it came with from the factory.

• js5020 said thank you

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 02:06 PM

Cheaper brands like Deestone, Nankang, Kenda, and other lesser known names have decent tires for sure, BUT, most all of them do NOT match the size they state on the tires.  For that reason, I stay with Carlisle or Titan myself, unless for a trailer queen that I won't actually work.  If you don't mind a "so called" 23x10.50/12 only measuring 22x9+/12, then Deestone is a fine tire, and quite a bit cheaper.

• js5020 said thank you

#11 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 03:07 PM

What year and model is your Wheel Horse? I can tell you what it came with from the factory.

These are for the 16 Auto I am bringing back to life in the WH forum,, should be a 1973.

#12 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 03:10 PM

Cheaper brands like Deestone, Nankang, Kenda, and other lesser known names have decent tires for sure, BUT, most all of them do NOT match the size they state on the tires.  For that reason, I stay with Carlisle or Titan myself, unless for a trailer queen that I won't actually work.  If you don't mind a "so called" 23x10.50/12 only measuring 22x9+/12, then Deestone is a fine tire, and quite a bit cheaper.

I had heard the diameter of some tires were not what they claimed,, this might be a problem for moldboard plowing, Im thinking the  loss of ground clearance is somthing not desired?

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 03:45 PM

If you go with AG's for the back and do any snow plowing or blowing on icy surfaces you will need chains as AG's are useless on ice. Worse than turfs. Turfs also tend to work better with chains due to their flat profile but a good set of 2 link chains works wonders with AG's. I had Carlisle Tru Power on the back of a JDx475 and they were OK for snow removal with the chains. That tire is not too aggressive for lawn mowing having smaller lugs at closer spacing than some other AG tires. Plowing a garden is a very special application for tires and AG's are going to be the best choice. The Carlisle All Trail is what JD offers as a tire choice on some of the new GT's .They are considered a very good all purpose tire but I don't think they would do well on plow day.