#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 08:34 AM

Well, not officialy, but I've been shaving goats the last three nights and my daughter had a clothing project judged yesterday, son has a small engine project judged today. He probably won't do well, he waited until last night to work on it. :mad2:
Tomorrow will be goat bathing day, run to grounds & get pens and cages ready, then Saturday animals are to report for duty. Sunday is first official open day and showing beings. Definitely won't be a vacation for good ole dad, I will need to come back to work to rest :smilewink:
I have downtime at work in mornings so I visit out here everyday, but probably won't be on much after today for the next 8-9 days. I'll try to keep updates through the week how we do.

Here was last shaving from last night, our big old girl doe boer... "crack head" , her registered name is Crack Me Up, but she acts like shes hitting the pipe half the time :bigrofl:

Crack.jpg
Crack 2.jpg
  • MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, jd.rasentrac and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 09:20 AM

Good Luck to all Y'all, keep us up to date on how the kiddos do !! :thumbs:

• TAHOE said thank you

#3 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 09:29 AM

I like how your shaving rack is also a rack for the hitch.. Have some fun while you can doing all you do..  I sure hope that the fair's have not started giving out the same ribbons to everyone.. Friends of mine up here have their girl in Soccer.. There is no loosing team  ever.. 

• TAHOE said thank you

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 09:47 AM

I like how your shaving rack is also a rack for the hitch.. Have some fun while you can doing all you do..  I sure hope that the fair's have not started giving out the same ribbons to everyone.. Friends of mine up here have their girl in Soccer.. There is no loosing team  ever.. 

Yea, I needed a goat stand for shaving and I was milking last year, had a larger home made hitch tray I rarely used sooooo.... made some legs and head stall for it. I designed it so I can just raise legs/head poles, haul it to wherever, then lower legs and stand is ready or remove and still have transport tray. I may change it though to four short legs, then put one adjustable bar in the middle with an actually head clamp that their head fits into then just the neck one like I have. Just have to be careful with hitch bar, can be a shin splitter!

We do have those kids that excell every year at the fair, yrs of great breeding or the few that spend super bucks buying top notch animals so those come to the top every year, but the judges are brought in from out of state ( at least for goats) so there is no favoritism, all based on good animals and kids who know showmanship.

Edited by TAHOE, July 18, 2013 - 09:48 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and Team_Green have said thanks

#5 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 10:22 AM

same procedure as every time:  :wewantpics:  and  goodluck.gif

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 11:39 AM

Got pics but updating from phone so have to wait till I load to computer.
Got animals all checked in yesterday, had to take our dairy wether home since he was too small,
min weight is 50#, he came in at 47# even with my toe on the scale ;-)
Got a born and raised show tonight for market goats ( only
goats born in county compete), chicken on Monday, rabbits and all goats on Weds.
Thankfully it cool down a little animals seem to be handling the hot barns.
Off to wash and trim some hooves for show tonight.
Later
  • MH81 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 12:00 PM

Nanny goats are a real hoot! If dogs didn't exist, goats would be a fill in for sure. They're smart and useful as a beast of burden. Guard goats, too!

Billys, not so much. Yuck!!! Did you ever see a Billy pee on his head?

Edited by LilysDad, July 21, 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#8 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 03:15 PM

Our County Fair is in Sept. I've wondered how they judge the produce catagories in July. I don't even have any tomatoes yet.

#9 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 01:21 AM

Nanny goats are a real hoot! If dogs didn't exist, goats would be a fill in for sure. They're smart and useful as a beast of burden. Guard goats, too!

Billys, not so much. Yuck!!! Did you ever see a Billy pee on his head?

Yes I did, back in 4th grade and he was immediately sent to a special school.  Disgusting! :D

Edited by HydroHarold, July 22, 2013 - 01:22 AM.

• LilysDad said thank you

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 06:39 PM

Dairy Billy's are the worst, pee on their "goatee" . Our Boer buck is not that bad.

So, got the two boer market in the "born and raised" show last night, the 73 pounder placed 5 out of 9, the 66 pounder did not place in his class. We have no clue what we are doing in the meat goats yet.

Been watching a chainsaw wood carver that came this year, pretty cool the stuff he makes with a saw.

Also a few old tractors on display, wishing more , but hey, take what ya get.

