• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 08:47 AM

To all, please stay hydrated and cool. I know for a fact that heat stroke is no fun cause I've had one. If it hadn't been for my wife and neighbour I wouldn't be here to talk about it. I was weed eating and mowing etc. I told wife I would be in house in 15 minutes . I cramped up every where so I made it to my shop under fan and when she didn't hear anything she came looking and found me with my eyes rolled back in my head and not hardly breathing. The neighbour just happen to stop in his truck and they put me in it and carried me to hospital cause no time to wait on ambulance I was basically gone
So as the story goes here I am today and can no longer take the heat So I'm saying from experience please be careful

larryd
  • NUTNDUN, jms180 and farmer john have said thanks

#17 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 08:48 AM

Alc, my wife and I were talking about that yesterday. Our living room and kitchen was in a walkout basement when I was growing up. It was very cool in there compared to the outside. Now my dad was in the HVAC business and we never had a A/C unit until the late 60s. My wife said they had a pool and their basement was where they spent their time. I don't remember having an option to play inside during the day in the summer. We were supposed to be outside playing. When we wanted a drink to cool down riding our bikes and running in the fields and around the house, we used the garden hose. No TV with 300 channels, to computers, Ipads, etc.. We went in at noon and then back in for dinner after our chores were done. Now we didn't live on a farm but did at the time live in the country. (that area now is so built up that where we hunted and fished is all homes now!) Heat didn't affect us then like it does now. As I get older the heat and cold affects me more in negative ways. I guess that is the way life goes. Hope everyone stays safe and cool stay hydrated thur this heat wave. Roger. 9:45am here and it is already 89*

• Alc, farmer john and larryd have said thanks

#18 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 09:12 AM

We had something like 30 days of this last year, and NO rain.

It's much better this year.
  • hamman, farmer john and larryd have said thanks

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Today will be our hottest of the year, and we're pouring concrete!  Luckily just 8 yards, and an easy job.  Otherwise, I'm doing as little as possible.

No concrete till around noon tomorrow.  Concrete company (IMI) is covered up at the moment.

• hamman, farmer john and larryd have said thanks

#20 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 11:13 AM

I'm loving this weather!

I'll take 80-95 degree temps and sun any day compared to the cold winters around here.

• farmer john and larryd have said thanks

#21 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 12:31 PM

Geez, I forgot all about the 4 years I spent next to 400lbs. of molten 356C aluminum and a hot die casting machines and between the melt out ovens and the centrifugal machines...  But, I was in my 20's and invicible then!:D 

Funny thing though, none of us that worked the casting end of the business ever got sick.  Flu, colds, etc. went through the machine shop, shipping and offices but us casting guys were always healthy. Note:  Some days were missed during "Opening Day for Trout" and some other days for various "Hunting" and "M/C Riding Excursions", but not any real "sicknesses". :D

• MH81, farmer john and larryd have said thanks

#22 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 12:43 PM

Days with this kind of heat can be oppressive, but they are still better than days with temps in the 20s and wind.

• farmer john and larryd have said thanks

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 01:48 PM

Days with this kind of heat can be oppressive, but they are still better than days with temps in the 20s and wind.

That all depends on what jobs you have to do.  If one is retired, then this weather as well as the other extreme doesn't matter nearly as much.  I can handle 20's with wind much easier than extreme heat.  My Wife will attest to it being easier to live with me in colder weather as well!  :smilewink:   That said, I have no intentions or desire to go move into KoO's kingdom either, as unless it gets below zero with wind, I'm not put out too bad with cold.  I become an angry bear with heat at times though.

• farmer john said thank you

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 06:34 PM

I'm too tired & worn down by the heat to be an angry bear at this point.  Sure be glad to see the front move through my area tomorrow.  Should go back to mid to upper 80's for next week.

How are you guys making out?  I know John@reliable was in a 137F attic today......whew, that hurts thinking about it!

#25 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Apparently, wood and deer ticks don't care what the temp is outside. I never knew that until this week.

#26 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 10:49 PM

Apparently, wood and deer ticks don't care what the temp is outside. I never knew that until this week.

Hotter the better for ticks, so I've found.  I must be getting used to the weather, it didn't seem too bad yesterday and today.  Of course as soon as I see the shooting stars and flashing lights I come inside for Gatorade and a rest!:D

I wondering how happy I'll be after that "cold front activity" comes through tomorrow.  Some of those cold front things nearly blew me and all my stuff away in past times!:D

#27 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,908 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 08:31 PM

It was a couple degrees cooler today, and the humidity dropped. :dancingbanana:  Finally! I spent half the day up on the roof and it felt better than it did inside the last several days. Hope it lasts for a while.

#28 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Just finished sweeping in the rest of the crack filling sand into the patio pavers.  I was dripping sweat so bad, I was afraid I'd start setting this special sand up solid! (polymetric sand)

Tomorrow's my day off, and I don't plan to do anything to make me sweat if I can help it.  I'm sick to death of sweating like a river!!!

#29 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 09:25 PM

It's so stinking hot and muggy around here I can't stand it. Give me 20 below zero over this crap any day.

Temp did drop 10 degrees this evening when a storm front went through. But it's still muggy.

It's been so warm here that my pool water is 86-87. Not very refreshing.

A bit cooler they say next week. Thankfully. When it's still in the 80's after midnight, that's just wrong.

Thankfully both jobs I'm working on have had AC. Between the AC guy and myself, we do everything in our power to either keep an old unit functional or get a new one temped up ASAP.

• olcowhand and farmer john have said thanks

#30 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 12:35 AM

"Temp did drop 10 degrees this evening when a storm front went through. But it's still muggy."

Humidity here was in the 50%'s during the day, not bad even with the heat.  But we didn't get that storm front all the weather people were hyping for this area.  I guess it all went to Canada and New Jersey.  I looked at the lightning signature radars late this afternoon for the Atlantic City area and they nearly covered over the map features.  Musta been like that or worse up North!   Well, it is July and very much like the weather geezers like me grew up in through the '50's, early '60's...  In the long run Ma Nature is very repetitive in her cycles.  Or is it all that darn old style Freon....?:D