Also helped with poultry show today, a girl in our 4H club got grand and reserve grand champions on her market turkeys, and man, are they heavy. Scratch pretty bad do, looks like I tried to slit my wrist up to my elbow, ouch!!!

Here are just a few pics, next shows for us is Weds, rabbits and goats and after that, all done until we sell goats at market auction Saturday.

Edit: Sorry for small pictures, pone shrank them when I transferred for some reason

Market boers

fair 2.jpg

Dairy market- Oberhasli

fair.jpg

Our breeding Boer does, Crack- big girl and daughter Emma

fair 1.jpg

Chains saw carver

fair 6.jpg

fair 3.jpg

old tractors

fair 4.jpg

fair 8.jpg

fair 7.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, July 22, 2013 - 06:40 PM.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and LilysDad have said thanks

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 08:12 PM

Slow day today nothing pressing other than goat stall cleanout and hanging out. Got stuck in small animal barn due to rain storms, came in waves, we were stuck in there for at least hour and half, I got soaked closing barn windows. Then no one could leave cause it was 6" deep flooded all around the barn for a bit.

Did get to see some of the antique tractor pulls, my buddy was pulling his Farmall M, didn't do so good though, ran out of power early and it overheated. He's not sure what going on.

Here's a pic of it, I'm so starting to love this paint scheme.

2013-07-23_14-34-12_554.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, July 23, 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Overheat and power loss?
Been there' done that.
Once with a lean mix (thanks to someone else with a flat blade) that was at the pull and once when a set of points opened up gap wise

I wish him luck in tracking down the problem. Also let him know the paint job cool from here too.

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 12:01 PM

Well, it's over...thank goodness! 9 days of not what I call a vacation.

Animal run down..

Rabbits- no good 3rd and 8th I think

Chickens- only place top 8, there was 35 pens of laying hens

Goats-

son got 4th in boer market, 5th in boer breeder with our doe

Daughter got 1st in class with our young boer doe

Friend's son got 2nd in class with dairy market, 4th with boer market.

The 3 markets got sold, two does came home.

Son got 2nd in his small engine project, he actually beat out many kids who were in small engine clubs, I was surprised.

Daughter got 4th in Rabbits "skillathon" and 1st in chicken" skillathon" which are tests with 5 sections of 5 random questions, body parts, breeds, diseases, etc. We were all shocked,even her, at that one as she never steadies that stuff and doesn't do chickens.

...and I brought home 2 Guineas our friends showedt but didn't want to take home, not sure about these things.

I will post some pics once I download and get a free few mins. It's been crazy since last weds, then I come to work and am super busy, even my hour lunch is cut down to 25 mins today. :wallbanging:

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and twostep have said thanks

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 06:16 PM

Sounds like a good family week, even if it was hectic.

Glad you placed respectably, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the... Well, you get the idea.

As for your son and his red ribbon on engines: and you thought he wasn't listening all those times you were babbling on about tractors.

The pics I am looking forward to, just be sure to put your feet up and have a cold one first, sounds like you deserve it.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 11:22 AM

Sounds like a good family week, even if it was hectic.

Glad you placed respectably, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the... Well, you get the idea.

As for your son and his red ribbon on engines: and you thought he wasn't listening all those times you were babbling on about tractors.

The pics I am looking forward to, just be sure to put your feet up and have a cold one first, sounds like you deserve it.

Yea placing is good especially with your own bred stock, my daughter's little doe was our kidding this spring. We breed for the fair or buy market each year from someone else so it's a roll the dice for us pretty much. Kids are losing interest also an I do it for them so you get lucky occasonally.

Son was surprised too, all the other kids had dis-assembled a motor, screwed it to boards and labeled them, he just did a poster with pictures. They have work books they have to study and fill out, he actually showed the judge stuff in the book the judge didn't know was in there.....and mom tells them to talk alot, it helps majorly. He also told judge that we have a bunch of old GT's and that we are restoring a couple, made him look good I think.

I plan to start helping him restore his Sears DB 725 Suburban this winter for next year :smilewink:

I wished I could rest, was already working on wife's Jeep on Sunday then I have sooooo much yard work and garen to tend to, my house, mom's and her nieghbor's.

I'll try to get some pics soon.